PDA

View Full Version : Custom Swaging?

Upstate Matt
03-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Anybody do any "custom swaging"?

I'd like to get a 250 grain round nose bullet in 30 caliber.

I have a lyman 30 S and I'd like to make some cores with a soft tip by putting soft lead shot in the mold and pouring hard lead in. Then, send the cores out to have some bullets swaged.

7of7
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I have a 3/4 E round nose in 30 cal... I would be willing to do it for you..
Do you have jackets?

BLASTER62
03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I have jackets if Matt doesn't

7of7
03-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Just made one up, with some 7 1/2 shot,.. with a solid piece for the point.. 1.355 in length.. Had to smash the pellets down a few at a time so I could get good enough compression, because that is about as long as I can make them. I do have some harder lead for the tip,which may actually work better. Took me three attempts, but I did do it.
I am curious on what you would use these for? Are we thinking a safety type bullet that disintigrates shortly after penetration?
Anyway, this is a monster!!! A jacket of 1.3 - 1.35 inches would be a very good combination.. It would make it more of a copper nosed bullet with a small lead tip.. My jackets are 1.25..

Upstate Matt
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I am thinking of putting a piece or two of soft lead #4 buckshot in the core mold making a soft tip.

What got me thinking about this was the barnes 250 grain bullet. I just thought this might be better. I think about things that I really don't know about; you folks probably figured that out already!

Would this work for a hunting load?

7 of 7, I replied to your PM. Thank you. And I do not have any jackets.