PDA

View Full Version : Swaging

Beekeeper
03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I posted in another forum about getting one last rifle.
If I can't find one I like I was thinking about getting into swaging using the money I would have spent on the rifle.

I have read a number of posts here and think it might be a better use of my money in some ways.

So as to not lose my shirt if I find out it isn't for me would you give me some idea as to the cost of the most basic equipment.
I know everyone has their own ideas but there must be some sort of equasion for the most basic of all.

Would appreciate your input.

Jim

Ickisrulz
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
If you have a Rock Chucker or stronger press you can try swaging for a mere $130for a set of dies from CH4d (for pistol calibers). This is assuming you can cast lead cores with stuff you already have. This would enable you to try out the process and see if you like it before getting into the expensive stuff from Blackmon or the Corbins.

You can check out the Corbin stuff and see prices at:

http://www.corbins.com/

http://rceco.com/

Larry Blackmon's stuff is less expensive. I think a dedicated press and 3 die set runs around $1K.

ReloaderFred
03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I only swage handgun bullets and do it with a reloading press (either an RCBS Rockchucker or Hollywood Sr.) and CH-4D dies. I have a set of Corbin .357 Swaging dies coming and will use those, too.

You could try the handgun bullet route if you just want to give it a try, and of course if you shoot much handgun ammunition. The problem with swaging handgun bullets is the cost of jackets, and the availability, which is limited. Jackets have been selling for the price of manufactured bullets recently, which is pretty crazy. I've been using cartridge cases for 9x19, .357, .410 and .429 bullets and it works really well, especially since I use unlubed cast bullets for cores. I'm considering selling my stash of bullet jackets and using only cartridge cases in the future. I could put the money from the jackets into more reloading gear..

If you know anyone who is currently swaging, that would be one way to look at what's involved before diving in. Otherwise, you're pretty much left to what you can pick up on forums such as this one.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Ickisrulz
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
The nice thing about swaging quipment is that it doesn't lose much of its value on the resale market. If you don't like it you can sell it for about as much as you paid for it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Beekeeper,
what caliber do you want to swage for.
that will help us give you better specifics.

CH's pistol calibers are quite reasonable.
using spent casings for Jackets makes the bullets cheap to make.
BT_Sniper sells the CH die body's with improved parts...well worth the extra.
there is much to read about that here.

What gun are you NOT buying ?
meaning...how much do you have to spend ? $1000 ?

mold maker
03-04-2011, 10:02 PM
+1 for the BT Sniper dies. It's a real improvement to the CH dies. I just received my second set and am having a ball making .44 XTP look alike from free .40 brass, and 357 cast from free (range) lead.
The newest set is for .41 Mag made with free 9mm brass and 9mm cast (free range lead) boolits.
I love shooting cast, but making them into expensive FMJ notched nose HPs is a blast.
If ya try it, you'll love it.

BT Sniper
03-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Makes me sound like a dealer doesn't it? :) Come on everyone is doing it, one hit and then your hooked.

Seriously though, a improved CH die is a great way to get into the hobby of swaging. Very little investment with plenty of nearly free shooting to be had. Point being, you will have fun and get your investment back from the first few hundred bullets you shoot instead of buying commercial bullets.

Mold Maker, you let me know if you need anything getting those 41 dies all set up. I'll be working on the instruction book :) They sure are some good looking bullets. Let us know how they shoot.

BT