PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an O Press

miestro_jerry
03-04-2011, 02:29 PM
I do a lot of non reloading stuff, such as Lee Sizing, pulling bullets and a couple of things. I hate doing this on my Rock Chucker, because I have to clean the press to get the grease, oil, dirt and gunk off the Ruck Chucker.

Does any have a suggestion for an O press that Economical (cheap in other words) that I lean on it and not worry about breaking it. I have looked at the Lee presses, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Maybe an old RCBs or Lyman press and I know there are new one presses on the market with names I haven't heard. I am willing to hundred bucks for this press.

Thanks

Jerry

03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I've been satisified with my RCBS JR 2 and JR 3. I doubt that you will find a press that is of equal quality for less.

Reverend Recoil
03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
RCBS JR presses sell for $45-$65 on Ebay. A Lyman Spartan C-press will do what you want for about $35. There are also CH, Pacific, and Bair C-presses on ebay. These sell for less but not all of them can use universal shell holders.

Cowboy T
03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
For a hundred bucks, you ought to look at Lee's Classic Cast press. That thing's built like a tank.

SWANEEDB
03-04-2011, 10:45 PM
How about another early RC'er for a $100 bucks, I got an extra.

bbqncigars
03-04-2011, 10:48 PM
The Lee Classic Cast has a couple of weaknesses that you will find if you need a lot of force. It will be a race to see which part fails first: the hollow handle bending or the multi-piece handle mount breaking. Lee is good about replacing stuff, but your press is down in the meantime. Don't ask me how I know this.

Wayne

1hole
03-05-2011, 10:10 AM
"For a hundred bucks, you ought to look at Lee's Classic Cast press. That thing's built like a tank. "

Ditto. In fact, with it you may well use your RC for the "backup" press.

Any press can be broken if we don't understand mechanical limitations and lean on it hard enough; I've seen photos of the top strap on RC presses broken and that takes a LOT of pressure.

Lee's Classic presses use a steel "hollow tube" handle, specifically chosen to bend rather than break the press itself; it's a safety thing much like an elecrical fuse. And, IF the user keeps the steel two-part adjustable toggle links bolted together tighly - as the instructions say - I can't imagine breaking them.

keyhole
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I bought a Lee Classic as a backup press to my Forster Co-Ax. It has been very satisfactory. The spent primer collection system is simple but very effective, no primers flying around the room. Being left-handed, I like the fact that the handle can be mounted on either side. Probably the heaviest use I have used it for is to break the bullet crimp/seal on some German 8 mm ammo prior to pulling the bullets. The ammo was some WWII steel case stuff that had rusted but for which the bullets were still serviceable. Using a Hornady collet puller, I had to lean on the handle on a few to get them to break loose. This was after initially seating the bullets a bit deeper. Anyway, I had to use a fair amount of force but the press did not fail. I can't imagine using so much force it would bend the handle.

mooman76
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I was trying to size down 223 brass to fit my 7.62x38 revolver. To do this you have to push the brass all the way through including the head. I was doing this on my Classic cast press. I never got the brass all the way through but did manage to destroy the wood(2layers of 3/4") on the corner of my bench. I bent or broke nothing on the press. If someone actually has broke a press, not predicting that some day it will come, they should state this and how they did it. Not state it will happen and "don't ask how I know".

nicholst55
03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
One of the guys in the swaging forum broke the toggle link on his, using it to swage bullets on. A $10 part; then he damaged the (hollow) ram trying to disassemble the press to replace the toggle. So, no, they're not indestructible.

Just sayin'.

miestro_jerry
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I have found one that is interesting from this thread. I have a C press, but it doesn't give me enough leverage for some things.

Thanks,

Jerry

Pressman
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Sounds like you need one of the RCBS A series presses for that job. Or devise a way of pushing the case through using a vise, a BIG vise.
I used to resize 41 mag brass to 40 cal, all the way to the rim, for the 401 power mag but never anything like you are doing.
Ken

miestro_jerry
03-05-2011, 12:17 PM
No press is indestructible, even the ones that are build like a tank will break on you. It just depends on how much you abuse them. That is why I am looking for an extra press to keep around.

Jerry

Green Frog
03-05-2011, 10:51 PM
The stronger the press, the more pressure you will be putting on it (usually inappropriately) when you finally break it. If you can find one of the old Herter's Super U presses (used of course... probably at a gun show or on Craig's List) you will have a pretty hard time breaking it. You will need special shell holders or an adaptor, however.

Froggie

Shakey Jakey
03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
I have an RCII of about 1982 vintage and I cant imagine breaking any part of it. I have 4 other C style presses to handle my light work and keep set up for dedicated duties. One is the cheapo LEE, which I like and baby so as not to hurt the little guy and the rest are C&H which I have restored or refurbished. I think that the older presses have a cool factor that the new presses cant touch and the price can be very nice on ebay for barely used examples.

zxcvbob
03-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I was trying to size down 223 brass to fit my 7.62x38 revolver. To do this you have to push the brass all the way through including the head. I was doing this on my Classic cast press. I never got the brass all the way through but did manage to destroy the wood(2layers of 3/4") on the corner of my bench. I bent or broke nothing on the press. If someone actually has broke a press, not predicting that some day it will come, they should state this and how they did it. Not state it will happen and "don't ask how I know".
I think you have to thin the last 1/2" of the brass down in a lathe first. But if you really wanna try it in a press without turning it first, adjust the die so the press bottoms out while there's still a half inch to go. Then tighten the die 1/8 of a turn and size it again. Repeat until you finally get to the bottom of the brass. That way you are doing the hard work just as the press is camming-over, where it has almost infinite mechanical advantage (a little at a time.)

I have a Nagant revolver too. I've temporarily given up on making .223 brass for it. Someday I'll get back to that. I don't think it can be done without a lathe -- or really skillful work with a file.

mooman76
03-06-2011, 12:21 AM
I think you have to thin the last 1/2" of the brass down in a lathe first. But if you really wanna try it in a press without turning it first, adjust the die so the press bottoms out while there's still a half inch to go. Then tighten the die 1/8 of a turn and size it again. Repeat until you finally get to the bottom of the brass. That way you are doing the hard work just as the press is camming-over, where it has almost infinite mechanical advantage (a little at a time.)

I have a Nagant revolver too. I've temporarily given up on making .223 brass for it. Someday I'll get back to that. I don't think it can be done without a lathe -- or really skillful work with a file.

The guy I got the information from said it could be done or at least most of the time depending on the brass used. I don't have a lathe. I think my biggest problem was using a carbide die in 30 carbine. I later found out it was a bad idea and have since procured a 30c die that is steel instead. I need to reinforce my bench before trying again but I am not sure that is the way to go for me that is. I may just go with 32-20 brass instead.

bbqncigars
03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Ok mooman, you asked. I bought the Classic Cast to feed my Windrunner99 .50BMG rifle. On resizing some annealed milsurp brass, the handle bent. Ok, fine. Rotated handle, cleaned die and brass of Mobil 1 (favored case lube by some FCSA members) and tried again with Imperial wax. Result was broken link. FYI, it choked at the same spot on the case. Solution: buy Walnut Hill press for resizing milsurp, and restrict the Lee to priming and seating. Now the WH press is like a tank. The Lee is more like a Chevette.

mooman76
03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
That's all I wanted to know. Whether you actually were able to damage the press or was predicting that it would happen.

Skipper488
03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I used my Lee Challenger O press for some things other than reloading and completely smashed the steel parts I was working on. Now the challenger is Lee's "cheap" aluminum press, I can't imagine what would cause it to fail or that the Classic Cast is any less robust. The handle rod by the way is solid bar stock not a hollow tube.

1hole
03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
"then he damaged the (hollow) ram trying to disassemble the press to replace the toggle. So, no, they're not indestructible."

Proving nothing is fool proof to a sufficently determined fool.

Char-Gar
03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
I used one press for loading and all of the other operations you mentioned and cleaned it every ten years whether it needed it or not. I now have three pressed but still do most everything on the old RCBS A2. I am doing better now as it get cleaned ever five or six years.

flashhole
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Skipper, my Classic Cast and Classic Turret both have tube handles. They are not solid rod. Ae you confusing it with another press?

Skipper488
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I tore down my challenger last night to pack it up in preperation for the move, I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it but it sure seemed like solid rod to me. I may be mistaken but it'll have to wait until it gets unpacked for me to look at it again.

If it is tube and I decided I needed to replace it with a solid piece I'd get a piece of drill rod the correct diameter and epoxy a handle on it and call it good.

Cowboy T
03-09-2011, 11:46 PM
"then he damaged the (hollow) ram trying to disassemble the press to replace the toggle. So, no, they're not indestructible."

Proving nothing is fool proof to a sufficently determined fool.

[smilie=l: That was a good one! [smilie=l:

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I have a Lyman Orange Crusher, later version with the black graphite peened look.

$90 to include shipping and insurance in the lower 48. I got another A4 and it is now surplus to my needs.

Rich

olgandalf
08-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I have just started converting 223 to 7.62x38 using my old Spartan cast iron C-press (e-bay $20). I don't have a lathe either. I chuck the brass into my drill and grind it on the edge of a file held long ways in my craftsman work bench. Sometimes I haven't taken enough off before running it into the Lee die and have to grind some more. Two days ago I was impatient and rammed it up anyway. I didn't hurt the press, the pressure treated 6x2 it's bolted to or the old school desk this is all C-clamped to. BUT it took me two days to get the stuck brass out of the die. I'm a novice. I've only made 6 cases so far. Next step is to de-prime.

azrednek
08-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Watch Craig's list if you want a back up press for cheap. Use your imagination like you didn't know anything about reloading. Search with terms like bullet loader, ammunition machine maker tool etc or some phrase a divorcee, widow or non-gun type person might use to describe a press. Chances are good they will be happy taking a 10 or 20 dollar bill for it and you never know what else they may have with no idea of what it is. I've found that reloading equipment on Craig's list that is properly described. Chances are good the seller has gone to Ebay and has a pretty good idea of the used value.

o6Patient
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
You can get a good deal off flea bay but you have to be patient.
Some go for short money and some go for more than retail.
You may loose 30 before you get your deal. If you're in a
hurry you won't get the deal..or you might just get lucky.

1hole
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
"So, no, they're not indestructible."

Again, I've seen photos of broken top straps on RC presses,meaning nothing is fool-proof to a sufficently capabile fool. And choosing the right tool for any job seems advisable; perhaps anyone wanting to reload .50 BMG should start out with a Walnut Hill bullet swaging press rather than a common reloading press?? (Or would a Chinese Rock Chucker IV easily do that job? 8-) )

r1kk1
01-08-2013, 09:20 PM
I use a Champion that has solid handle and ram. It is a 30 lb tank. 1-3/16" ram, CH4D Rock Crusher has a 1-5/8" ram will handle the biggest stuff made and I believe up to a 2-1/2" diameter die. Both presses are extremely tough.

Take care

r1kk1

o6Patient
01-10-2013, 08:36 AM
If you can't break your press...your just not using a long enough handle.[smilie=w: