PDA

View Full Version : Case-activated linkage

cwskirmisher
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I have been using a Piggyback II progressive add-on to my Rockchucker for many years. Without debating the pros and cons of that setup, I like it and it works for me just fine. Recently however I have had an unusual amount of stoppages due to the powder throw actuating rod jamming. I heard that RCBS now has a case-activated linkage kit to upgrade the Uniflow and discard the old rube goldberg setup.
Does anyone have any experience with the case-activated linkage system on their Uniflow? Would like to hear more before I spend $80.

Thanks

buck1
03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I have 3 of them. They work great . I have had them for a a wile now and have had no issues at all. Self contained and only drop powder when a case is present. very heavy duty and will last forever.
The only thing I dont like is parting with $80.00.
I was trying to save a buck and got the Lee perfict powder measuer with the automatic die atatchment, and then the pro auto disc set up with riser and needed lee powder through die.
They work but the RCBS has them beat hands down.....Buck

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/14440

TCFAN
03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
You might also look at Midway for the Hornady case activated powder drop. I use 2 of them on Hornady ProJectors press. One is on a old pacific measure and the other is on a RCBS . About 55.00 dollars

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=591344

.....Terry

Doc Highwall
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I have looked at pictures of both the Hornady and RCBS and they both look alot like each other. Does anyone have experience with both of them?

cwskirmisher
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
You might also look at Midway for the Hornady case activated powder drop. I use 2 of them on Hornady ProJectors press. One is on a old pacific measure and the other is on a RCBS . About 55.00 dollars

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=591344

.....Terry

Thanks. Looked at the Hornady, and although it says it works on 'other's' stuff, I read in a review that the throw geometry on a Uniflow was just enough different to be problematic. May or may not be true, but RCBS is offering a $10 rebate on reloading equipment purchases >$50, so that makes the RCBS linkage competitive with Hornady, so I'll get the RCBS.

cwskirmisher
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
The RCBS linkage arrived today. Took me 15 minutes to assemble and adjust it - and I was cranking out rounds. It is awesome, works very smoothly and positively. The return spring is strong enough that I almost don't have to lower the ram myself... the powder throw is working like new and no more rube goldberg linkages. What a difference!

noylj
03-08-2011, 08:55 PM
It looks like they either licensed it from Hornady or simply copied it.
My Hornady has performed great.
Personally, if I was to go out and buy one, I might just buy the Dillon, because the Dillon is simpler (definitely NOT better). Of course, I really like the Lee Pro Auto-Disk and their PTE dies a lot (note: the words are "a lot." Alot is not a word and Allot means something totally different).

cwskirmisher
03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I have been using my progressive press with the newly installed case-activated linkage for about a week now on and off. All I can say is, halleluia - I had no idea how much easier and faster I could load rounds. I no longer have to babysit the powder drop itself except to occasionally refill the reservior! I have finally made it to 20th century technolgy. Can you tell I am really happy with this conversion? :bigsmyl2: