PDA

View Full Version : Canadians, lend a hand to a fellow Canuck! (please)

frykasj
03-02-2011, 08:53 PM
So I want to get a hold of some of this "kroil" I keep hearing about for treating mold cavities with. Everywhere I ask, I get blank stares and wierd looks... and the occasional, "What are you using it for?" query.

I've been to True Value, Home Hardware, Napa Auto Parts, Greggs Distributors, and out of sheer desperation I tried Baron Oilfield Supply... No dice.

Does anyone know where to find some of this in Canada? Barring that, is there any substitutes a guy could use?

kartooo
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
on sale a midway,don't know if they ship to Canada

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=137203&utm_source=sbbottom&utm_medium=homepage#

frykasj
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
They don't even sell to Canadians, but thanks anyway.

357 Voodoo
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
try right from the company Kroil (http://www.kanolabs.com/)

stubshaft
03-02-2011, 09:36 PM
If you can't get it direct from Kano Labs then they may be able to identify a distributor in your area.

waksupi
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Get some automatic transmission fluid, add some kerosene, and you basically have it.

Doby45
03-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Why is it you can not cast without it? I have cast many thousands of boolits from many different molds and I have never owned a drop of Kroil, nor have I ever put ANYTHING in my mold cavities. (other than lead)

rockrat
03-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I have used it in a few moulds, but usually use NEI mould prep (powdered graphite in an alcohol carrier).

montana_charlie
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Try looking at the Canadian version of eBay.
http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=kroil&_sacat=See-All-Categories

See anything there you can use?

CM

frykasj
03-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Why is it you can not cast without it? I have cast many thousands of boolits from many different molds and I have never owned a drop of Kroil, nor have I ever put ANYTHING in my mold cavities. (other than lead)

It's not that I can't cast without it, just the fact that I wanted to try something different. Especially seeing how people were expounding the virtues of the stuff.

I have used it in a few moulds, but usually use NEI mould prep (powdered graphite in an alcohol carrier).

I actually never heard of this, it looks like something else worth checking out. Thanks!

Get some automatic transmission fluid, add some kerosene, and you basically have it.

For some reason, I don't think this would work out so well...

Try looking at the Canadian version of eBay.
http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=kroil&_sacat=See-All-Categories

See anything there you can use?

CM

Checking fleabay never occured to me either. Thanks for the suggestion. However, I was wondering if there were some larger chain-stores carrying the stuff so I don't have to deal with PayPal... Rather pay with cash.

bowfin
03-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Check any machining or industrial catalogs or websites, or automotive supply stores. It's great for soaking bolts and screws that are frozen with rust.

hk33ka1
03-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Williams Arms in Port Perry Ontario has some. Give them a call. Theyre on Google.

nanuk
03-03-2011, 07:27 AM
I will have to check my local NAPA, and Lone Star Parts, I thought I saw it there.

Peavey Mart carries a graphite spray in alcohol carrier. I picked up a can to try Lee-menting an old mould I have

blackthorn
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I got mine at "The Powder Keg" sporting goods store here in Kamloops B.C., So try your local gun store.

dragonrider
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Just my mantra but I never put anything in a mold cavity but lead. Adding mold release to a mold cavity results in ugly and usually small boolits. A well prepped mold cavity needs nothing.

montana_charlie
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
A well prepped mold cavity needs nothing....totally agree...

10x
03-03-2011, 11:53 PM
I got mine at "The Powder Keg" sporting goods store here in Kamloops B.C., So try your local gun store.

Local gun stores are few and far between where he lives.
And the ones that are there have no idea of what Kroil is.
I would like to get some as well to see if it lives up to the claims folk make.

Bad Water Bill
03-04-2011, 04:04 AM
I have not used it on a mold YET but got some when I started restoring a 1981 V W pickup over 3 years ago. So far 0 stripped or rounded bolts or screws. Now working on the 3rd truck and still 0 problems. Just another reason to own some.

quasi
03-04-2011, 04:08 AM
Kerosene + oil = Kroil

Donor8x56r
03-04-2011, 06:58 AM
IMHO it's not worth to even look for it if all you are using are aluminium moulds.Steel moulds might be different story .

I wasted almost 30$ after shipping etc for a small container just to find that out...

frykasj
03-04-2011, 03:16 PM
IMHO it's not worth to even look for it if all you are using are aluminium moulds.Steel moulds might be different story .

I wasted almost 30$ after shipping etc for a small container just to find that out...

Ahh darn. Well I guess this throws a wrench into my plans then.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. either I'm gonna try that dry graphite spray or just go "au naturál" like some have said.

nanuk
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
if a well prepped mould needed nothing, it would not be prepped...

kind of a paradox.....

Doby45
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
You roll with that.

sturf
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
www.kanolabs.com also E bay has it

Andy_P
03-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Be careful - you can get threads locked and probably banned from here for providing recipes that copy commercial lubes. Kano Labs probably employs lots of people with mouths to feed.

As for Kroil, it works very well as a penetrating oil, and a mold "release agent", but I like it best as a bore cleaner, specifically to remove lead.

I had to buy mine in the US. If I hear of a reliable source in Canada, I'll pass it on.

Skipper488
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I've noticed this Kroil mention several times and after looking at this thread I decided to look into it a little more. The stuff is made 2.28 miles from my office. I drive right by the place several times a week and would never know that this place was there. In fact I get caught by a train and have to sit right in front of the place fairly regularly.

Donor8x56r
03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Ahh darn. Well I guess this throws a wrench into my plans then.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. either I'm gonna try that dry graphite spray or just go "au naturál" like some have said.

Sorry about that.Just trying to be helpful,not crush anyones hopes :)

If you really are looking for something to help you cast I can recommend Bullplate lube.

I cant remember where is link to their store...

Anyway,I borrowed small bottle for a test drive last summer-It did help a lot with cutting sprue and it prevents lead smear on top of the mould.

My own bottle is coming up with one of group buy moulds.

One thing-follow instructions exactly as they say.

smithywess
03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
frykajs

Andy P has it right. I haven't used it on moulds but it sure is a good bore cleaner and penetrating oil. Duncan Auto Parts sells it in Duncan, British Columbia. They are in the Canadian White Pages on your computer, and would probably mail you a can. It's not cheap !!

squirrelnuttz
05-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Dudley's in Drayton Valley Ab. has the liquid Kroil on the shelf.

Canuck Bob
05-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Saw some on a Calgary gun shop shelf, think it was WSS but not sure. You want me to send you a bottle PM. Where up north, my people are from High Prairie country. Salt Prairie north of Grouard to be specific.

Blammer
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
frykasj, save your money it's not worth it, this kroil stuff.