PDA

View Full Version : 1895 and 336 barrel thread size

nfg
03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Can anyone give me the barrel thread sizes for the 1895 and 336 Marlins...I need the thread OD, the thread depth or Minor diameter, thread length and the barrel OD for BOTH if they are not the same.

I want to do some wildcatting but ran into receiver inside dimension difficulties in the 336with the 284 and WSM case sizes. I have a square threaded receiver with a Jes rebored 356 Win chamber...very good work and it shoots great...but I got a wild hair to do a 375/416 with one of the newer cases...RCM, belted mag with belt removed...or...??? :holysheep :twisted:

Anyone you know do any wildcatting on the 336 square thread receiver specifically and what did they do?

I've been hitting some of the different forums and came up with some information, but I need more.

Thanks

missionary5155
03-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Good morning
If you have not you might try running a similar thread down in Special Projects.
Then you could also give Jesse Reboring a jingle on the lines. I would think he could enlighten you on the Marlin barrels.

nfg
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks...I did call Jess but he didn't have that info at hand, and I've emailed a couple of leversmiths without success as you can see.

I've been crawling all over the levergun forums asking for information on my project but no one is coming up with this specific info...I will be stripping down my 336 soon and will just measure the threads directly...just trying to get a jump on the gun to work out the specifics before tearing things apart.

The information is out there, there was lots of information back when the 450 M first came out but most of the forums started over the beginning of this year as far as the posts are concerned.

Seems strange that the different forum moderators aren't coming up with this information or at least WHERE I could find it.

LUCK

NHlever
03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Frank DeHass (sp?) wrote a very good book on rifles, and I do believe that he had full drawings of the Marlin threads in the rear of that book........ Also, the NRA gunsmithing manual that was published in softcover some time ago had the same thing for many rifles. I know that isn't much help, but it might give you another place to hunt down.

fireball168
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
The best I can read it, my scanned copy of an old Trinidad State manual shows:

Marlin 336

Major - .780
Minor - .722
Tenon length - .770
Barrel OD - .880
12 TPI square

On the 1895 45-70 XLR takeoff barrel I've got here:

Major .780
Minor .732 (as best I can measure it)
Total tenon length is .850" including the hood.
Barrel OD .937

nfg
03-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Thank Y'all very much...I have at least two of Frank D's books but neither have any lever gun data, and I will get the NRA book ordered as soon as I can find my head again.

Fireball...that XLR barrel has V threads doesn't it...what is the threads per inch by any chance? Now I know how large I can go with the barrel OD for whatever cal barrel I do. That 0.057" difference in barrel OD's makes a big difference in strength.

Is that tenon length of 0.770" including the hood also. When I talked to Jes I asked him about the "need" of the hood and he said he did some barrels for himself without that doodad and just ground a small notch to guide the bullet. That takes quite a bit of fancy mill work PLUS timing it right so I'm glad it's just a guide that could be eliminated possibly.

BFG...I LIKE that...do you do any stuff for the NEF by any chance. I've done a few stub swap barrels and had some sort of 30 - 50 cal "whisper" in mind to do, but your 358 Gremlin would do just fine also.

I gotta quit looking for more projects when I have 4-5 in/on the fire right now. Hahahahah

Thanks again, all

fireball168
03-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Fireball...that XLR barrel has V threads doesn't it...what is the threads per inch by any chance?

Square threads, looks to be 12 TPI by my gauge.

Send me your email address and I'll send you this Trinidad barrel shank scan.

Is that tenon length of 0.770" including the hood also.

By the drawing, yes.

BFG...I LIKE that...do you do any stuff for the NEF by any chance. I've done a few stub swap barrels and had some sort of 30 - 50 cal "whisper" in mind to do, but your 358 Gremlin would do just fine also.

I've done some, don't particularly care for stubbing - would much prefer a rebore.

Have all sorts of chamber reamers that will give you anything from a cough to a whisper.

nfg
03-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks again...I thought Marlin went to V threads for all the calibers...guess not...I'm still coming across new and interesting information.

Rebores are better most of the time...I tried it to use up one really bad barrel for the stub section and a few takeoff and "worn" out barrels for the other cartridges. They ended up shooting WAY better than the original cartridge. Stubbing seemed to be going strong a few years ago in the NEF, but not so much now. It was interesting to do tho' and I ended up with 3 very accurate "new" shooters...a 17FB, 6mmBR and 222RM AND they are a heck of a lot quicker to swap around than my Savage's.

Thanks for the offer but the numbers will do just fine. I will do a dummy barrel section to see how the "hoodless" barrel actually works before doing the new chambered barrel and I can copy the hood on the old barrel.

The good news is I can rent a 375-284 reamer...:D... and Ch4D has the dies...so I might be closer to the goal that I first thought.:bigsmyl2:

Luck

JFE
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
From what I gather V-threading was used in the 450M, 308ME and 338ME models. There is some useful info on McPherson's site, particularly in the article: "What is possible in a Marlin". He discusses the V-threading in some depth in that article.

http://www.levergun.com/Marlin/index.html

nfg
03-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Thank you very much...I missed that article somehow.:roll: If/once I get this project done Mic or Nonneman will get it for the "long action" treatment. I can do 2.65" right now but for the longer cases I don't know how to time the action correctly.

LUCK

fireball168
03-07-2011, 07:43 AM
If/once I get this project done Mic or Nonneman will get it for the "long action" treatment. I can do 2.65" right now but for the longer cases I don't know how to time the action correctly.

Pick up Precision Shoting October 1998.

Between the text and the pictures, Mic's article shows for the most part how to get it done.

I believe there is another article in a later issue that gets it up to 2.7", but I haven't been able to find my notes on that one.

nfg
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks again...I'll do that...pictures always help.

I still need to call DRC to see what he charges...He does a 45-90 conversion to 2.85" to the 1895 Malin. That's as far as I can open my stock 336. It looks like you need to make/modify the ejector by a bunch for certain. and somehow get the bolt to move backwards/open a little more. It looks like the bolt could open 0.100-0.150" more to be even with the end of the port. 2.85" would leave ~.375" of bullet in the case on my 284 conversion using a 1.055" bullet and 70 gr H20 volume.

This levergun stuff is a lot MORE difficult to get done than any bolt or ss I ever built.[smilie=b:

LUCK

JFE
03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Modified Marlins can cost a lot of money and if you are after a traditional levergun you should consider basing your conversion on a 86/71 platform. A 71 can cycle a 2.8-ish " cartridge and the 348 itself is in effect a rimmed WSM cartridge.

On such a platform a wildcat like a 375 Alaskan (somewhat like a rimmed 375 WSM) would need some feed work, but the conversion would be easier. Plus you end up with a stronger rifle and larger cartridge.

nfg
03-07-2011, 04:39 PM
You're absolutely correct about the cost factor...I'm doing whatever work is required myself and staying within the Marlin pressure, case size max, etc, parameters. My Marlin can handle up to 2.65", depending on bullet shape right now, as I've said, and I'm rooting around for information on how to do the timing and ejector work as we speak. I've got a fax out to Precision Shooting Mag for the Mic McPhearson article and looking for a book on Leverguns also.

Yeah...way back in the day there was a cartridge called the 35 Express which was a rimmless 348, the rim was turned off and an extractor groove cut in....definitely a pre WSM, 35 WSM, whose time hadn't arrived yet.

I'm way too cheep to buy a 71/86 and rebarrel it...this is just a fun project to do...I've been wildcating a very long time and like to do the "strange", "what a duh" things, :shock: :twisted:, besides I have a bunch of bigbores including a 45-120...I was thinking about doing a 375 barrel using the 50-140 case just for kicks but the cost went way up so that daymare delusion, phantasmic ignis fatuus went away when I sobered up.

LUCK