PDA

View Full Version : contender,g2 or encore advice.

unclebill
03-03-2011, 07:10 AM
OK fellas.
i am in a bit of a fix.
my girlfriend bought an older contender and i fell in love.
(with it not the girl)
now i want one.
the trigger is superb on hers.
my quandary is.
i would like to be able to put rifle caliber bbls on whatever i buy.
but it is my understanding that none of them have a trigger as nice as the old contenders.
if i got a g2 or encore.
are there aftermarket parts to drop in it that will give it a better trigger?
thank you for your time.
bill

softpoint
03-03-2011, 07:19 AM
An Encore trigger can be tuned to be quite good. Not quite as nice as one of the "old" Contenders, but I am happy with mine at about 1.5 lbs. :lovebooli

quilbilly
03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I have four Contender frames dating as far back as the 1970's (five digit serial) and all shoot both the pistol and carbine barrels just fine. I am not sure, however, if the G-2 barrels will fit on the older Contenders but the older barrels will do just fine on the G-2. My favorite barrels on the carbines have been the .410, 7mmTCU, and 22 Hornet but I am still working on the 357 Max. On the handgun barrels my two favorites have been the 32-20 and the 41 mag. I have always had accuracy difficulties with the stainless 22 match barrel in the handgun and the 32-20 consistently outshoots it.
Be careful with these Contenders. They become habitforming.

218bee
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
If you search BELLM??? not sure if thats spelled correctly he used to have trigger parts I believe for contenders...not sure which ones

pistolman44
03-04-2011, 12:28 AM
I hade a super TC 14 in 7X30 Waters with 14" brl with muzzle tamer. Man I wish I had never sold it. I have a SS Encore pistol with 3 brls, 6mm TCU 15", .17 HMR 15 in. and a 12" 44 mag. Had Virgin Valley do a trigger job at 1.5lb. Plan on adding more brls. Good thing about the G2 you can use Contender older brls.

45r
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Older contender frames in good shape can be found at gunbroker.A friend of mine found a real good contender at Gander Mtn.They're around,just have to look for them.The triggers on the older ones are better,wish they still made them.

dk17hmr
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
If I were you I wouldnt start. I have a frame my dad gave me for Christmas last year, 3 months ago, I actually got it in September because he was out here. But right now I have 6 pistol barrels and a rifle barrel. This little gift has cost me well over $1000 so far....and there is no end in sight.

aaalaska
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Might try the classified on the Specialty pistols forum.See some frames on there from time to time and barrels most days.
Alex

fourarmed
03-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Tuning the G2/Encore triggers is aggravating, but it can be done. I will go out on a limb, and say that I do not think you can safely lighten them to the point that the old contenders could routinely be lightened.

Four Fingers of Death
03-05-2011, 06:24 AM
I have an Encore and have had no experience with the others, but if you have any of them, you need to spend a bit of time on Mike Belm's site. You will learn heaps. Forget about anything you have learned with shooting and loading for bolt guns and start again.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=562

unclebill
03-05-2011, 06:58 AM
i have spoken to mike bellm on the phone.
nice guy.
and he knows his stuff.
i am going to go with the contender.

Four Fingers of Death
03-06-2011, 03:43 AM
These are strange machines! I keep thinking why bother with something that takes a lot of effort to achieve results a bolt gun can do without fuss. I keep waxing and waning thinking I will sell it, but have finally decided to keep the Encore, buy the tune up kit and master the ***** little machine. It will become my main medium game cast boolit hunter.

45-70 Chevroner
03-09-2011, 12:13 AM
unclebill!!!!! Try GraybeardOutdoors forum for a frightful amount of TC and Ancore talk and lots of stuff for sale. Those guys know about TCs.

rhbrink
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
These are strange machines! I keep thinking why bother with something that takes a lot of effort to achieve results a bolt gun can do without fuss. I keep waxing and waning thinking I will sell it, but have finally decided to keep the Encore, buy the tune up kit and master the ***** little machine. It will become my main medium game cast boolit hunter.
These are my feelings exactly but after you spent the time and get them to shoot very consistantly it starts to become fun. And they do grown on you and can be made shoot very well mine has become my favorite truck - boat rifle. Short, light, and doesn't take up much room. I now have a .223, 25-06, and a 45-70 that covers about everything that I need for a truck gun. If I was to do anything different I would trade the .25-06 for a 6.5 X55, other than that there ain't gonna be no more TC barrels.8-)

Shooter6br
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I see used Conteder pistols. i need to know if it is an older model etc. Also thereare many grip variations. Foreend wood style differs.I like the "Herret" grip and forends. There is a "Couger" frame? i am confused. Thanks

Four Fingers of Death
03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I see used Conteder pistols. i need to know if it is an older model etc. Also thereare many grip variations. Foreend wood style differs.I like the "Herret" grip and forends. There is a "Couger" frame? i am confused. Thanks

That frame was designed to be used by frisky middle aged women who like to shoot with younger, fit male shooters! lol

rhbrink, we are on the same wavelength it seems. I intended to buy a new 223, but ended up buying the used Encore with the 308 T/C Barrel and the 17Ackerly Hornet Virgin Valley Bull barrel and laminated forend. I got the lot including foes, cases, etc, etc for a bit less than the price of a new Encore.

I don't think I will bother with any more barrels as a new T/C Bbl with scope base is as dear as a Remington SPS Rifle!

There is a nice round they chamber for the Contender frames, but would work fine in an Encore and thats the 6.5 BRM or bench rest magnum. 6.5 on a 30/30 case and blown out to a more modern shape. Punches way above it's weight apparantly, very similar in performance to the 6.5 Swede but in a case better suited to the break action.

FAscinating albiet somewhat annoying guns!

I haven't touched the 17 yet. I am sure that as soon as I get that sorted I will use the rifle a lot, especially with a Chinese wife and step daughter who are driving me mad to get some fox fur and winter on the way! The Chinese are not so politically correct and really think fox fur is very posh!

Artful
03-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Shooter6br, pay no attention to the older women wanting stroke your contender barrel.
Cougar actually refers to the relief on the side of the frame - earliest didn't have thing cut into them were just plain straight sides. Check out the information at this link
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,24.0.html

Just remember Encore is bigger heavier but handles larger calibers that will stretch a Contender frame. Which was originally only designed for smaller lighter calibers and was forced into taking such large cartridges as 45-70 but it will shorten the life of your frame if you try and push it too much.