PDA

View Full Version : bp grainage for the same meassure

bigted
03-03-2011, 01:06 AM
so with a hurt tooth :groner:and some time on my hands for a day or two[smilie=b: i am left to wonder those things that are life changing in the grandest nature.:killingpc

here is my latest brain fart.... i began to wonder first off how much weighed powder my old flask would hold with my finger over the spout and levering the sprung gate once.

then another thought expanded in my fevered grey matter:holysheep...that is "i wonder" what the diff between the goex 2f,,cartridge and express in 2f as well so off to the doghouse i went to discover these mysterys and now to publish them for any other person with the burning desire to know the answer to these questions once and for all.

so being sworn to secrecry and knowing the handshake that will enter one into the darkest places...here is the mighty answer to thusly proclaimed wonderment;

the flask is an ancient brass cva model with a spring loaded gate that is of the flat type on top of the screw on lid and having a removable spout that is threaded into the same brass lid.

the first area of study was the straight 2f goex powder.
overall the spout held an average of 10 pours--24.85grains ...with the top of 25.5 and the lowest of 24.4

second area of study was the goex cartridge powder.
overall the same spout held average of 27.65 grains over 10 pours with the top pour of 28.2 and the lowest pour of 27.2

third area and last becouse its all the diff kinds of powder i have on hand is the goex express powder.
overall the same spout held an average of ten pours again... was 26.96 grains of this powder with the top being 27.6 and the lowest of 26.5 grains.

conclusion is that of these three different grades of the same goex powder being leveraged out of my cva spout and being averaged with 10 pours each is that there is around 2.8 grains average difference and that if you want tighter then 2.8 grains of powder in your charge then you should stick with the same type of powder even of the same maker and f granulation.

i know huh....such life changing information should be held close to the vest and only let such persons as will exhibit the emotionally sound behavior and clever mind in on the top secret info held in this grand and exhaustive experiment. this took me nearly an hour to develope so you can clearly see that if dropped in the wrong hands ...what a catastrophic failure in humanity it may cause so impart this with all do diligence you can render such life changing information[smilie=f:

Don McDowell
03-03-2011, 01:49 AM
:bigsmyl2: Good technical stuff there Ted.[smilie=s:
I had my Lyman 55 set up for 68 grs of Cartridge, changing to Goex 3f express dumped 75 grs, and 2f express came in at 72 grs. Didn't try the other stuff. :veryconfu

Lead Fred
03-03-2011, 03:32 AM
You can fill a modern barrel with black, and double ball it, touch it off and all you will get is a big bang. No including in-lines which are mongoloid inbreds.

From the horn, into the set measure, into the barrel.
Its a fairly simple concept thats 100s of years old.
Most fancy do-dads from the 70s forward were just reinventing the sheel

montana_charlie
03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Most fancy do-dads from the 70s forward were just reinventing the sheel
Unlike the brass flask, which dates way back into black powder history, I think it's high time that somebody DID reinvent the sheel.

Every sheel I have ever owned had to be modified, mangled, or manipulated to make it sheel correctly.
Since centuries of opportunity have not resulted in a sheel that actually works properly, perhaps we should abandon the activity entirely.

CM

BerdanIII
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Montana:

I'm with me on this one, too.

montana_charlie
03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Okay, I'll be with you on that one, too, three.
CM

wgr
03-05-2011, 10:33 PM
do you guys work for the goverment? so much time on your hands

bigted
03-05-2011, 10:58 PM
dont know bout the others but i work at a gold mine....wanna trade??

montana_charlie
03-06-2011, 12:41 AM
do you guys work for the goverment? so much time on your hands
Read my sig line...