PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a 1911..want opinions

218bee
03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I've been without a 1911 45acp for too long now and want one. Had a couple over the years also a Sig 229 which aint a 1911 but sure shot great. All are long gone for other stuff I felt I NEEDED.
Looking for opinions on two newer guns and just general thoughts on any you've had good luck with or clunkers you would suggest I avoid.
Basic criteria for me is as follows:
This will be a general purpose walkin around shooter with informal target work and load development both cast and jacketed.
First and foremost I want reliability and decent quality
Next is "good" accuracy say 4-5" at 25yds...for me thats good
I want a 1911 style that I could upgrade with parts in future if I want
Want to keep it under say $850 (for new)
The two I am curious about if anyone has experience with are the new Remington R1 is it? and the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Would like to now about any first hand with those.
What about Rock Island , Para or Chas Daly on the cheaper side.
Dont want Taurus...and want a 1911 style steel.
Looking for ideas from guys that have experience with these or others both good and bad.
What say ye

Tom W.
03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Colt..

egg collector
03-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I have several 1911 colts and to me the best feeling and shooting gun is a delta elite 10mm. If you look you can get one in that price range. If you want one to carry, it may be too large to carry, depending on your size. For carry the colt 380 gov. model is my gun of choice and you can get one cheaper than 850.00. But that is just me. Good luck.

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Currently, there are five 1911-type .45 ACPs living in my safe. Three are Colt Series 70s - a Gold Cup, a LW Commander, and a TK Custom "Race Gun". The other two are an IPSC "stock gun class" built on a Caspian frame and a 1943-vintage parkerized Remington-Rand marked U.S.M.C. If I was looking to add another from what's available today, I'd most likely go with the S&W SW1911 or a basic Kimber but wouldn't swap any of my Colts for either.

Bill

knifemaker
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Of the two brands you mentioned, I would go with the Springfield. Will meet the needs you qouted and should surpass the accuracy that you wanted. Lately I have been seeing too many complaints on Remington quality control going downhill involving their rifles and I would be leary about QC on their pistols.

On the Marlin rifle site, quite a few of the members have been very disapointed on the new Marlin rifles after Remington took control of that company. Most of the complaints is due to very poor quality control in letting guns out that are not up to par to the marlins that were produced prior to Remington buying them out.

Carolina Cast Bullets
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Iknow you said no Taurus but have you looked at the Taurus PT1911?

I have one in SS. It has all the "bells and whistles" of a Kimber, Ed Brown or other high end CCW 1911's but with half to 2/3's the price depending on where you buy it.

Mine shoots anything I feed it and keeps everything under 5" at 25 yards providing my old eyes can keep up with it. not only that, I've got 4 mags with 8 rounds + one in the hole.

Just my input

Jerry

Otony
03-03-2011, 11:48 PM
I have owned three or four Colts, built about a half dozen Caspian parts guns (one by a reputable "name" 'smith in the early '90s, the rest with the help of a friend who is a superb 'smith), and have owned three or four Springfield Armorys. Also owned a Para-Ordnance briefly.

Not a tremendous amount of experience, but certainly a fair share. I currently own a Springfield Armory G.I. that is slowly being transformed into a minimally improved (on the outside) carry gun. On the inside it has had almost every thing replaced with better quality components. Shoots quite nicely. Were I to do it over I might start with a Mil-Spec so as to avoid having to change the sights, but I am otherwise satisfied.

My second 1911 is an ATI FX45, which translates into a Filipino Commander. My first P.I. 1911, and I am actually impressed. There are three companies producing 1911s in the Philipines, and this one is built by SAM, Shooters Arms Manufacturing. Out of the box it very attractive, with a satin black finish (and some heavily varnished, fully checkered grips that were soon replaced).

I tried something a little odd with it and rubbed out the whole thing with Simichrome. The result was a soft, smooth blue finish that is just barely turing grey on the high spots. Call it ten years of loving care and use in an hour and a half. Why? Don't rightly know except I was bored and curious. But you want to know how it works.

In a nutshell, great. Smooth functioning, decent accuracy (meets your needs and then some), and hardly any issues. The one glitch was that the grip safety didn't block things from going "boom". The little leg reaching forward was too short and somehow not caught in QC. Didn't bother me a whit, as I had intended from the start to replace the beavertail grip safety and Commander hammer with a GI grip safety and an old fashioned wide spur hammer ala' a 1911 (NOT an A1!).

Internally the finish is excellent with a few tiny niggles. The barrel link looks a teeny bit rough, but has not shown any other complaints. The recoil spring plug and the rod (not full length, hurray for John M. and Jeff C.) are also a teeny bit lacking in finess. The fix? I am ignoring the link until such time as it gives me trouble, and replaced the plug and guide rod to make myself feel better. Was it needed? Nope.

I need to point out how smooth the interior of the slide and frame is, excellent machine work. These are built using a cast frame and machined slide, so nothing new or unusual here, but for a 1911 service pistol (OK, a short service pistol) that cost $400 delivered I am NOT complaining about a few things that want or need tidying up! It is the rare handgun, especially 1911s, that I don't end up switching out quite a few parts on any way. Indeed, my Springfield has seen virtually every thing replaced short of the slide, barrel, and frame and it was a more expensive pistola to begin with.

For a pistol that delivers the goods for under four C notes I am duly impressed. I also appreciate that it can see just a bit rougher usage without my wincing if it gathers a scratch or three (though no Lieutenant marks, please). I am quite careful with my toys and tools, but it is nice to know that I am not destroying my children's inheritance by dragging this one through the mud, blood, and beer.

Have to admit that the Range Officer is darn near perfect, but I do like replacing MIM parts so as to sleep better at night........silly yes, but it makes me feel better. ;-) That is why I started with a GI, and why playing with the Filipino .45 (low expectations) is such a joy (high satisfaction).

Hope that helps. Oh yeah, I would never bother with another Para-Ordnance, but that is another story..........

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
I bought a Para-Ordnance P-14 (15 round 45acp) eight or nine years ago. I shot IPSC with it, still use it as my carry pistol, it does everything I want, and fifteen times if I want.
It is the all stainless target sight model.

I liked it enough to buy a twin, in 40 S&W (P-16)two years later, and last year I also bought one in 9mm/38 Super (P-18).

They just work every time, and the only changes from out of the box are a 3lb trigger, and ambidextrous controls. I am a lefty.

Rich
Stick your hand out like you have a pistol in it and go Bang! fifteen times.

Phillip
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Springfield would be my first choice for new.

Used, Colt, but they are pricey now since colt stopped production of them quite some time ago.

fatboy
03-04-2011, 12:30 AM
the springfield is good, i just picked up a used kimber for 800.00 with low mileage! plus i have an auto ordinance from the 80s that shoots well, and a colt comander. they all have a special place in my heart.

Matthew 25
03-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Hello 218bee. I like Springfield and Colt but I think there are other really good ones. Take this link as "for what it's worth." Clark Custom guns is a reputable builder of all things cool. They can convert a 1911 45 acp into a 460 Rowland, a "magnum 45 acp." I'm not suggesting you do this, but they have a list of guns NOT to attempt this conversion in. I suggest this list of guns may be a group to stay away from. Look at the 5th FAQ near the bottom of the page:
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm Good luck.

danielk
03-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Kimber custom II gets the nod from me! Its my daily carry gun as well as what I use in my 3 gun comps. Its treated me well.

KYCaster
03-04-2011, 02:02 AM
I would avoid Colt and Para because of the Series 80 firing pin block...I've seen too many of them fail to trust them. (but that's just my opinion, others report no problems).

Springfield and Kimber are both good choices in the price range you quoted. Another one to consider in that price range is STI's Trojan. Their quality and customer support are outstanding.

I've been impressed with the Charles Daly's I've seen. Seems to be worth the price, though I've never owned one.

Jerry

thegreatdane
03-04-2011, 03:33 AM
If you're looking for opinions, there's no better place than the 1911 market. Haha. I'm also 1911-shopping and the abundance of opinions has discouraged me. It's slowed my progress for sure. That said, I'm closely considering the Kimber Stainless II, Remington R1, and Springfield Range Officer.

Bass Ackward
03-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I would say that your standards are kinda low. The beauty of that is that the market is wide open to ya. I would think that just about anything built today would fit what you have listed in your post. The key phrase is "what you have listed."

I would think more in terms of your emotion and resale when you buy. Pick something up and handle it and see if it speaks to ya. Those are generally the most satisfying buys.

And if it happens that love strikes you when you pick up a Kimber Custom II with the adjustable sights, then everything came together for ya just as it should.

randyrat
03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
If I where to buy a 1911 I would bring someone that knows them up one side and down the other with me.
They would check barrel lock up and all the other things that matter in a a good shooting 1911. Have permission to take it apart to check the chamber and riffling. Frame to slide fit. Hammer fit. I think from my little bit of experience, in order to buy a good 1911 your gonna have to pay a little , unless you can find a good used one that someone custom fit.
But, if your looking for one that will shoot a basket ball at 20 yards or a softball at 7 yards most of them off the shelf will do that. Sometimes you get lucky and find a nice tight one. Your miles may very.
Seems to me, you can find a nice Kimber for about $850. I had a friend that bought a PT1911 that shot real good for less money. Good luck shopping.

truckboss
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
lot of good advice.guns very from on to anther,so check out what ever you decide on.i have had alot of different 1911's and the only one i would not buy is the series 80 colt.i've had the firing pin block jam up so it would not fire.a small piece of **** got stuck in the plunger and would not fire no matter how hard i tried.it can be modified but it's a poor system.the kimber firing block works of the grip safety and looks like a better system,has not jammed yet.i own two kimbers now,they feed flawlessly,the fit and finish is great and the accuracy is scary good for a off the self 1911.

82nd airborne
03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Build it yourself! Its a fun learning experience, it is customized exactly how you want it, with nothing youd dont, and it costs alot less than one made to order. Of factory guns, I would pay a little more for a kimber over a springfield or new colt, a base one doesnt really cost anymore though.

Ronbo256
03-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Charles Daly is out of business, they were built by Armscor (Rock Island Armory) in the PI anyway. I own a frankengun I built from Armscor parts I ordered from Sarco, and replaced what I did not like with decent stuff. If I had it to do again, I would buy a Rock Island Tactical, an ATI FX45 or similar. In your price range, you might want to look for a used series 70 colt. I really wanted a Springfield Mil-spec when I started my project, but everyone in the country was out of stock.

218bee
03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the input...that SAM sounds intriguing..Rock Island any good???...I did see a Kimber for right around my max.....I have thought of doing a build also getting a frame from Brownells and goin at it. But I think I want one to buy and shoot, then maybe do a build.

Ickisrulz
03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Springfield would be my first choice for new.

Used, Colt, but they are pricey now since colt stopped production of them quite some time ago.

????? Colt still makes 1911s.

35remington
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
In the interest of full disclosure on safety systems.

A lot of people don't like firing pin blocks on 1911's. I'm one of them; those of us that believe extra parts not invented by JMB are superfluous are many. However, some of the advice on this thread is incomplete or misleading. Often both.

If the Colt type Series 80 firing pin block gives you pause, or your are advised to avoid guns carrying this type of firing pin block, you must also avoid the Kimber and Smith and Wesson 1911's.

Their Swartz type safety activation has been criticized for not working in a number of instances, especially with improper reassembly. It would be overlooking the very obvious to have someone denigrate the Series 80 block on this thread while giving the Swartz system on the Kimber a free pass by recommending the Kimber without even mentioning the Swartz safety!

That's being very misleading. The Swartz safety on the Kimber and Smith does not have a good reputation with some users opposed to such things, and glossing this over is not helping the original poster. I suggest the original poster do a little "googling" of the Series 80 and Swartz to make a better informed decision free of brand bias. He may also determine from a little reasonable research just how often this has been a problem, and under what circumstances.

Ironically, Colt invented the Swartz safety, and it was rejected upon trials with the US military. Colt did not try to resurrect it years later and developed the Series 80 block instead. In the ironic part of the tale, Kimber picked up the safety system that the military rejected as unsuitable.

If considering a Colt, their Series 70 does not have the firing pin block. Their other models do.

218bee
03-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks 35Rem good info...and besides 218Bee another of my favorite cartridges...my first centerfire rifle was a Marlin 35Rem which I still have...but I digress

Moonie
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I have owned Springfield and Kimbers in the past. Currently I own a Taurus PT1911, it is a great serviceable pistol for the cost.

Rodfac
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm a Colt guy...have owned current and past, Series 70's, originals, and a cpl of Series 80's. If you're considering swapping them off, Colt is the one to pick. Several of mine actually made me money, (if inflation is disregarded!). Those that I traded or sold, I've regretted over the years.

My only non-Colt is a Remington-Rand...a '43 gun in nearly "as issued" condition when I bought it...and ... stock, with its original barrel, it'll stay with all of my expensively gun-smithed Colts. I've got to say that it's my favorite 5" barrel .45 ACP, just 'cause it's a bonafide, no s..t war veteran that shoots a lot better than it looks. (I'd like to think that phrase applies to me as well...for others to decide.)

One other thought on Colts...most any town of any real size has at least one gunsmith that can bring it up to target grade accuracy with no mickey mouse about parts interchangeability.

Good luck in your search...Rod Cpl pics attachd..#1 is the Remington Rand, #2 is a Series 70 Commander that I fitted with 4 different barrels, (.22, .38 Super, 9 mm, and .45 ACP. Rod

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/RemingtonRand45.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/Commander3.jpg

doubs43
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Asking for opinions about the 1911 is like blowing the top off Pandora's Box. With that in mind, here's mine.

I own two at the moment: a 1927 Argentine modified with fixed combat sights and a 9mm ejector with the corresponding cut in the slide for proper operation. With a Series 80 Colt slide and the various parts, it'll shoot six different calibers from 7.62x25 up to .45 ACP. It's my home protection pistol and that says something about it's reliability.

My second 1911 is a Springfield Armory G.I. model. It too is reliable and both pistols will easily half your 25 yard requirement for accuracy.

I have also owned a Rock Island Arsenal Tactical model and a High Standard model made by RIA.... a basic GI type. BOTH were reliable and accurate. One eventually went to my son and the other was traded when something I wanted was offered. BUT, I'd buy another RIA 1911 in a heartbeat They are great value for the money.

Only you can decide and if you can afford one, the Colt is worth the price and so is the Springfield Armory but the RIA 1911's are also worthy of consideration if money is an issue.

Below is a picture of my 1927 Argentine.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/doubs43/1927%20Argentine%20Colt/1927Argentine.jpg

smokemjoe
03-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a all colt made in 1943, Its unreal how it shoots, Have shot jacks at 50 yds. with it,
I got a 45 auto. new from Spr. in Ill. not to far from here, Out of the box it shot a groups of 15 in. at 20 yards, I took it myself with targets back to the company, They said it really dosent shoot. I got it back with there test target and with jacketed bullets in a machince rest its a 1 1/2 group at 25 yds. They put in a new SS barrel, bushing and link.
With cast bullets its okey, I had new sights and a trigger job done,
Then I had a custom made 9 MM made up on a essex fram, a colt mk1v series 70 slide
and all the rest, jacketed , very good shooter, cast okey and thats all I use in it,
The best shooter was a Star- 9 MM that I paid $250.00 for.
I am now looking for a 9MM on the 1911 frame, The kimbers I know would be nice in a 5 in.
but want to stay under 800, any ideas alos. Thanks

358wcf
03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Decided to buy quality at the git-go, not having time to spend on building my own.
First bought a Kimber Eclipse Target II- a superb target quality firearm, accurate, always feeds, a great gun in every way. Expensive, but certainly worth every penny.
Second bought an Ed Brown Executive Target. Cost more than the Kimber, but does everything the Kimber does, just a little bit better, if possible. Certainly a keeper.

Now, having said that, I have two fabulous target pistols for bullseye work. These will go to the grandkids some day. Keepers!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Phat Man Mike
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
what about a Volkmann ?
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=5

have you checked them out?

NSP64
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I bought a parkerized RIA Tactical new for $550.00. It has skelitonized hammer and trigger, beavertail safety with memory hump, ambi thumb safety, full length guide rod, dovetailed front and rear Novak style sights. I added a 20# spring with buffer and extended slide release. Its all I need.
Last time out at the range I hit a clay pigeon at 100 yrds on the first shot using WW white box 100 rd pack FMJ ammo (using it up for brass)
It will keep 8 rds on B27 target @100 yrds.
Burned up 150 rds factory and 50 rds lead reloads. Not 1 FTF , jam or stovepipe.(4 different shooters)
Reloads were Lyman devastators and Mi-Hec hollow points(203gr) over 6gr unique.
No series 80 safety.

Lonerider
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I also know you said no Taurus.....but....I have an all STEEL PT 1911. Though I have only put about 500 arounds so far, she as caused me no problems. I feel I got an acceptional firearm for a decent price. If you do not want a 1911 not made in the US, you will be limiting yourself, severely. But, if you have $1000's of dollars to spend and price is no problem then....

My Pt 1911, shoots very well, is tight and I have not had any touble with her. Just my 2 cents.

Lonerider

mtgrs737
03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
I have owned Colts and Springfields and I can say that my like new Taurus PT1911 has impressed me! Ruling out that gun is a huge mistake IMHO, mine runs great and is accurate. It also has all the upgrades except the extended slide release which my short thumbs require for ease of operation. I am impressed with this 1911 and that is not something that is easy to do. I may of just got a "Good One" but I would not overlook the PT1911.

NHlever
03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I had an H&R for a while which I think is the same as an RIA. I had the 3 1/2" compact, and it shot, and functioned very well. I'm kind of sorry that I sold it now because it shot better groups than I've gotten with my new S&W 1911 4" gun..... so far anyway. Doing it again I would just skip the scaled down 1911's, and get a full sized one. I have a compact 9mm, and that is the only small gun I really need. I have been trying to get a look at the new Springfield Range Officer, but no luck yet. The Remington's that I've looked at look pretty good to me, but I certainly am no auto pistol expert.......... way far from it.

krag35
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
My Son recently bought a Colt1911A1 compact (second hand so I don't know how new it is) the guy he bought it from bropped it off here, and I dnag near sent my Boy my P220 and kept the colt :-) the first mag I ran through it I went 5 for 6 on pine cones (size of a tennis ball)at 40 feet. I'm keeping my eyes open for one for myself now.