PDA

View Full Version : NEI's 732 835 #399

Naphtali
03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I am having muzzleloading big bore rifles built and discovered NEI's 732 835 #399 bullet during a mold search. While the bullet appears to be intended for older cartridge rifles, and perhaps Paradox guns, its dimensions fit my barrels. Whether overall length would stabilize remains open.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

Would the shape of base band, lube groove, or front band have any obvious liability for loading from the muzzle? If YES, please describe.
To preclude replies about "need," or "recoil," or "correctness," et al. - I'm aware of what you yearn to mention. I anticipate shooting loads with this class of bullet seldom. Probably if such bullets were available over-the-counter, I would take this route rather than buying a mold.

longbow
03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
No personal experience muzzleloading bullets this big but I have to ask if you plan on a groove diameter boolit or something more like a Maxi ball with bore size base band and groove size nose band.

Having just tried some 0.003" over bore size PP bullets in my .50 cal muzzleloader I can tell you they were very hard to load!

I was wanting to try Idahoron's method for PP'ing muzzleloader Boolits. I had tried starting them and they seemed to fit the muzzle well as the paper compresses a bit but they got real hard to get down the barrel real fast! I had to use a rod and a mallet to seat them.

I reduced diameter to give bore size with just a bit of drag and still had trouble after a few shots. This should work but is likely a wipe after each shot exercise.

I shudder to think how much effort it would take to seat a .72 cal bullet that is stuck halfway!

A Maxi style might be more forgiving for loading especially since it would be well lubed.

Another thought is Accurate Molds:

http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=4

The #72-780M and #73-770S might work for you. The #72-780M is designed for muzzleloader as well and has reduced base band.

I just got a mould from Tom in .44 and it is a terrific mould. Service was excellent and he will modify the listed designs to suit youur needs and wants or make moulds of your design.

I am sure Tom would make you the Paradox twin in Maxi style with reduced base band if you wanted it.

Just my thoughts.

Longbow

Naphtali
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
LB:

Many thanks for the insight, and for the link to a big bullet mold maker.

longbow
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Naphtali:

I can't speak on the quality of NEI mould personally but I certainly can for Accurate Molds. I had read several glowing reports of Tom's good service and excellent quality moulds so took a look for a mould design for a friend at the Accurate site.

I found a design for him and one I was interested in but wrong caliber. I asked Tom about scaling that one down for my .44 ~ not a problem.

We both bought moulds from Accurate and they are both excellent moulds and cast right on spec. Also, both were made within a few days of Tom receiving payment. Very quick service.

Longbow