PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Ruger Blackhawk

bones37
03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I am considering the purchase of a Blackhawk in 45 colt, and possibly 44 special. I have always been a S&W fan, but would like a single action. I am already set up casting for 44 spec/mag. in my Smiths, but was wondering about the Ruger in 45 colt. How are the Rugers as far as casting, accuracy, etc. Are there any peculiarities that I should know of? Thanks.

wellfedirishman
03-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Buy one and enjoy.

I am also a big S&W double action fan, but I love Ruger Single Actions too.

A 45LC Blackhawk is hard to beat. I have a pair of 44 Mags also (7.5") that I use for Cowboy Action shooting and they are great with cowboy loads. They also handle heavy loads very well for hunting, etc.

Ruger Single Actions are bull strong, and very accurate. You will not be disappointed.

Shooter6br
03-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I am pleased with my Blackhawk in 327 Fed

canyon-ghost
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Ah, the New Model Blackhawk, near and dear to my heart! I'm buying my second one now. I have a 41 magnum that I dearly love to shoot, getting a 44 Special soon. The Blackhawks usually have tight tolerances on the cylinders. I have cylindersmith (a vendor sponsor here) open them up, he does good work.

I found that they come from the factory pretty dirty, the machine grit in them will make the trigger seem stiff. To be honest, I take mine apart and clean the entire inside before I use them. That cylinder pin that runs to the back will scratch if you aren't careful, clean the inside of the cylinder hole for that pin, Qtips, cotton swabs.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you can have a gunsmith clean it. I'm very mechanically inclined so, it's no big deal to me.

Those are the only two modifications I'd recommend, just clean and possibly have the cylinder opened up for lead, it doesn't hurt anything at all. I've been shooting the 41 magnum for a year now and, wow, is it ever nice!
Ron

handyman25
03-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I have two Ruger 45lc Blackhawks that I use for cowboy action shooting. they are good revolvers but mine had a common problem. First the throats were very tight, .450 next the barrel where it screws into the frame was tight and was .451, barrels meausered at .452 and .4525. One of the revolvers the forceing cone looked as it was threaded. The revolvers leaded very bad.:groner: I polished the forceing cone, opened up the throats to .454 lapped the barrel to .4525 where it screws into the frame. Now the revolvers shoot great and no leading. Since you are already set up for 44 special/44 mag I would go with that. I think the problem is that Ruger is shooting the 45acp and the 45 Long Colt in the same revolver/barrel. With jacked bullets I would think no problem, but with lead you have a 45acp at .452 and 45LC at .454. It is my guesss that this is the heart of the problem. I have been reloading/casting:cbpour: since 1960 so I only know a little but I am learning more almost every day.

2 dogs
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
My buddy Cast and Blast gave me this one for my 50th Birthday. Its a KILLER extrodinaire!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/Fermin_pics/017-1.jpg
I converted it to Bisley and took it hunting..
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/Fermin_pics/IMG_0287.jpg

targetshootr
03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Each gun is different but on balance, Rugers are the best bang for the buck.

white eagle
03-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I also own them are great revolvers

pmer
03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a '80s 4 5 /8 " Blackhawk in 45 colt. It HAD tight throats too, now it shoots better and doesn't lead so much. I am told the newer ones have better tolerances and the throats on my 50th Aniv. flat top were good out of the box.

I wonder if it would be wierd to bring a bullet and slide it through the thoats prior to purchase?

Rodfac
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Lot's of anecdotal evidence about .45's from Ruger, having tight cylinder throats. I've had two, .45 LC's, and both were small (.449 to .451) and both leaded excessively. Cylindersmith opened them both up to .4525 for me with gratifying results. I can depend on sub 2" gps with any reasonable cast boolit handload from either; and the leading issues have gone away. Just my results, yours may vary, Rod

44man
03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
My buddy Cast and Blast gave me this one for my 50th Birthday. Its a KILLER extrodinaire!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/Fermin_pics/017-1.jpg
I converted it to Bisley and took it hunting..
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/Fermin_pics/IMG_0287.jpg
I see I am not the only one with a magic marker! :bigsmyl2:
Good shooting, nice porker.

HammerMTB
03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Until recently I had a late build (2009) NM Blackhawk 4-5/8" in .45 Colt. I kinda hated to see it go, but I have a Redhawk I favor more.
Mine was good with cast right from the box, and they are hella stout. You can load any published load n them and depend on 'em. In a 4-5/8", heavy loads will buck pretty stout, but they are sure fun to shoot!

NHlever
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
The 45 Colt Blackhawks of recent manufacture have been good as far as the cylinder throat / barrel dimensions go. I have both a 7 1/2", and a 4 5/8", and both are good shooters. One common problem that all Blackhawks, and Super Blackhawks seem to have for me lately is that they could use a taller front sight! That is no problem on the stainless guns, but is a bit hard to fix short of seniding it back with the blued models.

man.electric
03-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Depending on the loads you plan on shooting, I would recommend adding a locking base pin the .45. After upgrading one Ruger with a Belt Mountain pin, they now all get the treatment. The oversize pin automatically eliminates the end shake that is common on most Ruger cylinders.

bbs70
03-08-2011, 10:24 AM
The last 2 Rugers I've had were .45s.
A NV and a stainless blackhawk.
The NV was lighter than the blachhawk, and wasn't meant to shoot heavy loads.
The Blackhawk was heavier and you could shoot almost anything in it.
To me weight translated into lighter felt recoil.

When I got the Blackhawk I took it to Bill Oglesby and had him do an action job on it,slick it up, hone cylinders, cut the forcing cone, etc.
He measured the trigger pull at 7 1/2 lbs out of the box.
Quite heavy I thought even for a gun that wasn't broke in yet.
It was a good gun after that.
Strong and dependable.

But since I used it for target shooting I thought it was kind of heavy for my taste.
I'm not a hunter, and don't shoot heavy loads.
I decided to get a US Firearms .45, it is lighter in weight and not meant for heavy loads.
But for the shooting I do it was perfect.

All the Rugers I've owned (4) shot to the left, I thought it was me, and it still might be me.
The US Firearms Rodeo shoots dead straight which makes me wonder about the Rugers.
Rugers are good guns, they will last forever and are reasonably priced.
I just prefer my US Firearms .45.

lbaize3
03-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I also like Ruger and S&W. I have 45 Colt, 44 mag and 44 special revolvers in both Ruger and S&W. I especially like the Blackhawk in 44 special. Getting older has dampened my desire to shoot mag loads in a single action. The 44 special has been reserved for 700 fps loads that are accurate and a joy to shoot. I also enjoy my 45 Colt revolvers with 250 grain bullets at about 750 fps. I suggest a max load of Trial Boss for a clean and accurate load. The newer Blackhawks have not needed the 11 degree forcing cone cutter I have. And drop one leg off the trigger return spring and you have a great trigger. Get one, you'll have fun with it, regardless of the caliber chosen.

Dale53
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
In the past two years I have purchased several Rugers:
1 - 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum with 6½" barrel. I have only test shot this one
but it shoots VERY well indeed.

2 - .44 Lipsey Special with 5½" barrel. The only thing I did to this one is have a
trigger job done. It is a PREMIUM revolver in most every way.

3 - Ruger SS .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible - the cylinder throats were undersize
in the Colt cylinder and caused leading that seriously reduced accuracy. I
couldn't even chamber my cast bullet .45 ACP's. I borrowed a reamer kit
(built for the purpose) and reamed both cylinders (as well as for two friends
of mine who had bought the revolvers when I did). Now, all three revolvers
and all six cylinders work better than you can imagine. They are match pistol
accurate and NO LEADING whatsoever with our cast bullet loads.

4 - A week ago I took delivery of a new Ruger SS Flattop with 4 5/8" barrel in
.44 Special. It is one of the finest finished revolvers I have seen. The cylinder
throats are the proper size (.431") and the chambers are polished to
perfection. I have not yet shot it but will do so in the next couple of days.
I believe this one will perform at least as well as my other recently acquired
Rugers.

Dale53

missionary5155
03-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Greetings
I also shoot the 41 Mag BH (numerous) and 45 Colt (2). I f I was set up for 44 I would go that route. There just is not that much difference in .452 to .430 to warrent all the molds,dies and brass. I just did not have any more 44´s when I decided to get the 45´s to go along with the 41´s.

ironhead7544
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I have had numerous BH and SBH over the years. Currently I have a 5 and 1/2 inch Flat Top 44 Special. Its the best of the bunch. Dont feel like I need any others. The cylinder is .432 and the grooves are .430. Just my .02.