PDA

View Full Version : How cheap are you?

hornady308
03-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Ok, I admit it. I am a cheapskate. I'm so cheap that....

1. If I see a bunch of wheelweights lying on the road at an intersection, I will pull over and pick them up. I keep an old coffee can in the trunk of my car to hold the weights. I have learned that the best place to look is along highway exit ramps. It seems that loose weights are frequently thrown from vehicles as they decelerate after leaving a highway.

2. I have gotten boxes of lead from my dentist (used for x-rays).

3. When I am buying a new tire I will slip an extra $5 or $10 to the mechanic in exchange for a bucket full of old weights.

4. I collect brass at the range...even those cases I cannot use (because you never know when you might get a good deal on a gun that can use the brass). Be prepared!

5. I purchased one of those gas check makers for $100 for .30 cal. I only need to make 2000 more before I will break even :)

6. When I walk downrange to get a target, I check the berm for bullets I can melt down. I have to admit that it is a bit of a hassle to melt the lead out of copper jacketed bullets, though.

7. I have purchased really old but full cans of gun powder that were used as displays in gun shops. The powder might be old, but it still works fine and I have gotten some great deals. I got a pound of Reloader 21 for less than $4.

PatMarlin
03-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Works for me,.

b money
03-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Im getting there and I havent even started casting. I will pick up ANY brass take it home and throw the rimfires in a "scrap brass" bucket and I will tumble the rest for hours on end if I even think it may someday clean up. yeah I'm cheap!!!!

geargnasher
03-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Wow. I do all seven of those things. Regularly. And that's not all. Do I need an intervention?

Gear

Gelandangan
03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
If all those is cheap, then "CHEAP" my friend, is my second name.
I do all those, plus I am willing to pick up small pieces of tin/lead droppings off the floor on an electronics assembly line..
So there..

Lead Fred
03-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Im so cheap my friends who walk for exercise pick up wheel weights for me :cbpour:

JeffinNZ
03-04-2011, 05:26 AM
All seven PLUS I reuse shotgun wads.

Shooter6br
03-04-2011, 05:42 AM
I am so tight i squek when I walk. My favorite replied to wife at the store is" Cost is no object as long as it's cheap":redneck:

rhbrink
03-04-2011, 05:46 AM
All seven PLUS I reuse shotgun wads.

I was at the range yesterday shooting my 38-55 and I use a poly wad seated under the boolit. Walking out to change targets I saw one of those wads laying in the grass so I picked it up looks great gonna reuse it. Looked around for some more only found one, them little suckers are hard to spot. Yep I'm cheap8-)

garym1a2
03-04-2011, 06:44 AM
I shoot into my dirt hill and dig the boolits out of the hill afterwards to melt them down and reuse the lead over and over.
Ibug all my friends to help me find free lead so I do not have to buy it.

Bret4207
03-04-2011, 07:33 AM
So whats the cheap part? All looks like common sense to me!

Hickory
03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Bret, you're a class act. I like it.:-)

*Paladin*
03-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Absolutely! :drinks:

GrumpyFinn
03-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Yup all those, but then I just shelled out 130 bucks to build a few PID's, not to mention the midget oxy/acetylene setup, so I can save more money while casting???? it's all in a perspective, you can't save money if you don't have the gadgets, right?

wiljen
03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
I've actually thought about prowling the wallyworld parking lot with a set of lineman's pliers and a 5 gallon bucket. The only one of your 7 points I don't agree with is $10 a bucket is way too much for wheel weights - I'm still not going over a 12 pack of dew and a box of donuts for mine.

frkelly74
03-04-2011, 10:15 AM
All of that , yep, plus if I see a 45 FMJ bullet on the ground that has only been shot once and looks almost new I will pick it up and load it up again. I am looking forward to the harvest when the snow melts. this time I am going to pick the 30 cal fmj that I have seen hints of.

I plan to adopt the line about " cost doesn't matter as long as it's cheap " If thats ok. It sounds just like something I would say. Thank You

WILCO
03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm guilty of 1, 4 & 6. I like having brass to keep and share with friends.

selmerfan
03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
I do all except the last, but that's because I don't frequent many old gun shops. :grin: And I'm only 31 - I'm learning fast!

HollowPoint
03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Cheap is my middle name.

Examples:

All of the above plus; now I've been systematically selling off some of my
rifles to buy Savage rifles.

Why? It allows me to do my own barrel swaps, head spacing, etc., without having to pay a
gunsmith to do it.

HollowPoint

1Shirt
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
T'aint cheap! Tis frugal!
1Shirt!:coffee:

beagle
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Guess I must be a redneck as I've done all of the things you mentioned most of my life./beagle

sundog
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I pass through an intersection on the SE side of town just about every day. NE corner is the cemetery, NW corner is rural water district office. Going south is just large parcel rural residential. Well, about a week ago I was rolling through and, low and behold, a half a roll of electrical tape! It was like winning the lottery.

Yeah, I stopped in the middle of the intersection and picked it up.

sqlbullet
03-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I learned to pick up tarp straps off the side of the road from my dad. Mortifies my wife the stuff I will stop to pick up.

And, I have friends that always have a few WW they picked up on walks.

And, I collect all the brass I can at the range. Steel too for that matter.

I haven't bought a check maker yet, but I am working on the art of paper patching to the end of eliminating the gas check.

steg
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
1Shiirt, ya beat me out on that one, and yes it does make sense to do the things that we do, we are also being "conservative", and that is hard to beat...........................steg

wiljen
03-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm with SQLbullet on the range pickup - if I can use it, I do. If I can't it goes in the scrap metal bucket and gets traded for lead the next time I go to the scrap yard.

Three44s
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I am so tight that I visit wrecking yards for replacment head lamps.

Three 44s

Reg
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Gosh, I thought everyone lived like that !!!!!

[smilie=l: [smilie=l:

45-70bpcr
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I am so tight that I visit wrecking yards for replacment head lamps.

Three 44s

Also a good source for washer fluid

snuffy
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm not cheap, I can get real expensive at times!:bigsmyl2:[smilie=l:

Let me loose in a tool store, you'll see!

If you mean frugal, or tight, I'm as tight as 5 coats of paint. I want value at a good price. If that's a conflict of thinking, then so be it. I can scrounge with the best of them.

Most of what has already been said I agree with. I'll go one more for ya. I use paper towels sheet to clean my glasses. I save those to use later as napkins while eating, or to mop up a spill. When I'm done with one, it has served several purposes! Top that one!:holysheep

RP
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree with Shirt its called frugal.

leadhead
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I don't concider myself cheap, I concider myself thrifty...............
Denny

miestro_jerry
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I am not sure about all of these things, I do most of them, but also go to heavy construction sites with a case or two of beer. Sometimes they give me a lead counter weight for heavy equipment for a cast of beer.

My midle name Thrifty.

Jerry

Rocky Raab
03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
There was a time in life when I did many or most of those things. Not now.

Funny though, now that I can afford anything I want short of a private jet, I already have all the "stuff" I think I'll ever want. Selling a lot of it off, as a matter of fact. Change is the only constant.

EMC45
03-04-2011, 02:32 PM
"CHEAP"?!?!?!?! "CHEAP"?!?!?!?!?!?!? I call it smart!

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I've got a small tool box next to the bench with 100 % road side pick -ups stocking it. I'm almost ashamed to say I will pick-up and re-use muzzle loader sabots that have all the petals intact. My son won't even shoot on the bench next to me when I start doing that. :bigsmyl2:

Mike

MT Gianni
03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm so cheap I once pulled the ivories from a road kill Elk.

Poygan
03-04-2011, 03:22 PM
As a retired budget counselor, I have my own definitions of frugal and cheap. To me, frugal means wanting to get value for the money...after all we've traded hours of our life for the money. Frugal means not wasting something, especially conspicuous consumption of marginally valuable goods. I don't buy new cars - the last new car I bought was for my daughter to drive to college and that was 30 years ago. Our newest vehicle is my wife's '99 van. I use old powder and old primers - both work quite well. I'm happy when others buy factory ammo and leave the brass for me.

Cheap is a miserly mindset. Cheap says its mine and not yours and I won't share. Cheap is a tightly closed fist. Cheap is price first and foremost.

I see the vast majority of the people here as being frugal and I suspect this is a typical characteristic of the boolit caster. But we're not cheap as witnessed by the willingness to help others which is a frequent occurrence. People we don't know and probably will never meet in person.

So, I doubt there are a lot of cheap folks here. You are simply smart enough to be frugal!

AZ-Stew
03-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I like steg's word: Conservative.

We recycle wheel weights to make boolits, then dig them out of the backstop, melt and cast them again. That's recycling the recycled. I doubt many Berkeleyite Greenies can claim to recycle the recycled.

Regards,

Stew

b money
03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
just a comment: I think this thread should be a sticky, for a few reasons. first it's a good topic for people to share their experiences, second people could learn new "frugal" ideas, and third it's just plain funny to read through and catch yourself saying "that's a darn good idea, why didn't I think of that?" etc

anybody else?

Harter66
03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I picked up 5# of ww while on vacation in Anihiem. Only reused a few wads for 410 . I do have a small bag of brass best suited for jackets. Garand clips yep. I was in charge of back bboards and posts at the public range ,I put HEAVY duty baffel boxs behind the 25yd targets ,600# and was paid to collect it. When the necks split on my 06',I size them to x57,308,22-250 and assorted moon clip able 45s(rimless Colts,Schofield,Win mag,Rolin,ACP,GAP),303s get it too from 2.125 to rimed GAP. I bought a 410 roll crimp tool and use them down to 1.5 for the RBH. I'm sad there's no moon clips for 9mm,then I could use all that 223/nato for 357/38,9x23,21,19,17/380 in a tweeked revolver. I turn my expander/bellers from rod for the universal decaperr.

Jack Stanley
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Poygan , there is a lot of wisdom and I think a good bit of experience in what you say . I've seen that tightly closed fist enough times to see it as an example ..... of how not to be . I've seen that type of person squander others ( and their own ) time just to save three dollars . I'm sure we've all seen the behavior some display I'm just glad most of use don't choose to emulate it .

Though I have re-used plastic shotgun wads before , when I see a good value I buy it and don't waste time trying to beat them out of it . I've met some very helpful people that way .

Jack

Von Gruff
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I think that for many of us "older gents" we grew up with parents who had gone through the great depression and the second world war so that making the best use of what you had was first and second nature. For us on top of that my father was done badly by a business partner and he lost his business and house so we lived with a no wastage policy growing up. We were tought not to ask is we could afford it but could we make it ourselves. Recycle and reuse make and make do and use the little money we had for the things we couldn't make. This is-was the most valuable gift my parents gave me and I have lived a life of contentment by continueing with this way of thinking. I have spent money of course and have learned to buy the best I can afford but get the most satisfaction in making things for myself. And this goes doubly so for my shooting with a hunt outing earlier in the week seeing many things I made being used with rifles, ammo, knives (both fixed blade and folding), belts, scope bags and lens covers, shotgun ammo bags all being hand made, or in the case of the rifles all the stocking and some of the metal work.

It is not being cheap, nor frugal, nor any of the other apelations. It is a way of life that contributes to who we are as people and a large part of why we are part of the Cast Boolit family.

Von Gruff.

Rocky Raab
03-04-2011, 06:34 PM
That's a perfect description, Von Gruff. A toast to you, sir!

Walter Laich
03-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I've gathered lead from around the cowboy steel we shoot at.

I've been known to check with roofing crews in the neighborhood to get the roofing lead they remove from the vents on the roof

7br
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM
I am cheap and lazy. I figure some where there is a graph like the supply-demand curve we all learned about in Economics that charts out the sweet spot for me.

Centaur 1
03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
All of that , yep, plus if I see a 45 FMJ bullet on the ground that has only been shot once and looks almost new I will pick it up and load it up again. I am looking forward to the harvest when the snow melts. this time I am going to pick the 30 cal fmj that I have seen hints of.

I plan to adopt the line about " cost doesn't matter as long as it's cheap " If thats ok. It sounds just like something I would say. Thank You

I was recently given a bucket of range scrap to smelt. Before I did I pulled out about a thousand good looking 9mm bullets, cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner and ran them through a Lee .356 sizing die. The place they came from was an indoor range that uses crushed rubber backstop, so no dirt or sand. I wonder if Glock would approve of them?

garandsrus
03-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Hornady,

A friend of mine is so cheap that Mac and Cheese are two separate meals...

You appear to be a spendthrift. :)

John

Pirate69
03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Spend 30 minues looking for a 9mm case in the grass.

fecmech
03-04-2011, 11:54 PM
The term I prefer is "value conscious"!

JIMinPHX
03-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm pretty cheap. I'm working on reloading .223 for less than the cost of buying bulk box .22lr. Also, the rifle that I usually shoot cost less than the gas that I have consumed going hunting in the last year.

10 ga
03-05-2011, 12:31 AM
1. I'm not cheap, I'm poor.
2. Once, on a bet, I picked up enough road kill in one month, and skinned and
sold the fur to guy a new ML.
3. Heck, roadkill is a good source of protein, saves on boolits.
4. I've reused boolits and shot recovered from game. As is, not evem resmelted.
We keep a paint bucket on a shelf in the skinning, butchering, picking shed. All
the recovered shot and boolits go there for smelting or reuse.
5. I resmelt all my dross and clips to extract max yield of material.
6. I use wood fired smelter for all my raw "ore" and dross and clip smelting.
7. I harvest the castors from my beaver, glands from the muskrats, anal and
scent glands from mink, otter, fox, and coon and sell them.
8. I harvest and sell the penis bones from any animal I get that has such.
9. I harvest and sell the "capes" off of any ducks and game birds to the fly tyer
guys. Yeah, it's legal!

Ok you get the idea. Doin whatever I can to stretch the dollars and keep this hunting, trrapping and fishing thing from breakin me. Retired and lovin it. 10

lwknight
03-05-2011, 01:11 AM
I think the word " cheap " is used wrong for us.
Cheap is : buying a 99 cent wrench that will break on the first use or not even work.
Frugal is buying the $3.99 wrench that will last a lifetime. Buying cheap junk ends up costing more than getting something of quality the first time. So cheap is not frugal.

I believe the word for us ammocrafters is " tight " and or " frugal" .

Huntducks
03-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Reloaders are cheap bas$$$$, but casters are the cheapest of cheap.

I don't make my own GC because I have thousands of them that I bought CHEAP.

Everthing else I thought seemed normal.

I save my old primers thinking if everything went to sh!! I could always shoot them out of a shotgun for self defense.

Bret4207
03-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Boy, sounds like most of us are cut from the same cloth. For instance, I HATE using paper plates, wasteful. I haven't used a coffee maker filter in years except for the brief period of time it took to locate a flat bottom basket filter for the new machine. The old wedge filter from the dead coffee maker now strains oil after making chicken tenders. I've spent so much time looking for an ejected shell that I missed incoming ducks- hey, 16 ga shells are hard to find! I have patched tires and boots to point they look like a strange rubber quilt. My newest tractor is a 1967 IIRC, the oldest a 1948, my square baler dates from the 50's and my round baler cost me $1400.00 ( that's dirt cheap). I make and rivet brake linings, rebuild carbs, make my own plug wires from solid core copper WW2/Korean era plug wire I got found in a dump. I've built 2 complete 3 pt hitch assembly's from junk and scrap. I feed road kill and dead chickens to my pigs. I reuse copper fittings, pick up nuts and bolts and chase the threads. I don't throw away worn Phillips screwdrivers, I forge the point out and turn it into a flat blade screwdriver. I re-temper tools that are too soft or hard. I still use gasoline blow torches, a foot powered grindstone, own a grain binder and threshing machine, use horse power and repair harness. I adapted a set of JD 350 tracks to fit a JD40 crawler and adapted rollers from a 350 and 450 to the 40, all for maybe $75.00 instead of the several thousand it would have cost to replace the 40 tracks or get a newer machine. I'm currently adapting a 2 cyl Wisconsin baler engine to a Bobcat 440 using jack shafts. The Onan the Bobcat came with would cost close to a grand to rebuild, the Wisconsin I took off that baler I mentioned earlier. The shafting and whatnot will be less than $100.00 total.

I don't know if what I do makes sense overall to everyone. I do know that I can't justify putting my money into certain things when I have better places for it to go.

GP100man
03-05-2011, 10:23 AM
I've actually thought about prowling the wallyworld parking lot with a set of lineman's pliers and a 5 gallon bucket. The only one of your 7 points I don't agree with is $10 a bucket is way too much for wheel weights - I'm still not going over a 12 pack of dew and a box of donuts for mine.

Trust me & don`t ask !!! People DO NOT take kindly to you cleaning there tires of hazard material , even if you were gonna recycle !!!

They just don`t understand the madness - - -must have lead[smilie=b:

Netherwolf
03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I reuse foam ear plugs. After a range session I put my used foam ear plugs inside a dirty sock & wash 'em with the rest of the laundry. I find them later when I put on clean socks. The ear plugs come out clean, spotless & look like brand new.

Steel food cans are rinsed then squeezed on the open end to form a 'wedge', then shoved under the tires of my car or truck which, to save space, flattens them the next time I pull out of the driveway. The steel cans are added to my other steel scrap (ww clips, steel cartridge cases, etc.) & sold to the scrap yard I pass when going to town. Aluminum food cans (& the aluminum "ring pull" from some of the steel food cans)are 'processed' the same way.

Netherwolf

Three44s
03-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm with Bret on everything except that gasoline torch!

Better switch up to a propane torch .......... Dad did after he just about burnt his then new farm shop down with the old gasoline variety.

I do really like that turning worn phillips head screw drivers into straight blades ....... and I have also re-tempered tools. Bought a set of harbor freight punches and chisels and had to re-harden the whole set. Works great now!

Von Gruff and Jack Stanely's posts at the top of this page ought to be bronzed! They bear re-reading over and over by all of us.

We can joke about being "tight" or cheap but must remember that we must not transgress on others in doing so ....... Von's and Jack's post illuminate what we should strive for ever so elloquently!

+10 Gentlemen!

Three 44s

WRideout
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
One of the proudest moments of my life was when my employer moved the household from California to Knoxville, TN for a new position I took. In addition to the regular clothes and washing machine, etc, they moved a large box with one quarter ton of lead ingots! A few years later, my ex-wife sold them off to a scrap dealer. I'm still working on some Christian forgiveness for that one. BTW: According to the Knoxville newspaper, every true redneck has at least one ex-wife, so I guess I am in that club.

Wayne

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2011, 11:41 AM
a radio show I listen too, Joe Soucheray's "Garage Logic"
He plays the Mayor of the mythical town of "Garage Logic"
among many other entertaining facets of the town,

Joe mentions the "Last Drop'rs"
that refers to those of us (yes I certainly include myself)
that want to get that last drop of use out of everything,
everything we own and everything others throw out or
sell cheap, that haven't been fully used up.
I think the title "Last Drop'rs"
originated from a caller who built a fixture
to hold automotive oil cans/bottles upside down
to drain after an oil change...to get that last drop out of the container.

sounds like most of us here !

BTW, He clearly differentiates between Liberals who recycle
just to be stylish or "Better" than others. He refers to them
as euphorians.

give it a listen sometime, streams live weekdays from 4pm to 5:30pm CT
http://1500espn.com/shows/garagelogic

Hang Fire
03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I am not cheap, but I am rather frugal.

camaro1st
03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
so tight here i use shirt tail for cleaning the glasses, sleeves are for napkins and socks are for cleaning the spills.:wink:
so tight cant shove a toothpick through the butthole with a sledge hammer!!!
everything but molds came from rummage sales...

Bret4207
03-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Better switch up to a propane torch .......... Dad did after he just about burnt his then new farm shop down with the old gasoline variety.

Three 44s

Nah, ya just gots to be careful. To get propane to burn as hot as the gas torch you need to go to a huge unit that uses huge amounts of propane. Just not efficient for my needs.

songdog53
03-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Sounds like me. Most people stop to pick up penny...with me is wheel weight. I am still loading out of powder that was bought when gun store went out of business 15 years ago. Plus melting J bullets aren't so bad the copper will float to the top. Stopped and picked up wheel weight in neighbors drive way and thought " Life is Good"

NHlever
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
There was a time in life when I did many or most of those things. Not now.

Funny though, now that I can afford anything I want short of a private jet, I already have all the "stuff" I think I'll ever want. Selling a lot of it off, as a matter of fact. Change is the only constant.

Rocky, I was telling a clerk in a gun store the other day that it was too darn bad that now I couuld afford any gun I want, I can't see the sights on half of them. :D

I do most of the things mentioned when it makes sense, but I did think I had made a big score when I found 300+ pounds of 1-15 alloyed ingots for .20/pound. I still have my share of "mystery metal", but it gets used in plain base handgun boolits that I separate per the lot mixed.

NHlever
03-09-2011, 08:43 AM

I do really like that turning worn phillips head screw drivers into straight blades ....... and I have also re-tempered tools. Bought a set of harbor freight punches and chisels and had to re-harden the whole set. Works great now!

Von Gruff and Jack Stanely's posts at the top of this page ought to be bronzed! They bear re-reading over and over by all of us.

We can joke about being "tight" or cheap but must remember that we must not transgress on others in doing so ....... Von's and Jack's post illuminate what we should strive for ever so elloquently!

+10 Gentlemen!

Three 44s

I agree fully! I still remember the time as a boy when I really needed a chisel for a "project" that I was working on. I couldn't afford one despite trying to save all I could. Brothers, and sisters needed things worse, and they came first. I went to the local hardware store once again in the hopes that I could find something. The owner came over and asked what it was I needed. When I explained what was needed, and what it was needed for, he picked up a screwdriver, and said follow me. We went upstairs where he carefully ground the screwdriver into a chisel, and then heat treated it with a little torch, and some oil. He charged me the price of the screwdriver, and I used that thing for years. Now he could have given me a chisel for the same price, and not "wasted" all that time with me showing me things I could use on my own for probably less money out of his pocket, but I'm sure glad he showed me one more thing about being conservative, frugal, or resourseful rather than being cheap.

Now just wait a minute while I run over there, and pick up that wheel weight I spotted! :D

MT Gianni
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I reuse foam ear plugs. After a range session I put my used foam ear plugs inside a dirty sock & wash 'em with the rest of the laundry. I find them later when I put on clean socks. The ear plugs come out clean, spotless & look like brand new.
Netherwolf

Netherwolf, tie a knot in the top of the sock and they are all right there.

1Shirt
03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Somebody mentioned saving used primers to shoot :in a shotgun if things really got tough. I tried that way back with a 12g. CVA Muzzle loader. Takes a lot of them to make an ounce, and being lighter than lead and of odd shape, they really make an odd pattern. Would make a whale of a defense load at less than 20 ft. or so. Onlly shot a couple of them, so no long run analysis.
1Shirt!:coffee:

linotype
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I have to agree about making do, reusing, and recycling. Makes sense to me.

Must have rubbed off on are cats. When I clear a mouse trap and toss the mouse outside, the cats give me that look like, "Hey! That's a perfectly good used mouse!"

roverboy
03-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I've picked up brass that I don't even load, hoping that somebody can use it or I can make what I need from it. Now that I'm getting in to casting, who knows what I'll do.

AZ-Stew
03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I reuse the good patches from the muzzle loader. Might get 3 shots from one!

Fishhawk, you truly squeek!

Regards,

Stew

iwottopq
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok, I admit it. I am a cheapskate. I'm so cheap that....

1. If I see a bunch of wheelweights lying on the road at an intersection, I will pull over and pick them up. I keep an old coffee can in the trunk of my car to hold the weights. I have learned that the best place to look is along highway exit ramps. It seems that loose weights are frequently thrown from vehicles as they decelerate after leaving a highway.

2. I have gotten boxes of lead from my dentist (used for x-rays).

3. When I am buying a new tire I will slip an extra $5 or $10 to the mechanic in exchange for a bucket full of old weights.

4. I collect brass at the range...even those cases I cannot use (because you never know when you might get a good deal on a gun that can use the brass). Be prepared!

5. I purchased one of those gas check makers for $100 for .30 cal. I only need to make 2000 more before I will break even :)

6. When I walk downrange to get a target, I check the berm for bullets I can melt down. I have to admit that it is a bit of a hassle to melt the lead out of copper jacketed bullets, though.

7. I have purchased really old but full cans of gun powder that were used as displays in gun shops. The powder might be old, but it still works fine and I have gotten some great deals. I got a pound of Reloader 21 for less than $4.

Hello Friends
I do all of this but in my city the WW are free becouse all the tire repairs are my friends. Their are thinking that I am a crazy...
Nino

Shooter6br
03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh yes i am so cheap ( How cheap are you?) i ask people to scan magazine articles instead of buying the magazine. Or is that just environmentally friendly?

HangFireW8
03-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Netherwolf, tie a knot in the top of the sock and they are all right there.

He probably just likes the joy of discovery! :-P

wgr
03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
so your the reason i cant find ww on the road any more. no your not cheap just smart

oscarflytyer
03-10-2011, 12:23 AM
OK - can't watch this and not post any longer... Little off from casting, but... I have been known to pick up road kill for the fur/feathers to tie flies!

And I cast/reload/tie flies/ready to make my own lube, etc - because I AM cheap, and I also like doing things myself.

nanuk
03-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Joe mentions the "Last Drop'rs"
that refers to those of us (yes I certainly include myself)
that want to get that last drop of use out of everything,
everything we own and everything others throw out or
sell cheap, that haven't been fully used up.
I think the title "Last Drop'rs"
originated from a caller who built a fixture
to hold automotive oil cans/bottles upside down
to drain after an oil change...to get that last drop out of the container.

My Dad used to buy cars from a friend of his. One day I asked about the trough in the back with the oil cans on it.... Seems the owner/mechanic of this dealership drips out EVERY can of oil he uses for customers, and the MIX gets put in his own vehicles. Dad said this man changed his oil ever 2000 miles.

Chris Smith
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I ride a bicycle quite a bit. Can't ride it to work as it's a 50 mile trip one way. But I carry a few toold in a pouch on the handlebars and if there is a wheel weight embeded in the asphault I use a screwdriver to dig it out. I also ride around the local tire shops on Sunday afternoons and pick up whats scattered all over the place. Nobody cares. I'll pick up tools I find while riding and can always toss them if they are broken or useless. Any brass gets picked up and I'll melt range bullets too. Reuse shotgun wads and here are some tips for at home things to try. I turn off my water heater if I'm not there. No sense in it going all the time and it will stay HOT for about 36 hours anyway. Everything is on plug strips so I can turn off the tv or computer for sure. I use a clothes line in good weather for drying the laundry and have a couple of racks I made for some laundry in the winter(in the house). On the flip side I have a Mustang with a hot rod 351 engine and it's kinda thirsty. My ski boat is Exxon's best friend.

camaro1st
03-10-2011, 09:59 PM
OK - can't watch this and not post any longer... Little off from casting, but... I have been known to pick up road kill for the fur/feathers to tie flies!

And I cast/reload/tie flies/ready to make my own lube, etc - because I AM cheap, and I also like doing things myself.

i also do the road kill thing, keep nippers in the door of all the vehicles and i have a good stock of deer tails and squirel tails. and i dye them whatever color i need, people laugh but thats a lot of bucks saved.

Ajax
03-11-2011, 06:23 AM
here is something to think about if you live where it snows alot. All major stores have their lots plowed when th esnow melt all the stuff from the lot will be in a nice little pile. i have foud 7 lbs of WW in 1 parking klot so far this year and i will be searching more.

Andy