PDA

View Full Version : Untapped WW gold mine - car dealerships!

theTastyCat
03-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Hey all - at least in my little corner of the world, I've had my biggest scores at dealerships. One I hit a month ago had over 400# of WW, and gave them to me at the $10 per 5-gal bucket I offered since I was willing to pull them all out of the big metal boxes they keep them in. I've been back a few times with plenty of donuts and they've been thrilled to see me. Went to another today and he said I could have them if I was willing to take them since they were in a large metal drum betwixt a bunch of garbage. I was thrilled to dump the whole thing in the bed of my truck and sort the trash out! Probably got 100-150 lbs.

Besides, the attitude of the service dept. guys at dealerships is worlds different than at the little ghetto tire shops (read: no recycling contract). Sometimes the little guys are thrilled to see you, sometimes they're not. One today was asking $100 for a 5-gal bucket. I know that might be a bargain in some areas, but not here! The service department guys seem to be less desperate for every last penny and are much more willing to do business. And, I don't think I've ever got "we're saving them for somebody" at a dealership, unlike pretty much every little tire place. AND dealerships are much easier to find than little tire shops - just ask my poor girlfriend, who tolerated a LOT of stopping when we were on vacation :)

Sorry if this is old news, but with things as they are, I know we are all pretty desperate (especially those of us who just started :evil:). Hope this might help somebody.

lwknight
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I guess when you get all excited about something new or cool , you just gotta run and tell. LOL

Hardcast416taylor
03-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I not only have 2 dealerships and a garage/tire center saving weights for me, they call me when they get half a pail or more. Keeping good relations with these good people is a prioarity to me.Robert

44fanatic
03-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Ill be spending more time in Nashville begining this month, might be a race to hit the car dealers down there....J/K

I hit the car dealers here in Clarksville and most already had someone picking them up on a regular basis...gotta a couple of sources that I am getting 100-150lbs per month so I think Im good.

theTastyCat
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
You know, for a split second I thought about being a WW miser, but I quickly realized that without this site I'd be up the silver creek, so I just had to share.

zuke
03-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I came across a scrap yard with2 45 gallon drum's heaped with WW.
When I asked if I could have some they said sure, $1.00 lb.!
Needless to say their still there.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Dealerships around here have been hit for a long time. I have to contend with guys making WW into FISHING WEIGHTS!

Jeffrey
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a fishing weight mould, have been getting $4.00 / lb for sinkers made from WW. And have been trading sinkers for wheel weights.

Hardcast416taylor
03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Why can`t people make fishing sinkers the old fashioned way? When I was a youngster, when dirt was clean, I would tie a small nut from a small bolt to a small length of line onto my main line. Fish couldn`t tell the difference!Robert

wgr
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Why can`t people make fishing sinkers the old fashioned way? When I was a youngster, when dirt was clean, I would tie a small nut from a small bolt to a small length of line onto my main line. Fish couldn`t tell the difference!Robert

are old spark plugs

lylejb
03-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Congrats on your score.

It all depends on how many tires the dealership does. I work at a dealership, have been there about a year and a half. when i first started there, I "cleaned up" the tire weights for them( 1 bucket) . As you can imagine, I've been watching closely, and we're only up to a half bucket now....yeah, a half bucket in a year and a half.....with plenty of iron and zinc:-(

clintsfolly
03-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I got a 5 gal pail about every 6 weeks at my dealership but over the last year the rate of steel/zinc has climbed to 30% but i have been selling the scrap. the last batch i got .11 a lbs. help make sorting a little less painful ! Clint

ubetcha
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I also work at a dealership and being the very first one there in the morning,in my rounds of unlocking the doors ,I make sure I get to the ww bucket and grap all the good stuff

skytex
03-06-2011, 01:59 PM
sigh... you know... i hate all of you that get tons and tons of lead so easily. I guess the waco area just sucks ass. I asked our local dealerships and they all said not no, but hell no. Contracted.

cavalrymedic
03-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I haven't tried the dealerships yet, good ide. I have hit 50 % of the tire stores and only one was amenable to my leaden desires. Last year, he sold me a 5 gal bucket for $20. This year, 1 gal bucket $25. He said the price of lead has gone up. At least I have 1 source. I gotta start on the other 50% and the dealerships. Likely someone from this forum has beaten me to 'em.

skytex
03-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I spread my range to every car dealership in a 6 county area. All but one contracted. The one I got 8lbs of ww. 6.4 lead 2.6 zinc or fe. Really disappointing. But not surprising. Wish I could get em from whoever all these tire shops and dealerships are contracted to.

theTastyCat
03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Skytex, I feel for you brother. I just got into this so I'm in super-panic mode about hoarding while it's possible, but I REALLY feel for y'all in areas where it just can't be had. I really feel bad turning places down that want $35-40 a bucket when you all can't find any, period. Wish I could kinda middle-man for you all!