PDA

View Full Version : Want A Chronograph For Christmas

CENTEX BILL
11-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Gentelmen:

I would like to buy a good quality, reasonalble priced chronograph for a Christmans present.

I have read some articles and it seems everyone has strong feelings.

I would appreciate your expericence and advise in this area.

Thnaks,

Bill

454PB
11-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I've owned several Oehlers, a Competition Electronics, and most recently a Chrony. Unless you are a hard core experimenter/ballistician, the Chrony gets the job done.

Hunter
11-24-2006, 12:34 AM
I have had a Competition Electronics' Pro Chrony years now. Though it ain't the most fancy or expensive she had served me well. To me an excellent chronograph especially for the money.

dragonrider
11-24-2006, 10:40 AM
I have had a Pact for perhaps ten years, works for me.

Dan in Wa
11-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I have to vote for the chrony.
It works for what I want.
And when not if I blow it up I'm only out $100

montana_charlie
11-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I would like to buy a good quality, reasonalble priced chronograph for a Christmans present.
Your choice may depend on who you are buying the present for, but the Chrony products certainly fall into the 'reasonable price' category...and they are easy to use.
CM

Pilgrim
11-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I believe Oehler is not making the Model 35 at this time. Actually, I don't believe that Oehler is making any "home" chronographs at this time, so an Oehler would only be available via ebay or other used outlet. When I bought mine, (16 yrs ago!) the Oehler was the best available. I suspect that the competition has caught up with the Oehler equipment, at least at the level of quality needed for us home experimenters.

Pilglrim

ruger4570
11-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I belong to a Forum where Ken Oehler is a member, and it is true, he is not making home chronographs, He said in a post that he could not get the Epsom printers and had to stop making them. I "think" he still makes the ballistic lab model, the one with all the bells and whistles that sell for a pretty good chunk of change.

Lee
11-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again. The "Chrony" models can be finicky about lighting. That said, if you fuss with them, and use .22's to set them up, they work well, and are not too expensive. Others chronographs might not be so sensitive to lighting.
Consider making a "blast shield" for whatever you buy. It "WILL" save you a couple bucks and a 2 week delay in the long run.
Consider purchasing wooden dowel sticks to support the "light screens". A bullet will only break the wooden ones. It will not send them into orbit! ( I know, I have 3 or 4 metal rods still orbiting Ohio!!)
Other than that, it is one of the better investments you will make...............Lee:)

Ricochet
11-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I've got a refurb Alpha Chrony. And another with a nice neat .308" diameter hole through the middle of it that provides spare parts. If I shoot during the main part of the day when the light's good and the sun's not low in the sky, it works fine. Careful setup will prevent launching rods into orbit or holing the body of the instrument. With big rifles it needs to be set up at least 12-15 feet from the muzzle to prevent the blast from launching the diffusers. I always use the diffusers. It's a lot more reliable that way than reading the bullet shadow against the sky.

drinks
11-26-2006, 12:18 PM
I have a Pro Chrony, does me just fine, Midway had them on sale for $79 3 years ago when I got mine.
I did make a shield for mine, is now 3 , .090" layers of Lexan and has stopped 4 gas checks, 3 of which would have hit in the display area.
A small piece of Lexan is about $7 at Home depot and would be enough to make at least 3 shields, well worth the investment. Look for it in the window section, be sure to get Lexan, not acrylic.

BruceB
11-26-2006, 03:51 PM
For fifteen years or more, I used a PACT Model One with satisfaction. It needed a trip to the factory at one point, but they fixed the problem at very low cost to me. Lately it had begun showing its age, getting finicky and giving occasional obviously-bad readings.

My wife took note of my troubles, and last year gave me a CED Millenium chrono which she bought from Dillon. With several thousand rounds now chronographed, I can say that this machine is a wonderful device. It rarely misses "picking up" a bullet anywhere in the sensor zone, and it has many nice features, including being down-loadable to a computer. It is clearly a full generation or more ahead of the PACT, even in such small things as having a convenient and easily-operated on-off switch!

The CED costs twice as much as a base-model Chrony, at about $180(?) and is worth the extra money in my estimation. For one thing, an errant shot will NOT ruin your chrono (and your whole day with it)! However, it's the ease of use and control that really appeal to me.

Highly recommended.

AZ-Stew
11-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I bought the Gamma Master Chrony a few years ago. It has a printer and a remote display head, leaving only the metal frame and opto-sensors out in front of the bench. The one thing it needs is a fence to keep our range masters from walking between my bench and the chrono tripod during line breaks. The last one got his feet caught in the cable, pulling the control head off the bench onto the concrete. The display now wears a black liquid crystal upper right hand corner. It still works and I can still read it, but I think I'm going to send it back and have the display replaced.

I got a nice deal on it, as they had a "trade in" policy at the time I bought mine. I sent them my old Competition Electronics unit that quit working after ten or so years, and got a discount on the Chrony.

If I had it to do over, I'd find a machine that has more buttons and fewer layered menus. I have to keep the instruction manual with the machine so I can remember how to operate it from session to session. I'd probably memorize the options if I used it more frequently, but once every 3-4 weeks doesn't do it for me.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Stew

Bear Claw
12-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I bought the Gamma Master Chrony a few years ago. It has a printer and a remote display head, leaving only the metal frame and opto-sensors out in front of the bench. The one thing it needs is a fence to keep our range masters from walking between my bench and the chrono tripod during line breaks. The last one got his feet caught in the cable, pulling the control head off the bench onto the concrete. The display now wears a black liquid crystal upper right hand corner. It still works and I can still read it, but I think I'm going to send it back and have the display replaced.

I got a nice deal on it, as they had a "trade in" policy at the time I bought mine. I sent them my old Competition Electronics unit that quit working after ten or so years, and got a discount on the Chrony.

If I had it to do over, I'd find a machine that has more buttons and fewer layered menus. I have to keep the instruction manual with the machine so I can remember how to operate it from session to session. I'd probably memorize the options if I used it more frequently, but once every 3-4 weeks doesn't do it for me.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Stew

DITTO,, I did much the same as Stew, And am very happy with mine.

mike in co
12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
For fifteen years or more, I used a PACT Model One with satisfaction. It needed a trip to the factory at one point, but they fixed the problem at very low cost to me. Lately it had begun showing its age, getting finicky and giving occasional obviously-bad readings.

My wife took note of my troubles, and last year gave me a CED Millenium chrono which she bought from Dillon. With several thousand rounds now chronographed, I can say that this machine is a wonderful device. It rarely misses "picking up" a bullet anywhere in the sensor zone, and it has many nice features, including being down-loadable to a computer. It is clearly a full generation or more ahead of the PACT, even in such small things as having a convenient and easily-operated on-off switch!

The CED costs twice as much as a base-model Chrony, at about $180(?) and is worth the extra money in my estimation. For one thing, an errant shot will NOT ruin your chrono (and your whole day with it)! However, it's the ease of use and control that really appeal to me.

Highly recommended.

with oehler not available, my next choice is the same as bruce.
i checked them out a few yrs ago at the SHOT show.....i think the big thing is that they are "current" ...electronics and computer ready....an excellent price for the product.

robertbank
12-10-2006, 03:38 PM
I have a basic F1 Chrony. Works for all I use it for. May upgrade it one day....some day.

Take Care

Bob

woody1
12-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I've got a Chrony Beta Master that does everything I'll prob'ly ever need. I'm quite pleased with it. Regards, Woody

Dale53
12-10-2006, 05:56 PM
My club has an Oehler Model #35 that I have used (complete with printer) for several years with good satisfaction. We, this spring, had a fire that destroyed our range house AND the chronograph and Ransom Rest. When I tried to replace the Oehler, I learned that the personal chronograph was no longer available (as someone above stated, Ken Oehler could no longer get a printer from his supplier). We got lucky, a member had a nearly new Oehler that he was not going to use. We got it at a friendly price and replaced our old unit.

In the meantime, I looked at various options. In my estimation a good chronograph requires nothing to be downrange but the screens and connecting wires. If you are shooting over the base unit, you know that sooner or later that will be history. That particularly applies if other people are going to be using the chronograph. Screens should be inexpensive (you WILL hit one sooner or later). The chronograph needs a printer. They are invaluable. Then the final thing would be to go with someone who maintains their product and offers good service in general.

I would suggest that when you order the chronograph that you also order an extra set of screens. That way, when the accident occurs, you can change the screens and continue with your project (ordering the new screens at your leisure).

Good luck!
Dale53

texas tenring
12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I've got the basic shooting chony, went to Radio shack and got a project box a switch and cable made my own remote control. It does everything I need. The only thing better would be a printer (also peforms as remote on basic model chrony) and when I fit it in my budget I'm getting a printer. I have'nt shot my chrony yet and don't plan on it.

texas tenring
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I just thought about it , to be fair I shoot mostly rifles from the bench and can't imagine why you would ever shoot your chronograpgh. I guess shooting pistols offhand or anything other than bench it could happen. Maybe you should consider the odds before spending lots of $$$.

mike in co
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
by the way.....
i cannot reccomend a pact......
my pact spent more time in texas getting "fixed" than i spent with it at the range...

robertbank
12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
You really don't want to offend Chrony God. Just suggesting you haven't shot yours yet is enough to hex yourself. Nobody "plans" to shoot their Chrony ...just happens. Forget your scoped gun has the barrel a couple inches lower than the scope is just one way you can blast your Chrony. I say no more, just shot mine once and there is no way I am offending Chrony god. Not a Chance!

Take Care

Bob

texas tenring
12-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Enough said! I don't want to jinx myself!!!

Every body take care...

Beau Cassidy
12-12-2006, 08:08 AM
I have had them all... PACT, Oehler, Chrony Beta, and most recently CED. The PACT PC2 was a really good one from both the ease of use/user friendliness and reliability standpoint until someone stole it. Replaced it with the PACT Professional. It didn't work out of the box and still won't work most of the time. The absolute worst was/is the Oehler 33. Really cheezy skyscreen setup that is unsteady. Won't pick up crap. Not very user friendly. I called Oehler about it not picking up my .22/250 bullets. Their reply was to paint them black with a magic marker. Well I did and it didn't work. I am not too sure who said Oehler is the best but I beg to differs. I got a Beta for Christmas a few years ago. Really neat setup but it is a little finicky and the telephone cable from the skyscreens to the box likes to come unplugged. It goes to the range as a backup. I got a CED a few weeks ago and have used it once under less than ideal conditions- very cloudy. It was conditions I know my others would not have worked in. I must say it worked like a champ. and seemed to be fairly user friendly. That's only one trip to the range so time will tell.. It does have a neat carrying case. Can't figure out the infared skyscreens yet, though.

Beau

Ricochet
12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I am not too sure who said Oehler is the best

That would be Mr. Oehler.

Dan in Wa
12-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Don't let your friends use your chrony.
It gets expensive.