PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a M1! few questions about it

RU shooter
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Well I always wanted one and a deal finally came along so now its mine. Its an HRA wearing a new Criterion barrel and new wood ,No its not all original now but I wanted a nice looking shooter so its a good fit for my needs. the rest is typ. mix O parts, Win. bolt and Trigger assembly ,SA op rod . My questions are about the bolt and the elevation knob, I did some looking on the CMP forum for pics of other M1's and didnt really find any answers , The bolt , has it been reparked or refinished or ? I didnt see any picks of a Win. bolt that looked that black and that rough of a park. finish ,It almost looks like minor pits in a pic but its actually the finish the number stamping are still nice and crisp , Secondly is there something missing from the side of my elevation knob? or is that the way it is.The knob is marked WCE and the windage is DRC. I got to shoot the first cast bullets through it yesterday , 31.5 gr of 4895 and a small wad of dacron under a 311467 and a Lee185 both shoot very well and functioned 95% of the time. One last thing is it normal to have some gas leakage from the rear of the gas cyl.? Getting some soot on the op rod and HG slot.

Thanks ,Tim

Jack Stanley
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
The picture of the sight drum is a bit out of focus but it looks like all of the sight drum is there .

Black is a typical color for manganese parkerizing .

Jack

George369
03-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Gas leakage from the rear of the gas cylinder is perfectly normal in the m-1 rifle,it was designed that way when the operating rod reaches it's mosty rearward point the gas is vented out the rear of the gas cylinder.

sqlbullet
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Sights look just like the ones on both my Garands. You may be thinking of lockbar sights, but those are not the most common, used only in the first few years of production.

That bolt does look terrible. Looks like it had some really bad surface rust at some point, and then was maybe parked over. As long as it headspaces right and functions, it should be fine.

As has been mentioned, the gas cylinder is designed to vent gas to the rear at the very back of it's travel. Very normal to see some deposits on the op-rod.

Got-R-Did
03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
PM'd you about the buttplate you requested, might also have the correct HRA bolt for your rifle as well if yours really bothers you. You will need to headspace it to your rifle of course.
Got-R-Did.