PDA

View Full Version : 9mm in a revolver

Piedmont
03-04-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm hoping some of you have experience with shooting the 9mm Luger out of double action revolvers. Any and all comments welcome on the guns, clips, etc.

The inspiration for this thread is that I just today fitted a 9mm Speed Six cylinder onto a .357 Security Six. The cylinder had been in my project box for over ten years. I don't have any clips yet and will probably try it out first without them and see if it is reliable that way.

There is a long cylinder jump but the case capacity is so small that light loads should be a breeze.

There is no purpose for this project really, just messing with something different in a good, solid platform. If things don't work out I will put the .357 cylinder back in.

casterofboolits
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Fired 60 rounds thru a friends S&W 942(?) with a 2/3 inch barrel. Was a pretty snappy little hand full, but quite accurate at belly gun ranges. 5 to 7 yards. He was a LEO and used it as a back up.

All in all, a pretty neat little pistol.

frkelly74
03-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I have a ruger black hawk with a 357 and a 9mm Cylinder. I have tried the 9mm a couple of times and it hasn't been very impressive. With cast it keyholed all the boolits. It wasn't happy with them at all.

Wally
03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I too have a Ruger BHK w/ a 9mm cylinder. It is a bit challenging to find a good load that is accurate in it. The Lyman 120 TC sized to .358 with 3.5 grains of Bullseye is a good load that I've found that works in mine...good for plinking load out to 50 yards or so.

Years ago a fellow gave me hundreds of surplus Eygptian 9mm jacketed ammo. The rounds would often missfire in a S/A pistol, but all fired in my Ruger revolver and were very accurate. The jacketed bullets were .353" in diameter and yet they were accurate in my .3575" barrel.