PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 180 FN--trouble feeding

Ickisrulz
03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Does anyone else have trouble feeding this thing?

I am using a Sako 75 in .30-06. The rifle uses a detachable box magazine. I have no problems when a cartridge is pulled from the left side of the magazine. But when I try to chamber a round from the right it gets stuck. I tried shortening the OAL but this didn't do anything.

I'm thinking the flat nose just might not feed right in this rifle.

Ben
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
That kind of thing will drive you crazy. I've dealt with that with Mausers. Some rifles are designed to feed with a spire pt. only.

You change the nose profile to a round nose or flat point bullet and it spells feeding problems with one side or in some cases both sides of the feed rails.

Have you given thought to trying a nose profile like a 311413 ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/IDEAL%20U%20311413/PICT0012.jpg

MT Gianni
03-04-2011, 02:58 PM
No problems in a lever 30-30, or 308. Feeds fine from a mauser 98 action re-bbled to 06.

Ickisrulz
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
That kind of thing will drive you crazy. I've dealt with that with Mausers. Some rifles are designed to feed with a spire pt. only.

You change the nose profile to a round nose or flat point bullet and it spells feeding problems with one side or in some cases both sides of the feed rails.

Have you given thought to trying a nose profile like a 311413 ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/IDEAL%20U%20311413/PICT0012.jpg

I like the mold I have now since it shoots well. Although the Sako seems to shoot everything well. If I really need to feed cast I will check out a new nose profile. I just haven't decided what I want to do yet. For range shooting I always feed one at a time. If I wanted to hunt I could chamber one and load another into the magazine and slap it in (since it will chamber the first cartridge). That would give me two shots anyway.

oldhickory
03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
It feeds fine through my 1894's and M-70 FWT .308, but it does give a bit of trouble in my Mauser .30-06.

NHlever
03-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I have the Saeco version of that bullet, and it feeds fine in my 94 Winchester, and my Ruger 77MKII Ultra Light, but was balky in my Remington 700 SPS .308. It wouldn't feed right from the left side of the magazine box so I had to dress down the feed rail on that side of the receiver carefully until the rounds would slide out of there well. Now that gun feeds, and shoots that bullet very well. If you do that, be pretty careful as you can go too far quickly, and then the rounds won't stay in the magazine, and the receiver would be very difficult to repair without affecting the heat treat.