PDA

View Full Version : Lee .44 Caliber C430-310-RF bullet without a gas check??

Southern Shooter
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Lee .44 Caliber C430-310-RF bullet mold

Questions:

1) Can this bullet be fired without a gas check of any type on it? If so, to what velocity could it be fired at?

2) Are there other types of gas checks besides metalic ones that can be used?

3) Are there any "homemade" check designs out there?

Thanks

454PB
03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
1) yes. Results will vary with each user/gun.

2) yes, but someone else will have to give you first hand experience, I use traditional gas checks.

3) yes, Pat Marlin of this forum sells a set of tools to make your own gas checks.

SP101GUY
03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
1) Yes, I shoot it at about 900 fps.

2) Yes, but never used them.

3) Yes, I have a Freechex gas check maker and use aluminum or copper flashing.

AJ

HammerMTB
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
1) Yes, I shoot it at about 900 fps.

AJ

So, my question for you is, how accurate do those shoot @ 900FPS?
They are widely reported not to be stable at that velocity from the usual .44 twist rates. I shoot 'em at 1350FPS and they are great, but they have a lot of buck to them at that kind of loading.

44man
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
SP101,
What is your definition of accuracy? It must please you first of all.
If 1" to 2" at 25 is OK, go for it.
I don't like over 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards so I will keep the spin on my Lee with enough velocity.
You would do better with a lighter boolit at slower speeds.

Thumbcocker
03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Did ok for me with 20.0 of H110 but hit very high in a short .44. Would not leave the loaded rounds laying around a long time to prevent contamination.

dnepr
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I have shot the lee's without gaschecks in my .444 , but even with light loads ( 10 grains of greendot ) they were more accurate with gaschecks

GP100man
03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
They do ok with low pressure loads .

Bret4207
03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
There's a great big whole section down the page labeled "GAS CHECKS" with numerous posts regarding this same question. Look there.

44man
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I usually avoid word gaming with you.
Maybe I should this time too, but against my better judgment:
I asked a question of a poster above. You tried to answer my question with a question......? What's that about?
Are you trying to say you drive the 310's at velocitys well above 1350?
Or is this just a one-upmanship question?
How much accuracy do I like?
How about sub inch at 100?
How about sub 3" at 600?
You didn't specify what we were shooting.....
How might you know what "I" would do better with?
Not word gaming at all. What do you want and expect from your gun? How does the boolit match twist? What velocity is best for the boolit length in the twist? The Lee 310 does best around 1320 FPS.
A lot of Questions to be sure but you fail to answer what you want.
I can only tell you where the boolit does best and it is a great and very accurate boolit but if you think you can load it way down, you must have low expectations and are happy with large, close range groups.
Each boolit weight and length needs a certain velocity for the twist.
Yes, we shoot under 1" at 100 and my best group at 500 was 2-1/2". Whitworth, Bioman and I do it all the time.
I can give an example. I made a mold for Whitworth's new BFR .500 JRH, worked some loads and he shot at this can at 100 yards.
I took the next shot.
Is this what you want? Revolver accuracy is not a pipe dream.
But you never answered the question of what you want from your gun.

SP101GUY
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
So, my question for you is, how accurate do those shoot @ 900FPS?
They are widely reported not to be stable at that velocity from the usual .44 twist rates. I shoot 'em at 1350FPS and they are great, but they have a lot of buck to them at that kind of loading.

They shoot well enough for me at this point. About an inch and a quarter at 25 yards. All I have is Red Dot right now, so I can't load them too hot.

AJ

44man
03-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm going to go slow, so you may comprehend.
Look up in the thread. I asked a question of another in the thread, how his 310's shot at low velocity.
My statment was that I had success at higher velocitys, and that this boolit was reported not to work well at low velocities.
I don't need to answer you what I want.
I asked a question of another. If you get the thread and facts straight, you can easily see that you are talking down to me, as you often do to many, which is exactly why I shouldn't even reply to your posts in the first place.
If you have something to offer, it gets lost in all your patting yourself on the back.
Thanks for nothing.
I never talk down to anyone! I give you facts from years of testing and I am only telling you the long heavy boolits do not like to be shot under what the twist rate will allow.
The point I make is I do not know your expectations.
Those others that state the boolit does not like slow velocities are correct, yet you question their knowledge too.
I will tell you every single thing I have learned to try to help as will everyone else here---CAN I HELP?
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, you don't and will never upset me. Would you like to get under 1" at 50 yards with that great boolit? Or do you think I am blowing smoke?
The boolit was designed by real smart fellas right here on this site and they did good. It is one of my best shooters.
Another is the RD 265 gr. How would you like to shoot 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards with this super boolit?
It is up to you! Some boolits do not work where they can't work.

45-70 Chevroner
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I hope you guys haven't scared Southern Shooter off. "simple answers"! and bickering won't get it.

Southern Shooter! A little more info will help. What type of gun are you shooting this boolit in. Pistol or rifle? Twist rate would help also. If you don't know the twist rate what company made the firearm. Longer boolits require faster twists and shorter bullets like slower twists.

I baught an NEI 310 gr. 44 mold 25 years ago, it didn't take long to find out that I did not like it. I tried it in my Super Blackhawk and my Super 14 TC. There wasn't a lot of info that I could find at that time for the heavy weights in 44 so I gave up. The loads I did try kicked pretty good. These guys up above have given good answers but just ignore the bickering. Oh and by the way I do shoot a 215 gr. Lyman GC design without the GC up to about 900 FPS and it shoots pretty good. It will shoot 2" groups at 50 yards and thats not to bad for me.

I'll probably get "QUOTED" and slammed for sticking my nose where it does not belong also and that is ok, I've been put in my place before and right here on this forum.

izzyjoe
03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
i shoot the 310's at what i call low speeds, don't have a crony. but i load them over 5.5gr. of unique in mag cases, and they shoot well at 50yd. but upon inspection of the target they seem to be wooblin' a bit. so they need to go a little faster. but it work's me. and i shoot a marlin .44. but i will say they like a gc, and to be driven fast. about 1700 fast. but then it's no fun to shoot.

Southern Shooter
03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
:-)
I should have at least put the guns that would be in use. Sorry.

My two sons each have Ruger Blackhawk Flat-top .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary with the 6 1/2" barrels. I can't remember the twist rate, though.

Hope this helps.

And, thanks for the input.

44man
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
:-)
I should have at least put the guns that would be in use. Sorry.

My two sons each have Ruger Blackhawk Flat-top .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary with the 6 1/2" barrels. I can't remember the twist rate, though.

Hope this helps.

And, thanks for the input.
The boolit is wonderful but can not be shot slow with accuracy. Your revolvers are great with 1 in 20" twist rates and anything from 240 to 330 gr will work fine. You really need to work loads with each boolit but the Lee 310 needs to spin up and is not best for light loads. It is, after all, a hunting boolit. Use lighter boolits for lighter loads.

Southern Shooter
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Thank you folks. It sounds best to use the bullet for what and at the velocity it was designed. If I want a bullet that will move slower I will go for a mold in the 240-260 grain range.

Thanks

TCLouis
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
was the "co-designer" of theis boolit. Does any one remember who or are they still on line.

44man
03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I hope you guys haven't scared Southern Shooter off. "simple answers"! and bickering won't get it.

Southern Shooter! A little more info will help. What type of gun are you shooting this boolit in. Pistol or rifle? Twist rate would help also. If you don't know the twist rate what company made the firearm. Longer boolits require faster twists and shorter bullets like slower twists.

I baught an NEI 310 gr. 44 mold 25 years ago, it didn't take long to find out that I did not like it. I tried it in my Super Blackhawk and my Super 14 TC. There wasn't a lot of info that I could find at that time for the heavy weights in 44 so I gave up. The loads I did try kicked pretty good. These guys up above have given good answers but just ignore the bickering. Oh and by the way I do shoot a 215 gr. Lyman GC design without the GC up to about 900 FPS and it shoots pretty good. It will shoot 2" groups at 50 yards and thats not to bad for me.

I'll probably get "QUOTED" and slammed for sticking my nose where it does not belong also and that is ok, I've been put in my place before and right here on this forum.
My friend, I get slammed all the time and bickering does not belong here at all. The very last thing I want to do is argue so if you stick your nose in you are more then welcome. [smilie=s:.
I want to help and help only. That does not require anyone to follow me. If anyone sticks their nose into things, it is ME. :bigsmyl2:
But I work hard with revolvers and know them well so I try to pass on my results. My groups are true and distances are true. Some accuse me of bragging or some such but if you really knew me, I would do everything for you. Many here are like me and will give you the best they know. I do not have secrets, not a single person here has secrets.
Felix, Bass, Bret and a whole lot of others tell things as they see them. I try too!

bowfishn
03-05-2011, 04:04 PM
About the Lee .44 Caliber C430-310-RF bullet mold ?
Ok from reading all of the posts, it seems that some of you have had some experience with this mold. I have been looking at this mold and thinking about getting it, if I decide to get back into casting. Has any one used it for taking game? do you think they will handle speeds of over 1600 fps with the proper hardness and gas check? This is what I get with the Oregon Trails true shot 44 Cal. 310g WNFP GC .430 using the .44 Magnum +P Handloading Data 23 grains of H110 in my Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" barrel the bullet design is similar but it does have differences.

sisiphunter
03-05-2011, 06:52 PM
My experience with this mold was very good.. I am using a Marlin 1895 rifle, with microgroove...no GC, but Paper patched and get 1 ragged hole from shooting sticks at 50yds. I am happy with this boolit so far, but have yet to use it on any critters. Shot thru the trunk of an old 80's Chrysler side to side, clean hole both ways, so i know it is staying together at least :) Never shot from a revolver, harder to get our hands on those beauties up here in the north. dont remember the load I use on this one, I know using H110 and probably about 1400-1500fps, I'd have to look it up in my notes tho.

1Shirt
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Just my 2cents here. I am not much of a handgun shooter, but do enjoy my revolvers in 357 and 44. Have come to believe that if I want to know something about revolver shooting/blt selection/loads, I will ask 44Man or LLoyd S. Think collectivly on this subject that they are the guys with the most experiance, and the most number of rounds down the tube.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

45-70 Chevroner
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Thank you 44man. Up front is the best way to go.

44man
03-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Seems as if I caused some confusion here with my first answer and I am sorry for that.
I was supposed to answer SP101 but somehow got Hammer's response there. Sorry Hammer, you were correct with your answer.
My responses were aimed at the 900 fps velocity.
I will go back and edit that part out.
Again, I apologize.

HammerMTB
03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Seems as if I caused some confusion here with my first answer and I am sorry for that.
I was supposed to answer SP101 but somehow got Hammer's response there. Sorry Hammer, you were correct with your answer.
My responses were aimed at the 900 fps velocity.
I will go back and edit that part out.
Again, I apologize.

Thanks, 44 man. I appreciate you owning the error, and it's all one could ask to hear it from you.
I will need to go back and mend some response(S) too.
I hope I can offer an electronic handshake and start fresh. :drinks:

44man
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks, 44 man. I appreciate you owning the error, and it's all one could ask to hear it from you.
I will need to go back and mend some response(S) too.
I hope I can offer an electronic handshake and start fresh. :drinks:
Thank you, better to be friends. My fault 100%.

white eagle
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
thats the way fellas