PDA

View Full Version : shiloh sharps quigley

craveman85
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
i have been looking at shiloh's quigley model a lot lately. ive wanted one of these guns ever since i saw the movie when i was about 8 years old and i was thinking of putting a deposit on one but im a bit skeptical about the price. seems like compared to most of their other rifles you are paying for the name "quigley". it looks like theres not much of a difference besides the patchbox. any suggestions. anyone know their current wait period?

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
If you look close at the Quigley discription , there's more there than just the patchbox. You get the gold engraving on the action, and sights. The engraving they do is some of the finest ever seen.
The wait is about 18 months on a standard rifle, not sure how much the engraving would add to that.
Best bet is to just call up there and talk to them. They don't bite..

Did see a Shiloh Quigley on gunbroker the other day, if you could adapt to the sellers initials etc you could have one next week.[smilie=w:

DanWalker
03-03-2011, 10:32 AM
My friend has one in 45/110. It's art, done in wood and steel. He waited 2 years for it to be built.

craveman85
03-03-2011, 10:55 AM
would be nice if they had some larger pictures to view it better. i emailed them asking for some picture samples of the different antique finishes and the standard case color to help in my decision. of course it would be fancy wood all the way.

craveman85
03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
too bad they cant change the length of pull on that rifle. they wont make a longer one with the military buttstock. i guess ill just have to shrink a little. well then again if it fit tom selleck it should fit me too.

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
If you click on the custom featurs tab you'll get pictures of all their different finishes etc.
But click on the customize this now thing over the Quigley rifle , and there's not a whole lot of extra's they'll put on that rifle..

Gunlaker
03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
would be nice if they had some larger pictures to view it better. i emailed them asking for some picture samples of the different antique finishes and the standard case color to help in my decision. of course it would be fancy wood all the way.

If you post a request for pictures on the Shiloh forum I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who will post some nice big pictures.

I've got a #3 sporter in .45-110 with a 30" bull barrel that is supposed to arrive next week. It has semi fancy wood and a pewter forarm cap. I'll post pictures once I get it.

Chris.

JesterGrin_1
03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I had a Quigley. So I have to ask what you intend to use the rifle for?

If you are going to use it for BPCR matches I feel that you should pass on that design and get one with the Shotgun Style stock. As that metal Butt Plate will beat you to death.

Yes I know they are very nice looking.:).

montana_charlie
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
For pictures of metal finishes (and other things) go to the website. Mouse over 'Rifle Add-ons' and click on 'Custom Features'.

As for wood...semi-fancy is the best grade offered on a Quigley.
You can get fancy finishes, but the Quigley is supposed to be a rifle carried by a common man...not some Bavarian prince.

I, too, started out wanting a Quigley. But, think about how you plan to use it.
With that heavy barrel, you probably aren't going to shoot it offhand very much.
If you shoot from a bench, a straight stock works better.
If you think the patchbox gives it 'flair', you can have one on any model.

But, if you plan to carry it for days and days...across deserts and rolling hills...while a decent-looking woman trails along with you...and then shoot at targets on the far side of the neighboring county...a 'real' Quigley is the perfect rifle.

(And, yes, I would love to have one...but I have no use for it.)
CM

JesterGrin_1
03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Montana Charlie I guess I am odd lol. When I shot BPCR I did best on the 200 meter Chickens off hand lol. It was a very steady rifle for me.

But as said I sold it since that metal butt plate destroyed my shoulder lol. A 100 plus round shoot can take its toll. :)

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't mind the military buttplate so long as you don't try to shoot it prone, then it'll dang sure eat you up. But I also have a rifle with the checkered steel and shotgun butt plate that makes for some discomfort about mid match if you don't use a slip on like the shooter friend or similar.

MGySgt
03-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Recoil pad under your shirt sure helps. I use the one made by PAST that is their Magnum.

I have a Pederisolie (sp?) Quigly in a lesser caliber - 45/90. I don't shoot it much though.

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't really like the past shields they don't seem to give me the same placement of the rifle every time and they do seem to slide around agood deal.
I do like the limbsaver shirt sometimes tho.
All those pads do tend to change the sight settings you need as they do place your eye further out from the sights, and the increased length of pull.
But for the most part I do my shooting either setting or offhand and in those positions there's no problem even during a 2 day match of more than 40 rounds each day.

craveman85
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
well i took some odd density rubber i found thats similar to the feel of a good recoil pad. i cut a crescent out of it and use it on my buffalo classic. without it and a 8lb gun i still will shoot over 100 500gr bullets at a time so i dont think the quigley being over 14lbs is going to bother me. but after some reviewing of the finances i will be ordering on probably within the next week or 2.

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Well savor the moment and get ready to hang on... it's a long wait. lol
What cartridge are you getting it chambered for?

montana_charlie
03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't really like the past shields they don't seem to give me the same placement of the rifle every time and they do seem to slide around agood deal.
I tried the Past and didn't like it, for the same reasons. But the Bob Allen is okay...and not so thick.
CM

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Haven't tried a Bob Allen, but with the limbsaver shirt I like that thin pad and it stays put pretty well.
But for the most part I just skip any pads with the bpcr's if possible.

craveman85
03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
getting it in a 45-110. any idea what velocities its going to push a 500-540 grain bullet. more than likely im going to paper patch it just to stay in true quigley style. ive read that people get 1350 out of a 550 grain bullet but ive been getting 1250 out of a 500 grain in my 45-70. i thought it would be more like the 1500fps range

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
1350ish seems to be what a person hears of the most. You may be able to get more, but accuracy will likely dictate and the highest velocity doesn't always line up with the best accuracy in these big bores.
Alot of the guys shooting the 110 like plain ol Goex 1f.

03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Quigley bug eh? Yes, you can get 1300 +/- with a PP 520 in the 45-110. All depends on how you load, powder type, how the throat is, how much compression, how deeply the bullet is seated, diameter and design of bullet, how much wad column, etc. I looked at the Shiloh Quigley model, shopped around a little then ordered a C Sharps 45-110. Not as fancy as the Shiloh but ultimately practical and shorter wait, less $. That C Sharps turned out to be the most accurate BPCR gun I have even against my Shiloh 45-70.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-04-2011, 12:06 AM
They ARE beautiful, but I could never get used to the straight grip. My Axtell has the add on walnut grip with checkering and it is fantastic.

Rich

EDK
03-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd get out the SHILOH catalog and do some work on what I wanted. The military butt stock and patch box would be among the first missing items. 45/110, etc have some issues to overcome...read Kenny Wasserberger's posts on reloading here and over at shilohrifle.com/forums.

BUT I don't have a lot of room to talk. My SHILOH is a Long Range Express with a 34 inch heavy barrel in 50/90...always heard "Sharps Big 50" and it's what I wanted, so it's what I ordered. 45/70 is the most practical chambering..maybe on the next one. I got extra fancy wood, pack hardened finish, checkered steel shot gun butt plate and a pewter fore end tip. They installed blocks for a future MVA telescope AND a recoil reducer in the butt stock...I ain't as dumb as you thought! I got what I wanted and I'm happy with it....I'd suggest you do the same!

This will be my seventh year going to Quigley. 3 days drive from Saint Louie out there, a week in Forsyth, and then work my way back home. I ain't giving anyone much concern about out shooting them, but I'll be there to shoot and visit and have a good time. I won't be very happy if gas goes to $4, but I'll be there.

PS I go to C. SHARPS store because he's got a nice selection of books and items like cartridge belts. I do try to remember not to wear a SHILOH ball cap in there. Stop by The Fort gun shop/convenience store when you visit...got a DEAL on a nice stainless 44 VAQUERO with a 7.5 inch barrel there last year.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

NickSS
03-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Persaonally I had the same decision to make back in 1992mwhen I decided that I needed a Quigley model from Shiloh. I ordered it and commenced the three year wait they had at the time. In the mean time I bought a 45-75 Model 1875 from C Sharps which was delivered in 4 months and proceeded to shoot several dozen BPCR matches with it. After talking with a lot of people and looking at a lot of guns I called up Shiloh and Changed my order from a quigly in 45-110 to a long range express with fancy grade wood in 45-70 and also ordered a No 1 in 40-65 also with fancy wood. After a 42 month wait I had them and I have been very happy with them ever since. They are both tack drivers and do everything I want a BPCR for. I know several guys who have 45-110 and 45-140s and none of them shoot them much and reserve them for hunting almost exclusively. If you want something more than a 45-70 a 45-90 gives you a useful round for 1000 yard shooting as well as other type of BPCR shooting.

ReloaderFred
03-04-2011, 02:27 AM
I know several guys who have 45-110 and 45-140s and none of them shoot them much and reserve them for hunting almost exclusively.

I think you meant to say ".45-120". I have one, and it's a shooter and kicker, but I only shoot smokeless in mine. A 420 grain RCBS RNFP leaves the muzzle at just over 2,200 fps. from it's relatively short 24" barrel.

Hope this helps.

Fred

craveman85
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
i wouldnt go with any other caliber than the 45-110. im a big boy and i dont mind kick. ive done several both barrel shots with my metal butt plate 12 ga that only weighs 9lbs... if i remember correctly about 50 rounds in less than 10 minutes but we ran out of slugs. ive already got a 45-70 i shoot bp out of but i want the quigley rifle. im just debating now of whether i want the initials to be MQ or JK.

montana_charlie
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I remember somebody saying (years ago) that Shiloh won't put MQ on a Quigley gun.
But, I have to suppose they would, if those were the buyer's actual initials.
CM

Swede44mag
03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Interesting reading about the rifle but where would I order the same that Quigley shot.
I can't remember what caliber it was I guess I will have to watch the DVD again ;-)
It would be a hoot to use durring Deer Season.

craveman85
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
it was a 45-110 using a 540 grain paper patch bullet. ive watched this movie like every other week since i was a kid.

Don McDowell
03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Interesting reading about the rifle but where would I order the same that Quigley shot.
I can't remember what caliber it was I guess I will have to watch the DVD again ;-)
http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=35

Ickisrulz
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM

It’s a lever-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length’s thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It’s converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred and ten grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred and forty grain paper-patched bullet. It’s fitted with double set triggers, and a Vernier sight. It’s marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further.
—Matthew Quigley

craveman85
03-04-2011, 02:11 PM
got a reply back. they dont really have pictures of the different antique finishes. wait is 16-18 months. they need to be paid in full by the beginning of production. they said production should start after around 13 months.

craveman85
03-04-2011, 02:13 PM
when i decide on my finish and other options ill place an order. probably the end of next week.

craveman85
03-04-2011, 08:38 PM
figured everything out order is going out next pay check. im hoping i can get them to substitute the long range sight for the mid range thats on it if i pay the difference between the sights price. i dont see why they wouldnt though. going with the plain wood and the medium antique finish.

Casting Timmy
03-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I thought I just got a cabelas as in the mail with the pendersoli quigley rifle in it. Might be one way to get it fast.
Tim

NickSS
03-04-2011, 09:49 PM
The difference between a Shiloh Rifle and a Pedersolli rifle is considerable. For one thing Pedersolli does not seam to know how to make Sharps rifles fore ends the right shape and for another I have yet to see a Pedersolli rifle whose fit and finnish is anywhere close to a Shiloh. I own three Shiloh Sharps rifles and they shoot good but they are not a Shiloh or even close.

craveman85
03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
i dont want it fast i want it right and i want a real quigley

pls1911
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I'd have to concur with NickkSS's comments, though I believe them to be a little more harsh than necessary.
I have Five Pedersoli's, one each: Rolling block hunter, Rolling Block Bodine Creedmore, '74 Sharps business rifle, '74 Sharps Long Range Target Silhouette, and One Quigley.

Wood quality, fit, and finish is consistently very nice, bores are well done, and They'll shoot side by side with anything they've come up against, so long as I do my part.

Museum quality art work they are not.
Accurate well made and fine shooting tools they certainly are.
And of course my total investment won't quite pay for a single Shiloh...

Don McDowell
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
pls1911 you really need to do some price checking.

craveman85
03-05-2011, 02:45 PM
the pedersoli quigley is like 1500 less than a real quigley

JesterGrin_1
03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
The Pedersoli Quigley is one darn fine rifle. I had one. But I did have the option of fancy wood that was hand picked for me by Mr Pedersoli. Very nice Man I have to say. If you have any questions you can go to there site and e mail him directly. The fit and finish was fantastic. And a very accurate rifle.

I sold the Rifle to schutzen here on the forum. I wish he would show pics of it.

Don McDowell
03-05-2011, 03:30 PM
The Pedersoli "Quigley" is actually more expensive than a standard Shiloh rifle. While it is true the Shiloh Quigley is 1300 higher than the Italian version, the Italian does not include the sights and the gold engraving and lettering of the trademarked Quigley..And while the Italian has good fit and finish it's along ways from the high quality that Shiloh sends out.

craveman85
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
yup and thats why im buying a shiloh. its like buying an old cobra 427. you can either buy a kit or you can buy the real thing.

JesterGrin_1
03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
The Cobra 427 Orig to a kit is a HUGE can of worms lol. And I have worked on and driven both. The Orig Cobra 427 is not something you would wish to live with on the street lol.

craveman85
03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
yeah but the kit isnt the real deal.

JesterGrin_1
03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Actually some kits are Better in many ways. But you can still get a kit from Shelby if you so wish.

As I said big can of worms lol.

craveman85
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
ok then i will compare it to those kits that you use to turn a pontiac firerro into a "lamborghini"

JesterGrin_1
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM
lol Ok

craveman85
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
the quigley is ordered and so the 16-18 month wait begins. i guess i have to get special permission from someone to use a paper patch chamber on it though. i upgraded the mid range vernier to the long range one and also opted for the semi fancy wood. i know the original quigley didnt have semi fancy wood but they didnt really hand select wood back then so its very possible that a sharps could have ended up with some nicer wood than others. medium antique metal finish in 45-110 caliber.

DanWalker
03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Better get all your reloading stuff together too. My bud hunted antelope with his sharps with me last year, and had to buy commercially loaded ammo. A box of 20 cost him 80 bucks!

BSkerj
03-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I ordered my Sporter #1 45/70 back in November. Still have about a 10 month wait before production. In the mean time I am collecting reloading components and saving every penny I can so it will be payed for when the call comes. I am 2/3 's of the way there. I live about 5 hrs away so I plan on going up to pick out the wood. :-P

Glad to see you took the plunge Craveman ! Keep us informed.

craveman85
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
yeah i ordered 60 brass already. ive got a few guys going in on a 50lb lot of swiss when we get the money together. my fiance's parents said theyre getting me a set of dies for it for my birthday. i just have to wait for it to come in so i can slug the barrel and buy a mould for it..

montana_charlie
03-11-2011, 02:01 PM
i just have to wait for it to come in so i can slug the barrel and buy a mould for it..
You slug the barrel so you can make sure the mould throws 'fat' enough to fill the groove diameter. But that's for grease grooved bullets.
If you have your barrel chambered with Orville Loomis' reamer, you will never be shooting any grease grooved bullets.

Your bullet will need to be chosen according to the bore diameter and paper thickness, and that means it will probably be .444" or .446".
If you bought a .446" mould, you could play with papers till you found a good fit.
If you then ran the naked bullet through a .444" sizer, you could also explore that size...without owning two moulds.
This part of the equation remains the same...even with a standard chamber. But, with the Loomis chamber, it's your only option.

The key to this is that special reamer. Make sure you want it before you choose it.

CM

craveman85
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
well ive still got time to decide on the chamber but im 90% sure i would only want to shoot paper patch out of it. you think a standard chamber would be fine for paper patch bullets?

Don McDowell
03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes a standard chamber works fine for patched bullets.
Ask Kenney Wasserburger, his 2 7/8 chambered guns are standard chambers.

Crash_Corrigan
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I have a Winchester Model 1885 BPCR in 50-90 Sharps caliber. I loaded the first bunch of rounds with 102 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 with a .060 veggie wad and a handcast 695 gr Creedmoor boolit cast from a BACO mold.

It kicked the dickens out of me. Accurate but not fun to shoot. I went out and bought a decent shoulder mounted recoil pad and cut the loading down tp 90 grains of powder. Even with the pad and reduced loading I did not like to shoot more than 20 rounds at one sitting.

Then I obtained a stand up shooting table from which I can shoot this baby out to 550 yds with ease. Again I dropped the loading down to 86.4 gr of powder and now with the standing position I can absorb more recoil with less pain and the accuracy is excellent. I can nail the steel ram at 500 meters pretty much every time if I focus enuf. The sighting system on this rifle is outstanding and with the help of other BPCR shooters using similiar loadings I am in good company with a lot help.

Now I can shoot 50 rounds without discomfort and enjoy the full potential of this large calibre weapon. If had to do it over again I would have gone for a 38-55 Sharps Rifle as the recoil is negligble and the powder usage a lot easier on the pocketbook. My shooting buddy just got one and it is a joy to shoot even without a recoil pad. Trim and much lighter than the big fifty it has proven to be very accurate at up to 300 yds. We have not tried it yet on the 500 meter ram but we will.

Longwood
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Sharps listed their rounds by caliber and case length.
The movie was wrong, as usual, in calling it a 45-110.

craveman85
03-12-2011, 12:46 AM
someday ill get a 38-55 but first priority was the quigley rifle