PDA

View Full Version : It was better than ebay shopping ......

Jack Stanley
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
For some time now , I've been trying to put together a reloading kit for my nephew . His Dad gave him a bit of an interest in shooting and I've been coaching him into accuracy . When the lad graduated high school last year I was able to give him a 1903 with a new "old stock" barrel that shoots cast very well .

I was looking for an inexpensive but quality press that uses universal stuff like shellholders and dies at the last few shows with no luck . So , I started looking online at sale forums and the rusted hulks on ebay . I mentioned I was looking for a press and who it was for to a horse tradin' friend of mine and he said well I know this guy............

Just so I can make a short story longer , or the other way around ( I ain't real sure myself ! ) he came through for me . As it turns out some guy gave another a press several years ago , it hadn't been used much before it was given . The guy who got it never used it , just bolted it to a bench and said "someday" I'll reload . That was about twenty some years ago and he never has used it .

My friend started working on him , through another friend of course , and told of my nephew and the plan for getting him reloading . The guy with the press decided he was never really going to reload and since the press was given to him ........ well what would it hurt to get rid of it .

When I got the news that a press had been found and told what it was , I was ready to get the wallet out and pony up for it . But then the horse trader shifted my memory back to an old vibratory case cleaner I had given a common friend of ours when he had started loading . It turns out the case cleaner was given to the horse trader who used it a while then had given it to the man who had originally bought the press ( and later decided to reload again ) :veryconfu

The up side to all this is I gave away that case cleaner in the early eighties just about the time this nice RCBS press was made . When I asked how much I owed , the horse trader wouldn't let me pay !! Something about the guy who had the press for so long said if he had to take money for it he would just keep it :shock:

So uhhhhh........ I guess that means I traded a case cleaner for a press ???

I never did understand horse tradin' all that much but I think my nephew just came out ahead on this deal [smilie=p:

Jack

bumpo628
03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
You're a regular in the Pay it Forward section, aren't you?
Who says no good deed goes unpunished...

scrapcan
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
So Jack what else is it the young guy still need?

I was gifted iwth a couple of great guys for friends and reloading mentors. Lots of stuff has come my way in similar trades, I got a large lot of stuff for going and sweeing a shop and garage for a friend when he and his wife were laid up. I did it out of friendship and caring, he said the lot of stuff was returned in the same vein.

Walter Laich
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm confused: how many horses did you get in this trade? :)

Jack Stanley
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
You're a regular in the Pay it Forward section, aren't you?
Who says no good deed goes unpunished...

Actually no ...... I was NEVER fast enough on the draw to participate on that page . About the only reason I get a deal from time to time on the sale/trade page is because there are price tags that I can cope with [smilie=l:

Manleyjt , I think I got all the "big" stuff now , press , scale and a Uniflow measure coming in from the great state of Texas soon . Also have dies , lube pad with lube and a loading block so that is the inventory of what I have . For casting equipment I have a Ohaus mold and a LEE ladle , I'll find some handle I'm sure but not sure what I do for pot just yet . One of the cavities of the mold is large enough to use as is with tumble lube .

Just off the top of my head the things I'm still looking for are ; deburring tool , a load manual that includes cast and jacketed stuff , I know lyman made one once but I forget the number now . Also need to figure out something for primer seating , was going to look at maybe a ram prime type thing . A bullet puller , we all make mistakes right ? A primer flipper tray may be needed depending on the seating system I find . A powder funnel and a shell holder for a 30'06 type of case .

If it's possible , I'd like to find a primer catcher for this old RCBS "RS" press . It has an "80" stamped on the top and it actually looks more like a "JR" press than the "RS" you see now . A primer catcher I know will help keep things clean and since he doesn't have a shop to do this in it will be either clamped to a kitchen counter or a desk in his room . Primers rattling around my sisters vacum cleaner will not make her happy if ya know what I mean .

I may have missed a few things but I think that's about all he needs to get going . If you got some extras that are nice and priced fair let me know , I'm not in a big rush to gather all the parts . Since I retired last year , I'm finding I do need to pay attention to my spending lest I end up like government , broke and wondering why . :oops:

Jack

Jack Stanley
03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm confused: how many horses did you get in this trade? :)

[smilie=l:Walter , I'm not all that good of a trader but my friend now ...... he can start with a three legged mule and trade into a barn full of horses with hay if given enough time .

Jack

Throckmorton
03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a ram prime I use for small batches,and I much prefer it to the hand priming tool my buddy has.His tool and I just dont see eye to eye at all.Mine happens to be Lee,which will fit most any single stagge press that takes std. die sizes. Im prety sure they still come with large and small primer seater stems.
I started with a ram prime when doing hundreds of rounds at a time,so they will most surely get the job done for very little money.

scrapcan
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Jack,

I have a couple of the items that I could pass along t get him going.
I have
1)debur tool
2)primer flipper tray

I may have (again if I have one or the other I would pass along)
ram prime unit
Lee single cavity 170 rn 1R or 170 fn
may have an extra #2 shell holder

If interested send me a pm

RKJ
03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Jack,
I don't know if it would work or not but years ago I had a LEE turret press that didn't have a primer catcher, a friend and I fabricated one using some clear plastic tubing (gas line) and a 35 mm film canister with a hole cut in the top and tape over the end of the tube so it didn't fall out. I don't know how common the canisters are anymore but I'd imagine a medicine bottle would work just fine.

Jack Stanley
03-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Since I still have the old fashion camera that uses that stuff I have a few canisters laying around . I'll have to look at the press and see how it normaly disposes of them . I think it just drops them out the front of the ram when it's elevated .

If I could make that work that would be great , thanks for the tip . I've been real spoiled by a Bonanza Co-Ax press that catches every primer without fail .

Jack

Alvarez Kelly
03-04-2011, 01:39 AM
I have a few items to donate to the youngster.

An RCBS primer flip tray
An RCBS primer pocket cleaner/neck brush set
I have 38/357 and 9mm shellholders if you need either
A powder funnel or 2

PM me with your want list and your address.

Paying it forward... I'm sure he'll help others later when he can. That's a great lesson to teach.

scrapcan
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Jack,

AKelly has a list that has some stuff on it that I too had in my list. I think we can work to gether to not duplicate items. If you let both of us know we can get more items into the hands of our future.

I responded to your pm also. I will see what we can do.

Jack Stanley
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Manleyjt , I will PM the list to Alvarez Kelly , between the three of us I believe I can get the lad moving the press handle .

Jack

Alvarez Kelly
03-05-2011, 04:11 AM
PM sent to Jack. I want to help, but lets try to avoid duplication. Let me know what you want off my list and I'll mail it out.

Jack Stanley
03-05-2011, 09:14 PM
AKelly , Manleyjt is sending a flipper tray already but the other items are much appreciated . I hadn't thought of the neck brush and pocket cleaner , thanks so much guys , you are just the best !!

Jack

Alvarez Kelly
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Mailing on Monday. :-)

drmjf
03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Jack, just call RCBS they will send you a new primer catcher. FREE! They stand behind their tools. I just got a replacement last month.

Jack Stanley
03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Jack, just call RCBS they will send you a new primer catcher. FREE! They stand behind their tools. I just got a replacement last month.

REALLY ??? How cool is that ? Thanks for the tip .

Jack