PDA

View Full Version : Use for old Flat Rate boxes.

Suo Gan
03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
I make some pretty durable boxes to store boolits and what not in. I hate to throw anything away. This is my contribution to the green movement.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
I haven't been able to empty any of my "old flat rate boxes"
I better start shooting more.

Seriously though...that is a great idea :)
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1205.jpg

Tom R
03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Flat rate boxes are free just go to the post office and get new ones. You don't have to pay for them until you ship them. Just in case anyone wants to get some of there money back from the government.

Cowboy T
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Costco milk jugs and the new plastic Folgers coffee cans are also really good for this.

ktw
03-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I keep brass in them, like JonB, but I have also discovered that three of them fit perfectly in a file cabinet drawer. I have an old file cabinet that I use for brass, partitioned up into cartridge compartments with flat rate boxes.

-ktw

oneokie
03-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Flat rate boxes are free just go to the post office and get new ones. You don't have to pay for them until you ship them. Just in case anyone wants to get some of there money back from the government.

And people complain about the increases in postage rates.

7of7
03-04-2011, 11:23 PM
It used to be all you had to do was use the box that you got from the post office. Now they have put "flat rate" on them, so I have a bunch of non-flat rate boxes, that I have no use for.. except for taking up space.. If they wouldn't change the boxes, they wouldn't have so much of a problem.. or if they'd go back to just a box supplied by the post office..

rtracy2001
03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Flat rate boxes are free just go to the post office and get new ones.

Not me, I set up an account at USPS.com (free) and they ship the flat rate boxes to me free of charge. So I get free boxes delivered to my house for nothing. One of these days I may even ship something.

Ronbo256
03-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Costco milk jugs and the new plastic Folgers coffee cans are also really good for this.

I use the maxwell house ones that are similar, but have a handle like a milk jug!

Fishman
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I use the maxwell house ones that are similar, but have a handle like a milk jug!

I was so excited when I saw those Maxwell house containers and then I found out that Maxwell house doesn't taste nearly as good as folgers. At least to me and I tried. Oh well

diehard
03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
I make batches of 12 gauge slug/buckshot/specialty loads for range testing in lots of 12. By cutting the small flat rate box in half, and trimming just a bit, I make a nice box for 12 shells to keep them organized. I also use them to make dandy overshot cards. BTW... I get mine because I can't stop buying stuff.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/hubmonster/laurelguns141.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/hubmonster/laurelguns144.jpg

adrians
03-05-2011, 05:35 AM
i'm same way as rtracy get em shipped to your front door for free,,,,,,another example of "your tax dollars at work"
it's great...:evil:[smilie=w::twisted:

Dan Cash
03-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I haven't been able to empty any of my "old flat rate boxes"
I better start shooting more.

Seriously though...that is a great idea :)
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1205.jpg

I would be glad to empty the 30-40 box for you.
Dan

smokemjoe
03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Like corn flake boxs, store mag. in by the year made.

cajun shooter
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Just a short reminder that the boxes are not free. Like all other things you,me and others who pay taxes are paying for those free boxes delivered to your door. Receiving or shipping goods in them as was intended is fine but to have them sent to you for storage boxes is reaching into my pocket and the reason that postage is due for another increase. We had a State Auditor report on our news that the state was missing 2,300 new laptops that were just purchased one year ago. We are also missing a breeding bull from the La. State Prison at Angolo. The list was long and I am making this point to point out that all goverment property is paid for by working people. It is not a bin to reach in and pull out free things.

gray wolf
03-05-2011, 11:16 AM
all goverment property is paid for by working people.out

Oh I see ---so it belongs to us --right ?

I have a better idea, how bout they lower the darn postal rates, then we all could afford those fancy plastic boxes.

jhrosier
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
A good reminder, cajun shooter. I feel just a bit guilty even when I take one for its' intended use.
Those blue 2-lb Maxwell House coffee containers with the handle are great for storing fired brass.
I get them from work every couple of weeks but have to compete with the guys in the painting department, as they also make good disposable paint cans.

Jack

Netherwolf
03-05-2011, 11:24 AM
And people complain about the increases in postage rates.

They'll also be complaining about fines &/or jail time if a postal inspector ever figures out that new USPS FR boxes are being used for any other than their intended purpose - like happened to some yard sale/flea marketers caught using new (i.e., no addresses on 'em) FR boxes to contain & display their merchandise.

tonyb
03-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I use the boxes to start my fireplace, free fire starter. I just go grab a stack when I get low.:kidding:

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I would be glad to empty the 30-40 box for you.
Dan

Yeah, I bet you would...You and all the other krag shooters out there,
they are like gold :)

But back to the point, I like the "used" FR boxes because they
are usually completely encapsalated in clear tape by the shipper,
it makes for a more rugged storage box.

Oh yeah, another use I have for them is:
I cut them in half and add a 1/4" plywood bottom
(scraps from the shipping/crating deptment at work).
I stack 50lbs of ingots and stack them about 5 high.
I hope my porch foundation is strong enough :(
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1642.jpg

miestro_jerry
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I use the left over flat rate boxes for storage and to help to get my burn pile going.

My brass and bullets go in to vacuum bags, we got a Foodsaver for Christmas. Got a really great price on the machine and then on a lot of the rolls of bags.

What size was the circle punch for making your own overshot cards?

Thanks,
Jerry

Skipper488
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I bet you would...You and all the other krag shooters out there,
they are like gold :)

But back to the point, I like the "used" FR boxes because they
are usually completely encapsalated in clear tape by the shipper,
it makes for a more rugged storage box.

Oh yeah, another use I have for them is:
I cut them in half and add a 1/4" plywood bottom
(scraps from the shipping/crating deptment at work).
I stack 50lbs of ingots and stack them about 5 high.
I hope my porch foundation is strong enough :(
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1642.jpg
If you're worried about the weight on your porch the first thing that should go is that cat. LOL
:kidding:

Jal5
03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I just started using the used FR boxes to store boolits in, work great and are very stackable. My stock of boolits is small enough that these will do for quite some time. And at the rate we buy stuff I will always have some used ones available.

Joe