PDA

View Full Version : Ammomaster RCBS bench and location

CWO4GUNNER
03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Being a widower I m tempted to bolt down my new RCBS press where I would really like it, on the oak coffee table in front of the TV and sit on the sofa, or the dinning room table near the kitchen where I can get refreshments. I cant see wasting time building a bench when I have these choices. I have a Stanly Vidmare cabinet in the garage I could bolt to but I hate being away from the AC in summer.

QUESTION. In your experience and opinion is it easy to unbolt the RCBS press for storage after reloading if I have company, or is it more of a left-in-place tool once installed?

I was also considering using a folding portable metal shooting bench I haven't use in years becasue I go to the range. Since the bench has an incorporated chair as part of the bench, I was thinking there would be no issue with the press lifting or moving the bench since Im sitting on it, all leverage would stay put, here is a photo of it, what do you think would it work?
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_230648_999_01?rgn=0,0,1410,2000&scl=5.2631578947368425&fmt=jpeg&id=3nPhHvAHSrtrruw30sHW8E

BruceB
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
[Q
QUESTION. In your experience and opinion is it easy to unbolt the RCBS press for storage after reloading if I have company, or is it more of a left-in-place tool once installed?

ANSWER: It's lot easier than replacing the fingers and eyes (and LIVES) you might lose by distracting yourself with the idiot box while handloading.
a
Not only are you using highly-volatile ingredients and material, but in your case you are working with HUGE amounts of those ingredients in loading the .50 BMG. The power contained in the things you use is almost unimaginable when it breaks loose, out of control.

You NEED a place that is free of distraction of any kind.... NO kids, critters, wives or "electronic entertainment".

Generations of handloaders have learned this hard truth, many at extreme cost, and it is NOT to be taken lightly.

CWO4GUNNER
03-03-2011, 11:15 PM
"It's lot easier than replacing the fingers and eyes (and LIVES) you might lose by distracting yourself with the idiot box while handloading.Generations of handloaders have learned this hard truth, many at extreme cost, and it is NOT to be taken lightly." Great...now I have to break out the body armor and full-face bike helmet just to reload, so much for the fun Iv heard about, Reloading cant be that gloom and doom. Isn't seating the primers before the powder the most volatile part of reloading, it not like I smoke? I remember once a primer on a 308 accidentally fired on a live loose round and the projectile just popped out and powder burned slow as molasses. In fact we use to pour lines of 5" projectile powder on the ground and it would burn way slower then black powder, no confinement no explosion. Im not tying to be facetious, I just find your comments a little over the top and with bulk amounts in a different location loading 1 round at a time I cant see a little radio or TV across the room ending my life with a good face shield.

Does anyone else have a perspective on radio (at least) while reloading? I remember at the district armory where multiple progressive re-loaders were operated for competition shooting with all sorts of distractions going on (phone, TV, radio, talk and laughter) and I never heard of one indecent ever. The only incidents we had were deliberate and accidental shooting incidents.

Anyway OK Ill be careful. So do you think the portable bench, heavy oak coffee table, or solid hardwood dining table would be best. remember I live alone with 2 cats and 9 aquariums so I think a little latitude is in order.

OK I just looked at the loading bench sticky and without even getting past the 2nd page Iv seen loading presses with TV, fans, furnaces, radios and most importantly florescent lighting which put out more EMF then almost any appliance. Besides all that some of those benches are much lighter then my coffee or dining room table so I think Im going with the dining table next to the back sliding glass door where I will have a charged hose outside. Ill definitely wear the full face shield and maybe some leather gloves or at least one since I'm ambidextrous Ill have 1 good hand left if something blows. Ok I guess this question is answered, Ill post photos of the table when I'm done mounting and post the next problem I need help with later. Thanks

Wayne Smith
03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
If you have nice furniture I'd hesitate to bolt it. I have loaded for years (until this year) with my RCBS Jr3 clamped to a breakfast bar with newspaper under it. You could put some fabric under a piece of plywood, bolt the press to the ply with the bolt heads recessed, and clamp that to the table, fabric side down, and not worry about damaging your furniture. Conversely you could clamp it direct to the table with fabric or paper under it.

If it were me, given my experience, I would cut a piece of 3/4" ply that reaches across the table, drill for the bolts, place the bolts, cover with fabric, and clamp to both sides of the table. Then mount your loader. This will give you a solid base that is unlikely to give.

Tom R
03-04-2011, 01:58 PM
you can get some brass inserts to thread into your table and then you can unbolt it easily. They are available at any hardware store for about 3 dollars each.

beanflip
03-04-2011, 02:05 PM
+1 on what comment that BruceB said in post #2

In reloading ------> SAFTY FIRST ALWAYS !!!!!!!!

Just my 2¢ worth

CWO4GUNNER
03-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I live alone with the kids and wife gone I don't even need a 6 chair table anymore and was considering cutting it down anyway with my skill-saw to make it a 4 chair table. Its all hardwood and steam bent but no one in this economy is going to pay more the $100 for it so what the point, besides I bought it used at the DUMP in VA for $400 13 years ago. Actually you just sparked me a great idea! I could bolt the press to the center leaf which has been sitting in the closet forever, that way if it doesn't work out I haven't hurt the table as a whole. As far as a table cloth because its hardwood whats a few caracter scratches a little sanding, stain and poly-coat cant take care of it if becomes really hideous after 10 years. Its either that or sell the table for $100 and build a workbench/bar/dinning table for about $100 plus stools another $100. Thanks your post gave me an idea...

I have carpeting but read that a shop-vac with a little water in the canister will prevent any ignitions, so Ill invest in one as I can use it to suck up old polishing media and wet-vac stains out of that carpet.

OK I'm getting there, Ill soon have a brake-downable reloading station next to the back door, across from the kitchen, and ear & eye shot from the radio/TV. Now I just need a rolling supply cart so I can move all items back and forth from locked storage, perhaps one of those hand cart dollies with a cabinet attached.

I have read the safety concerns many times. As a Gunner we were not even allowed to carry spark producing item keys, knives, exec. Even lighting had to have electrostatic and spark proof globes. But we are talking real world here carpet, limited space, exec, so work arounds have to be seriously addressed not exchanged for "NO-reloading allowed". Besides I did an extensive internet search and the only related injuries I could find were at the range firing the 50 BMG where there was speculation that hand loads my have plaid a contributing factor, but nowhere did I find anything directly related directly to 50 BMG loading mishaps at the bench. So given reasonable work-around precautions I think I can make it all work safely, and still have a slice of cake albeit with a plastic fork..

gray wolf
03-05-2011, 10:22 PM
OK I would be the last person to ever advocate unsafe reloading

But after reading your post --- and then reading into your post.

here is my answer.

It sounds like what I am hearing you say is that you would finally like to do what you have wanted to do for a long time. You know what ? go for it.
Bolt the dam press to the table and then drive a few nails in it to make sure it don't move. Perhaps carve your name in it with your pen knife.
As for the coffee table, I would mount the tools to a good sturdy piece of wood.
Then C clamp the tool to the coffee table, that way you could take it off, put it down on the floor, and have room for a case of beer and your feet.
As for the people that may come over to your house, hey it's your house.
Are they there to see you ? or to judge how you live.
Set it up so you can step back--look at it----
and say " you know what " I like it. I'M happy.
That don't mean to be inconsiderate of others, It just asks others to be a little considerate of you.
You will be what you are, if you are neat it will look neat.
If you have the space, only take out what you need to do the task at hand.
Your safety is your responsibility, and so is the safety of others.
I think as men we all give up some things while we raise are families and provide for the happiness of our loved ones.
What the heck is a few holes in a coffee table or an old dining room table.
It's what they make wood filler for -- ain't it?
I hope you all can understand what I am saying here.

Sam

CWO4GUNNER
03-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah its weird, the kids grew up moved away and have successful lives and its been 7 months since my wife passed and I still catch myself thinking I have to ask permission before I make any changes. Ill take photos but I have decided to cut the dining table down with the skill saw to an oval 4 seater table instead of 8 seater saving about 4 feet. Then with the extra space build a catarcorner multilevel bench/cabinet using the wall studs as vertical supports. Sort of like shelving with lockable doors only deeper. Because the bench will be built into the corner of 2 adjoining right-angle walls with lag bolts, 3 inch finisher nails, and oak 3/4 inch plywood, there should be no concern for strength and applied leverage. Other top and bottom shelves will contain components and with 1 large or 2 split oak plywood doors on piano hinges will enclose the whole shooting match. The press will be countersunk mounted into the main bench so that doors will close flush. I might even place an antique looking clock face into the door to deflect what is behined the cherry stained doors.

gray wolf
03-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan, check everything over and make sure all you measurements are OK, don't box yourself in and Keep it livable while your working.
I would like to stay up to date with your progress, keep us informed.

Sam

LabGuy
03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I have my press bolted to a piece of 2x6. I then use two C clamps to hold it in place where I want to reload. Sometimes I use it on my work bench in my non air conditioned garage. Sometimes I use the bar like portion of my kitchen. Sometimes it put away in my reloading cabinet. I’ve got my sizers set up the same way.

MtGun44
03-06-2011, 11:34 PM
A reloading bench is a lead contaminated area. You should not set up to reload in
a place where food or drink will be consumed, or prepared.

Bill

gray wolf
03-07-2011, 09:23 AM
A reloading bench is a lead contaminated area. You should not set up to reload in
a place where food or drink will be consumed, or prepared.

Bill

That's a hard statement to dispute. and something for everyone to think about.

troyboy
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
You could get the rock dock or lee's quick change press mount system and remove the press whenever with little effort.

LabGuy
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, I agree food prep and consumption area and reloading don’t mix. I guess I should have just said I can then mount it wherever. We do not prep or eat on the counter in question, most of the time it just holds stuff.

And now for the rest of the story. I use a single stage press. I always remove primers in the garage. Then my brass is cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner with citric acid, rinsed and dried overnight, in the garage. Next it’s tumbled, in the garage. If I do venture inside I cover the reloading area with paper before I clamp on my press. I do not play inside while food prep or consumption is occurring.

And finial when I’m done, I throw away the paper, clean the inside reloading area with a damp paper towel and Dawn. And a final wipe down with vinegar and a paper towel, which I throwaway. I have not performed a wipe test for lead on the area after decontamination, maybe I will next time.

I’ve also been known to wear latex or nitrile glove on my boolet handling hand while l lube–size and reload.

CWO4GUNNER
03-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Been busy getting some things done before summer kicks in (painting trim on the house, de-winterizing motorcycles) with 125F temps. Transitioning from one long time hobby (dirt biking/ATV) to the more older 53yr body friendly hobby of bench rest shooting, reloading .50/.338, and casting .72. I'm getting my CRF450X and LTZ400 ready to sell as 40 years in enough and the thrill of riding is gone.

To topic I Im excited about the idea of a catacorner enclosed loading bench and enclosed lockable storage unit which is technically in the dining area but since I will only be reloading manufactured jacketed bullets I don't see allot in the way of lead contamination. However having heard the horror stories from my Navy and CG buddies were melting bullets gathered out of the range pit inside the base armory which would gave them head aches and temporary memory loss, Im glad I did not participate. If I do any lead melting or casting it will be done outside using a stand alone gas burner tapped into the outside natural gas line. Since we have practically no flying insects here in SW AZ I don't anticipate any problems. The only thing I will be casting is a verity of .69, .710, .715, .50 black powder round and mini balls. I would be too terrified to shoot an all lead .50 BMG cast bullet out of a 45" M2 barrel traveling 2800 FPS, not to mention the barrel cleaning chore, .338 and 30/30 on the other-hand I might get into casting for if I get good at BP casting.

Hasen't someone developed a way to copper electroplate lead cast bullets at home in a small bath unit. I would think even a very thin plating of copper would make a world of difference with respect to lead fowling. Tomorrow I skill-saw the dining room table down from 8 chairs to 4 LOL!

Dan Cash
03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
[B][IIm not tying to be facetious, I just find your comments a little over the top......

Bruce has it right. The hazzard is not so much with the act of reloading but with the use of your slip shod product which results from distracted reloading. What you say about unconfined propellants, etc. and they are reasonably safe. However, misreading a propellant charge table, misadjustment of a measure or scale, seating a bullet too deep, having foreign matter in a cartridge case and adding a charge of propellant to it are all hazzardous as heck when you shoot the ammo. Buy AC for the garage, add soothing, soft music if you can't stand your own silent self and do your reloading where you can concentrate on the task at hand.

CWO4GUNNER
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Well if its any consolation tomorrow Ill be canceling my dish service. As a conservative I don't see anything on TV that is objective anymore, even the History and Discovery channels are more about ghost , goblins, aliens, and big-foot. 90% of the time Im listening to conservative radio anyway. But believe me I know what you mean about safe handling. I was in the Navy when deck guns were still hand loaded and although separate projectile and powder cases had to be handled gingerly while onloading from shore-side magazines, during live engagements and live fire exercises projectiles and powder cases weighing 65 and 90 pounds were lifted chest high and deliberately slammed onto an open steel breach with closed fists, so that when the loader slammed the hydraulic ram shut fingers were not lost, this every 5 seconds and when a trio of 3 massive 200 Lbs beach blocks raised slamming shut to fire a 3 gun salvo, the turret would shake the entire ship while lights flickered on and off momentarily as the sonic concussion rattled your brain. Or firing an open mount 20mm anti aircraft gun at 800 RPM hoping that the timing marks and you lock wired did not brake causing an out of battery explosion, or fusing TNT block explosives with detonators, or diving 60 feet in the middle of the Bering Sea at night to plug a leaking propeller shaft seal on a sinking fishing vessel, exc, exc, exc. So I know a little something about focusing on the task at hand when it comes to risky activities while there are more distractions then one would think possible. I promise you I will be careful and ask for or look-up help and advice at every crossroad until I learn the ropes of reloading BMG.

Wayne Smith
03-08-2011, 10:59 AM
If you are gonna be swaging 50BMG bullets make sure you build a very solid bench!!

flashhole
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I liked the idea of using the leaf if it is strong enough. Short of that I would buy a 6"x12" 3/8" - 1/2" piece of aluminum, put felt on the bottom of the plate, bolt the press to the metal plate, and attach the assembly to whatever table I wanted to work on.

noylj
03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Gah...
What a bunch of old ladies.
If I had a decent sized table that I could comfortably sit under and it wasn't an antique worth more than $1000, I would drill those holes so quick.
I would, however, put it in another room if I had company over very often.
I knew one guy who, after his wife left, moved his lathe and stuff into the front room. He was one of the those neat-freaks, and it almost looked like a work of art.
I would not load with the TV on, but I always load with background music.
I just bought a table today so I can mount 3 Dillon 1050s on it in my man cave.
I keep all the messy operations (gun cleaning, case sorting and cleaning) in the garage and all reloading operations in the house.

jhrosier
03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I knew one guy who, after his wife left, moved his lathe and stuff into the front room. ....

I knew a fellow who did that right before his wife left.;)

He was a benchrest shooter and liked to work on projects as soon as an idea occurred to him. I've always thought that benchrest shooters are not like the rest of us anyhow.

Jack

GrumpyFinn
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Just drill 3/8 holes, use carriage bolts and wingnuts under the table, easy on easy off.