PDA

View Full Version : bussness rifle

wgr
03-05-2011, 02:44 AM
you guys that shoot sharps what do you think of the sharps
bussness rifle? i would like to go big and fancy but the bank wont allow it. not sure but i would say that the working parts are all the same. will be using it for hunting more than anything else. i would be think full for any advice from you guys thinks bill

BruceB
03-05-2011, 09:49 AM
ANY Shiloh rifle is a fine one, and well worth owning.

I was very fortunate in that my first contact with Shilohs "in the flesh" was at a gun store in Edmonton, Alberta, just after Shiloh production started (1979-80?). They had at least a dozen rifles on the rack, representing all the models then available. What a sensory overload I had.

My good wife was with me, and I found my #3 Sporter in .50-2.5" under the tree that Christmas.

Buy the Business Rifle! "Fancy" is not a word that applied to most original Sharps', but QUALITY certainly did. Same holds true for Shiloh rifles today, and you will be very happy with the rifle.

bigted
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
its all true...we seem to all get the gitterbug about the fancy "quigley" style guns with the german silver forend pieces and the extra fancy wood n so on but if you look at what was shot in "the day" so to speak...they were just finely made...under the hood...and shot in so as to be very accurate arms. fancy is to hang on the wall and proudly show the comers what a "pretty" rifle looks like.

i had a extra fancy winchester 1 of 10,000 model 1886 at one time that i was scared to death to even take out in the yard to shoot what with the engraving and gold inlay and super fine figured wood and so on...best thing i ever did was to trade that shiney lure off on three guns that i would use and carry anywhere at any time.

everybody has got to have a fancy one at least once in a lifetime tho so go for the gusto or .......get something that will be used and abused and have those stories over a campfire about ..."the time"

BSkerj
03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I currently have a Sporter #1 waiting to go into production. I ordered it in Nov. Sent in my 250.00 good faith money and now I am saving for the rest. I have about another 14 months to wait but I nearly have the amount saved already. Like you I was looking at the Business rifle but for me this is going to be a once in a lifetime rifle and I wanted to make sure it has everything I wanted on it. I did not go overboard on customizing it but it does have a few bells and whistles. All I am trying to say is make sure you get what you want so you don't have any regrets when the time comes. If I were you I would really look into getting at least the MVA Soule sites with the front globe site and the imbedded forearm. Just my .02 worth.

Boz330
03-05-2011, 12:09 PM
its all true...we seem to all get the gitterbug about the fancy "quigley" style guns with the german silver forend pieces and the extra fancy wood n so on but if you look at what was shot in "the day" so to speak...they were just finely made...under the hood...and shot in so as to be very accurate arms. fancy is to hang on the wall and proudly show the comers what a "pretty" rifle looks like.

i had a extra fancy winchester 1 of 10,000 model 1886 at one time that i was scared to death to even take out in the yard to shoot what with the engraving and gold inlay and super fine figured wood and so on...best thing i ever did was to trade that shiney lure off on three guns that i would use and carry anywhere at any time.

everybody has got to have a fancy one at least once in a lifetime tho so go for the gusto or .......get something that will be used and abused and have those stories over a campfire about ..."the time"

I never could enjoy a new rifle or shotgun until it got it's first scratch.

Bob

Kenny Wasserburger
03-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I have a Shiloh Business Rifle, in 45-110 a few Govt bullets down it and then Paper Patch from then on.

Plan wood, yet Kirk decided to put a Ebony Tip on it. Looks very nice, Rifle is Pack hardened from butt to action and fire blued screws.

We have killed 3 buffalo with it as God-Sharps, intended it for.

Most all were in 45-70 or 45-110 however you will find that a few were made in 40-70 and 50 cals. But a very small number.

The Very first business rifle was delivered down in Ranch13 aka Don McDowells Area, At a small western fort.

montana_charlie
03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Are you thinking you would like to have it in a week, and save enough to buy a set of the best sights on the market?
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3469&osCsid=2b5ad2a01cad01c654c851aed232a3d1

CM

Don McDowell
03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
The main difference between the Business rifle and the regular 74 sporting model was the business rifles came standard with a 28 inch round barrel. Standard chamber was the 45 2.1, but as Kenny said other chambers could be had on special order.
If a round barrel is good for you then by all means go for it.

waksupi
03-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I had a Business rifle years ago, and it was my favorite. Had to sell it when the X needed some surgery. E.G. Smith and I built it up out of an old Garret Arms Sharps. It looked good enough to fool Austin Monk, so it was a pretty good job.
Ralph Heinz used to have a collection of Cooper Sharps, from Walter Cooper's shop in the early days of Bozeman. The majority were Business rifles.

Kenny Wasserburger
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Rick,

Am sorry to hear you had to sell your business Rifle. I put mine on hold until my divorce was final so my ex could not lay any claim on mine.

The First one that was shipped to Fort Laramie Wyoming was a 45-70 and I have a rancher friend here that has an original business Rifle in 45-70.

KW
The Lunger

Tim357
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
The business rifle is my all-time favorite Sharps. I've always preferred the round barrel to the octagon ones. Business is right; no frills, no thrills. Only what a guy needs to make meat! Get it and use the hell out of it!

Good shooting

NickSS
03-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I have two C sharps Business rifles with 28 inch Round barrels built on their 1875 action and I love both of them. One is in 45-70 and the other is in 38-56. I bought them a year apart in the early 90s and they continue to be very well loved and shot a lot.

waksupi
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I think they are much better suited to carry, that the longer rifles. If you can get the Cooper rear sight, you can be pretty accurate, but loose some vision field. I was Ralph Heinz neighbor for a couple years, and was able to handle many Sharps. He was also the guy who helped me build my first rifle! Too bad he sold that collection, and started in collecting military rifles and accouterments.

Lead pot
03-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I favor the round barrel also on my Sharps .44-90 BN hunting rifle and the Lawrence sight over the full or semi buckhorn sight. It's a great sight for hunting in all conditions.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/Kurtalt/IMG_0519-1.jpg

wgr
03-06-2011, 02:08 AM
thinks guys for the replies. now im really confused. hope i dont ask to many . i like the looks of the montana rough rider also.as for as round are octgon really makes no differance.were did you get the cooper sight and what about the sharp sporting sight?thinks bill

waksupi
03-06-2011, 03:03 AM
The Cooper sight I had, E.G. Smith fabricated for me. I don't know if he still makes them or not. I think one of the Big Timber companies carries them. Essentially, they are a peep sight on the rear barrel sight, locked into place with a simple two piece screw device.

BSkerj
03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
The Sporter comes with the buckhorn rear site. The MVA site is a add-on they will mount when your gun is ready if you so choose.