PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 1200 Powder Dispenser

vp146b4
11-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Does anybody have any comments about the Lyman 1200 Digital Powder System? I'm especially interested in how long does it take to dump each charge including the trickle time. Also, how accurate is it really? Is the RCBS model worth the extra bucks? Thanks.

454PB
11-24-2006, 12:21 AM
I have one, it's a very well made and accurate dispenser. The problem is that I don't use it much, because it isn't worth setting up unless you are loading a lot of rounds. The setup and then the cleanup takes more time than using my old conventional scale and powder measure for anything less than 100 rounds.

Once it is setup, the fastest way to use it is with another powder measuring device. I know that sounds odd, but I'm usually throwing charges for a rifle that are 70 or more grains. The powered "trickler" takes a long, long time to dispense that much powder. What I usually do is use one of the Lee dippers that throws about 5 to 10 grains light, then dump that dipper full in the pan and hit the dispense button. I guess if you were loading 4 grs. of Bullseye for 9mm cases, it might be fast, but I don't see myself or most others using it for light charge pistol loads.

It is great for impressing your reloading buddies[smilie=1:

KS1911
11-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Electronic Powder Measure Comparison Test

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

I don't own any of them, just stumbled across the article.

MT Gianni
11-24-2006, 11:30 AM
I have the old model 1 before the upgrade. I have never entered a charge into memory so having a load I didn't need to write down just enter into the measure seems kind of silly. When I load on the lee turret I can size-prime, charge, seat and crimp or skip and the measure is always charged and ready to reset. When I forget to push the button it is not a huge wait for a 45-60 gr charge of IMR powder. I think it is at its best for weight sorting bullets. I like it to say the least. If you charge in a 50 round block and trust your measure, a hand thrown is faster but in a turrret it gives you precision and saves time. Gianni.

Bear Claw
12-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I own one and use it alot, and love it,,while it is sometimes a bit slow or just seems that way I tell myself that this is part of my hobby and to slow down and enjoy all of it.

That said I did once time it against a uniflow The lyman average is 10 to20 sec"s with the uniflow I average much more as I can NEVER get a uniform throw from it with any powder and end up throwing into a scale pan and weighing every charge and either trickle in more powder or dumping it and starting over..

The lyman I like better over the RCBS is due only because of the scale/dispenser set up as the rcbs is a two piece system and uses a ifrared light/eye thingamajig and I long ago learned not to trust them espe. in my garage/loading room...

Also note I am not a volume loader speed is not high on my priority list, I hardly ever load more than 400rds at a single sitting,, If you can find or know someone who owns a lyman that will let you try it out you will see what I mean.

About the only negative"s I have with the lyman are the slow (30 min.) warmup and it does not like the long IMR powder's...........

Hope this helps If you have questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you