PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Rear Sight

TreeKiller
03-05-2011, 01:42 AM
I picked up an Enfield M#4 made in 2/54. The only thing that is not original is the rear sight. Someone did not like the peep had cut the top off and filed a big ugly V in the base of the sight. This is the close range sight, the flip up is ok.
Is just the close range part of the sight available or do you have to buy the whole rear sight? Gun parts were out of the rear sight. The barrel is bright (I would not call it a mirror finish). All the same numbers, that are visible even the clip. I am also looking for ammo. At $38.00 for 20 Federal I might have to use it as a muzzle loader! Tried to slug the barrel but the 5 grove makes it hard to do. A cast bollit sized to .308 will not go down the muzzle, the inside of a fired case measures .314 so I will try some 185g begeled and sized got the Naugant sized to .314

Thanks for any help

dromia
03-05-2011, 04:43 AM
The battle sight was an integral part of the rear site body, you would need to replace the whole sight.

Is the sight milled or stamped?

leadhead
03-05-2011, 07:54 AM
You can get a replacement from springfield sporters.....
www.ssporters.com

jhrosier
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
When you buy the replacement sight get a new retainer pin.
You will probably wreck the original pin when removing it.
The adjustable ladder sight will also drop right in to a gun with the "L" shaped battle sight and give you fine adjustments for longer ranges.
If you are buying parts, consider getting a higher front sight blade at the same time.

Jack

TreeKiller
03-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Thank you all for the help.

leadhead; I should have known a PA ridgerunner would help another one even if I am misplaced in Ca.
Dan

leadhead
03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Dan, I only live about 50 miles from ss and used to love
going there until they closed shop for mail orders only.
How did you end up in Cal?
Denny

twotoescharlie
03-06-2011, 01:46 PM
temp fix, soft solder a small washer to the rear sight

TTC

TreeKiller
03-07-2011, 01:08 AM
leadhead
I was in the Air Force stationed at Tonopah NV. When I get out I came to Red Bluff to finish getting my pilots license. I found out that the world was not gray out white for 6 months of the year.
Married a local girl and stayed here. Some tines I get fed up with the Southern part of the state and wish that it would just shake into the ocean but you just have to live with some things.

twotoes
I was planing on putting a washer on it but wanted to get a issue sight also. I wanted to make sure that one was available before messed with the original.

Multigunner
03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Remember that the proper term is "magazine" rather than "clip".
Also the Enfield does not use a stripper clip for quick loading of the magazine, the British equivalent to the Stripper clip is the "Charger".

Using common but inaccurate terms doesn't bother me but when you get around to visiting Enfield boards or forums someone will leap on any failure to use British terminology, and too often a few will get all snooty about it.

Enfield bore diameters vary quite a bit, with .313 major being the low end of acceptable and .319 being the high end, at least in wartime production. Most I've slugged went .314.

The minor diameter usually was dead on at .303, it was variations in groove depth that resulted in variations in the major diameters.

If theres any resistence in chambering a reload with oversized cast boolit you should check to be sure that the chamber neck is free of baked on carbon and resin deposits. Insufficient neck clearance can drive up pressures while the induced variation in pull strength can adversely affect accuracy. Bullets begin to bump up while still in the neck, so some clearance is for the best.

nanuk
03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
The battle sight was an integral part of the rear site body, you would need to replace the whole sight.

Is the sight milled or stamped?

did some of the rifles come with a dual aperture battle sight and no long range raisable sight?

I have a couple of them, marked 300/600 I think. I also have a stamped long range on my No4, and have a milled one to install if I feel like it. I like the milled as it has a threaded screw to raise and lower as opposed to the stamped one that has the lever.

HollowPoint
03-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I just happened to order the last of the small parts I need for my No4 to get up and running again.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/miscellaneous.html

These guys seem to have alot of the small parts -including rear sights- that I needed. Maybe they carry what you're looking for.

HollowPoint

atr
03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a rear sight for a #3 if anyone has a use for it

Jon K
03-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Treekiller,

Did you find a sight?

Try Springfield Sporter:
http://www.ssporters.com/parts/enfield4.htm

Jon

TreeKiller
03-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes I got a sight from Sarco on 3/21 it was a little pitted on the left side and the pin on the elevation knob is stuck or the spring is broken. It has no click stops on it but it has a F stamped on it so it fits the rest of the gun and I am happy with it. Ordered a Lee Enfield Accessory Kit that they forgot to send, I called them Tue and got a e-mail that night that they are sending it right out very pleased with there service.