PDA

View Full Version : SP vs BP in Revolver

RMulhern
03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Since 1948 I probably have shot somewhere over 200,000 rounds of ammo through several SAA .45 Colt revolvers; Dad probably shot a little over that down through his years but up until a short while ago (last year) I had never fired any BP....it was always something akin to Unique with around 9 grs. or so shooting a 255 gr. Keith SWC bullet. Recently I've been shooting betwixt 35-37 grs. of Swiss 3F with the same bullet and I can tell anyone right now that Unique can't hold a candle to BP when it comes to recoil! Never clocked the two powders but without a doubt....I'd say the BP is bumping way ahead of the Unique on speed! Not only that....the BP shoots damn well!!:bigsmyl2::veryconfu:shock:

Muddy Creek Sam
03-05-2011, 01:11 AM
BP is also way more Fun. and smells better.

Sam :D

Don McDowell
03-05-2011, 01:47 AM
9 grs of unique and 37 grs of goex 3f make about the same numbers pop up on my chronograph when using the keith bullets. Runs right around 900 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel.

bigted
03-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Since 1948 I probably have shot somewhere over 200,000 rounds of ammo through several SAA .45 Colt revolvers; Dad probably shot a little over that down through his years but up until a short while ago (last year) I had never fired any BP....it was always something akin to Unique with around 9 grs. or so shooting a 255 gr. Keith SWC bullet. Recently I've been shooting betwixt 35-37 grs. of Swiss 3F with the same bullet and I can tell anyone right now that Unique can't hold a candle to BP when it comes to recoil! Never clocked the two powders but without a doubt....I'd say the BP is bumping way ahead of the Unique on speed! Not only that....the BP shoots damn well!!:bigsmyl2::veryconfu:shock:

yes this is just exaxtly my feelings about the blackpowder. i used 40gr rite outta the gate and the stuff flattened the primers where my fav unique loads of 8.5gr did not in my uberti 73 colt w 4 3/4 barrel. i cut down my load of bp to 36.5gr and this is very pleasant to shoot. the accuracy with the bp is deffinetly on par and sometimes better then the smokless loads. yet i dont get any leading from the bp loads and sometimes i did with the smokless for some reasson.maybe the bumping the bp gives. didnt happen all the time with smokless but i never had any grey streaks with the bp.

only prob i had was i didnt clean it rite the first time and it took me awhile to get all the crevises cleaned out....ive gotten some ballistol since and when i sprayed down my remington with the stuff and let set for 5 min the residue leaped off and i just dunked the whole thing...minus the wood grips...into a sink of hot water and scrubed her down...presto.:bigsmyl2: have fun and return with more on your bp revolver experience[smilie=f:

cajun shooter
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Rick, It's hard to believe that a person with your BP rifle shooting time has never stuffed a 45 Colt with it. The 9 grs. of Unique has been as you know a old Colt standard for many years. I think it is the fast burn of the BP that makes the difference in felt recoil even if the chronograph shows them at the same FPS. It's the torque of the load. Ha!! Ha!! When at my cowboy shoots everyone comes to watch when the Full load BP shooters step to the line. I hear things like Man!! That Thing is Loud to I just watched two perfect smoke rings go down range. I always hear, I love to watch you guys but I would not want to do all that cleaning. I gave one member all the ammo he needed plus some to go out of state to shoot a BP match. He gave me what was left when he returned and said it was not for him. I tried to show him how easy it was to clean before but he said he could do it and used the wrong products which caused the problem. All you need now Rick is another revolver and rifle and shotgun to start SASS. There are some nice guys in your area of Louisiana. Later David

RMulhern
03-05-2011, 07:01 PM
No sir! Don't have time for that! I traveled for damn nigh onto 45 years on the NRA HP circuit and it was a helluva lot cheaper then than now plus......just too much good fun shooting BPCR LR here at my place! I have to drive all of 500 yards to get to my 1000 yd. firing line!

bigted
03-05-2011, 11:12 PM
mulhern ur a bumm!!

500 whole yards??

****es that must wear on ya!! then have to look at 1000 yds...life is just too tough on ya brother.

try to keep yer chin up....hey what does that colt do at 1,000yds...that should be a hoot to try.

RMulhern
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
mulhern ur a bumm!!

500 whole yards??

****es that must wear on ya!! then have to look at 1000 yds...life is just too tough on ya brother.

try to keep yer chin up....hey what does that colt do at 1,000yds...that should be a hoot to try.

bigted

Don't know.....about 1000 but a 55 gal. chemical drum isn't safe from 700 with the old War Horse!! :holysheep[smilie=f:

cajun shooter
03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
I know about your range and you are one lucky guy to say the least. You can roll up some of those nice PP bullets that you make so well and see how they do within a 30 minute span. I have to drive a hour before I can bust a primer and I live what was once country. When I first purchased my little acre it was at the end of a dead end road and my neighbors knew what I did for pleasure. I tested guns and loads in the creek by my house for years. Then after Katrina hit several of those folks moved into the area and when I test fire a gun I hear yells of I'm going to call the cops. You would think that they would be use to the sound of gunfire coming from New Orleans.

RMulhern
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I know about your range and you are one lucky guy to say the least. You can roll up some of those nice PP bullets that you make so well and see how they do within a 30 minute span. I have to drive a hour before I can bust a primer and I live what was once country. When I first purchased my little acre it was at the end of a dead end road and my neighbors knew what I did for pleasure. I tested guns and loads in the creek by my house for years. Then after Katrina hit several of those folks moved into the area and when I test fire a gun I hear yells of I'm going to call the cops. You would think that they would be use to the sound of gunfire coming from New Orleans.

cajun shooter

Build you a 'block-house' and keep right on shooting! Got a friend that did that...houses on both sides...and all one can hear is a muffled 'whump'! His ranges is 300 yds. long.:bigsmyl2::redneck:[smilie=s:

bigted
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
i am still jealose of your position and range bubba. and the 700yd barrel is just what the dr ordered.

this is with the 40gr of powder im assuming. i used to amaze folks with a 357 in the old days by shooting at long yardage and with the open sited to boot. they were astounded by the accuracy of these rounds at 2 and 3 hundred yards. at the same time i would hunt and bring home grouse and quail with the same 6 inch ruger security six. what fun and nice memories.

have fun bro and blast em to heck.

RMulhern
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
bigted

Eat ya heart out there Bubba!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5509866265_2f533e6c16.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60325520@N02/5509866265/)
700 ydtest (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60325520@N02/5509866265/) by Sharpsman110 (http://www.flickr.com/people/60325520@N02/), on Flickr

This was from 700 yards! Bad light and fishtail wind!

bigted
03-09-2011, 04:23 AM
yes sir...and heavy on the "sir" mr mulhern bubba...bro...that is what im talkin about and know that im chewin my heart out as i write. my origanal assesment was correct...ur a bumm. id die and think id gone to heaven if i had a range in my backyard of only half this distance...and something else i wonder about...thats the absence of snow.

see thats just wrong for march...we still have 4 to 5 feet of the stupid stuff to muck around in...however we also have nice 15 to 30 degree days from here on from time to time to ride the snow mobiles till the tears just flow outta the eyes and this will last generally for the next mounth or so and maybe longer so i guess its cool for you to slide on the absence of snow...we will take this burden in stride i guess. from time to time its not unussual to spot grizz gettin up this time of year. they beat the black bears up in spring...they are pretty ratty this time of year tho and very hungry.

45-70 Ranger
03-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Hey Rick!

Is that seat cushion USMC approved?:-D

But, hey, I still sit in the dirt on my range or lay down in it:( Must be a Ranger thing huh?[smilie=1:

Wade:target_smiley:

Just havin' some fun buddy, I got the distance on my place, but too many trees in the way!![smilie=b: Glad you can stretch out and use those big bullets that we like...

montana_charlie
03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey Rick!

Is that seat cushion USMC approved?
I think it's the same one John Wayne gave to the trolley driver...

CM

bigted
03-14-2011, 11:01 PM
dont know bout the cussion but that sure gives me a couple good ideas for a rolling bench.

very nice range!