PDA

View Full Version : Was this a good deal I hope on BMG brass

CWO4GUNNER
03-05-2011, 04:49 AM
New at reloading I thought this was a good deal Id share. After counting I found out I only have 100 rds of my own spent 50 BMG brass and thought I should have more on hand. So I bought this 100 count of polished 50 BMG LC brass that comes in a mil ammo can from MRE-Depot. Hope its good stuff as I cant find any reviews other then their surplus MRE's.

MREdepot.com Items
Quantity SKU Description Price Total
1 LC1001 1 Ammo Can of 100 pieces of Polished Military Lake City Once Fired Brass, .50 BMG $49.95 $39.46
Save: $10.49 $39.46

Sub-Total $39.46
UPS Ground Shipping $5.32
Sales Tax $0.00
TOTAL DUE $44.78
Total Savings: $10.49
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/scyros/Ammo%20can/400PX/50CalCan8002.jpg

John Ross
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Scrap price from a recycler (them buying it from you) would be about $19 on a hundred .50 BMG cases. Any time you can buy good quality once-fired cases (of ANY caliber) for less than three times scrap price is a good deal.

CWO4GUNNER
03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks I looked and looked and even got a PM offer from a member for unpolished 50 brass for much more. Considering its the lowest price I have seen for surplus LC unpolished brass, and the fact that it comes polished inside a free mil ammo can seemed like a great deal, will see. Now I am wondering if I have enough spent 50 brass (200 Rds) to get started and support my on hand quantities of bullets (500) and powder 16 Lbs. I only shoot about 25-50 Rds at the range and Im done, not from the recoil ( like a 308) but from the pressure wave.

Hopefully the case sizer will show my spent brass I have shot is not stretched. I believe the head space on my gun is spot on which is pre-determined by the screw in SS bolt shell holder lip which screws into the barrel extension (interfacing the M2 barrel and threaded bolt) and butts up against the M2 barrel with just the right predetermined spacing. There is really nothing to adjust or check or set except for the routine checks for obvious signs of stress cracks on any gun. All the AR upper and lower receiver do is provide an extended platform for the shooter and firing mechanism, they absolutely play no part in chamber pressure support. But they do play a part in making it physically impossible to have this bolt to be out of battery and fire the weapon becasue unless the bolt is screwed all the way in against the barrel, the AR lower receiver cannot swing shut (no room) and therefor the AR lower hammer cannot engage or reach the firing pin. So in reality all I am firing is an M2 barrel using a threaded bolt. The right side gas port which faces away from the shooter is 3/8" in size and you can actually look inside it and see the bolt up against the barrel and the free floating firing pin protruding when not loaded. The 46" M2 barrel is like new inside and very accurate even though it is not free floating and a tripod is attached at the balancing point. The threaded tank-type muzzle brake is huge and does an excellent job at almost eliminating recoil. But after 20 shots your tired from the pressure wave. The gun with lower, muzzle brake, and tripod installed weighs about 40 pounds. The only thing I have never checked is bore erosion but I cant imagine I would need to check that at this point as we would shoot thousands of round through our shipboard M2's before the bore erosion gauge would fall to the red line. Although the firing rate is only 4 Rds per minute its plenty fast for extreme distance target shooting and long range NRA match competition, I couldn't imagine wanting to shoot this gun any faster at long range targets (600-1000 Yrds).

bbqncigars
03-06-2011, 02:57 AM
That's a good deal on the brass and ammo can. Just be careful to remove all of the primer crimp before you try to reprime. The best crimp remover I've tried (out of 4) is the Wilson. The downside to that one is you need to buy the Wilson 50BMG trimmer to run it. That's ok, 'cause that trimmer is a close second to the K&M trimmer in ease of use, and it can't leave a nice radiused edge to the pocket like the Wilson can. Shooting the fifty is literally a blast. I've never been particularly bothered by the pressure wave, but that can be due to the brake. The brake (http://muzzlebrakesrus.com/default.aspx) I've got has a dead zone within about 15degrees of bore. Anything outside that zone gets hammered. I always make sure I've got some blasting ammo with me so interested bystanders can shoot it if they want to (I always offer). You might want to consider joining the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (http://www.fcsa.org/wwwroot/index.php). They're a bit focused on 1000yd match shooting, but a great source of knowledge on the care and feeding of the fifty.

Linstrum
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi, CWO4GUNNER, the price for once fired US .50 BMG brass has been somewhere around 60¢ each BEFORE SHIPPING, so if you can get the stuff for 45¢ each, that is great. I managed to get 100 for 25¢ each in 2003, but that was a one time deal from a military surplus store getting rid of inventory that wasn't moving well.

I shoot .50 BMG using cast 500 grain plinkers as well as 647 grain fmjbt I get online from Hi-Tech. I get my primers from Hi-Tech, too, I just bought two bricks of 500.

You have several new responses on your other thread started in February.

rl989

Skipper488
03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=4164463&convertTo=USD
Have to watch this site, perhaps a group buy could be put together for some of these lots of brass. I'm still trying to figure out the one for the 300 Winchester Magnum brass, what gun in the military uses that?

Here's a link to the general area http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=brass&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=P_Lot_Number|0&words=brass&cmd=keyword

The link at the top is for 100# of 50 BMG brass.

Linstrum
03-08-2011, 06:03 PM
skipper488, the 300 winmag is one of the alternate sniper calibers used by our military. They use the .50 BMG and .338 Lapua, and one or two others including the .308 Win/7.62NATO. I don't know if the .30-06 is still used, I would prefer it over the 7.62 NATO any day since the .30-06 in its modern iteration is the beginning of the .30 magnums.

rl990

CWO4GUNNER
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow the 100 cases of polished once fired 50 BMG Lake City cases arrived in a Mil-green ammo can just like the photo filled with some of the media used to polish it. I don't know what the significance of stamp on the bottom means but they are all between LC02 and LC06 and the cases look thick. They also sent me an offer for a further 10% off my next order or $40 shipped for another 100 polished cases in ammo can. I guess I better size these to see if they are truly once fired. Any way one can tell just by looking compared to a new round or using a hand held Lee case length measure that I bought to use my drill gun trimmer? Just seems like the price for 100 polished cases in an ammo can is a little too good.

Anyone know what that little crease ring 1/16th from the end of each case neck is that OK or bad? One thing that is good is that these have no crimps so Im tempted to forget about using the other Mil spent brass I have that has to be de-crimped, easier on the decapping pin right? Also I forgot to mention that the bottom of my receipt says that there is a 21% group discount for Calguns.net, maybe they will also give this same discount to this forum, never know but considering its polished and canned it would might be a deal.

New at reloading I thought this was a good deal Id share. After counting I found out I only have 100 rds of my own spent 50 BMG brass and thought I should have more on hand. So I bought this 100 count of polished 50 BMG LC brass that comes in a mil ammo can from MRE-Depot. Hope its good stuff as I cant find any reviews other then their surplus MRE's.

MREdepot.com Items
Quantity SKU Description Price Total
1 LC1001 1 Ammo Can of 100 pieces of Polished Military Lake City Once Fired Brass, .50 BMG $49.95 $39.46
Save: $10.49 $39.46

Sub-Total $39.46
Sales Tax $0.00
TOTAL DUE $44.78
Total Savings: $10.49
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/scyros/Ammo%20can/400PX/50CalCan8002.jpg

ANeat
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Hey guys, I do some swaging and was wondering if anyone may have some fired BMG primers that they want to sell (cheap hopefully ;) )

Ive heard that the primers can be used for smaller caliber bullets and have been wanting to try iy out

bbqncigars
03-12-2011, 01:43 AM
CWO4GUNNER:
The remaining neck crimp is nothing to worry about. Are you sure that none of the primers are crimped? I've never run into any milsurp BMG brass that didn't have crimped primers, unless someone already reloaded them once. Any remaining crimp ('stake' or 'ring') will ***** a new primer, and yes, you can safely remove the trashed primer.

CWO4GUNNER
03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
CWO4GUNNER:
The remaining neck crimp is nothing to worry about. Are you sure that none of the primers are crimped? I've never run into any milsurp BMG brass that didn't have crimped primers, unless someone already reloaded them once. Any remaining crimp ('stake' or 'ring') will ***** a new primer, and yes, you can safely remove the trashed primer.
Well Im probubly not used to looking at these primer crimps and the different types. Like I said the old surplus I shot myself with the head-stamp SL-45 has anywhere from 2 to 6 little punch-like marking going around the primers. However upon closer inspection of this newer "once shot" polished brass I just received (photo above) are all head-stamped LC-01 thru LC-06 and now it appears I can see that each primer has a half-moon size stamp next to each primer and what appears to be a colored dye in the stamp either purple or green. Let me know if you need me to take a photo. I sure hope these crimps are not going to make reloading a pain. I did buy the Lee pocked primer pocked hand tools to de-bur and clean. From what I have read you have to be careful not to take out too much or the primer will not stay in and conversely not leave any crimps or burs or the primer might pop wasting a primer. One thing I notice is that the LC brass all seems to be thicker around the neck and slightly out-of-round compared to all my older SL brass I shot out of my AR/50 seems to look thinner around the neck opening yet all perfectly round. Also the shoulders and necks on all the LC are 1/16 longer then the older SL I shot, what does that mean?.

StaTiK
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Sub-Total $39.46
Sales Tax $0.00
TOTAL DUE $44.78

After seeing your prices I just went here and i'm sorry to report that the prices have gone up in the past 20 days. $39.46 is now $59.95...

I was really hoping to get some BMG brass too!
-StaTiK-

bbqncigars
03-21-2011, 11:45 PM
CWO4GUNNER:
It sounds like you've got ring crimped pockets. I hope the extra 1/16" isn't from an M2 with excessive headspace. That can make it a huge PITA to resize and trim. Case life can also be reduced due to the web stretching near the head. Keep an eye out for internal rings in that area (a crochet hook makes a good 'feeler' for that).