PDA

View Full Version : Just had to do it !

dagger dog
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I posted some of this in 2ndAmendmentNuts Lever poll.

I ran some lead through my new Braztech-Rossi 92 .45 Colt lever gun, got it about 3 weeks ago and FINALLY got to shoot it, just a quick 20 rounds to see how she worked.

Loaded 10 Lee 255 gr RNFP wheel weight mix over 5.7 grs of Trail Boss and Wolf LP primers,and 10 252 grain Lee SWC same recipie, both fed and ejected flawlessly.

They are very mild, just a pop and a push, was able to hit my steel spinner target and keep it swinging.

This was at 25 yards off hand, will have to get some more loaded up with some hunting loads and back up a bit farther with it bench rested, to see if she'll put 'em where it counts.

Now I'm gonna detail strip her and do a litlle slickem work.

Will post more as it comes.

Jeff H
03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Very Exciting![smilie=w:

I have only put a few through my .357 92 so far and am anxious to get more.

I really struggled with the selection and as much as I like the little bug, I may just have to gave a .44 or .45.

You comment about a "pop and a push" intrigues me, as I have wondered just how well they shoot at mild pressures/velocities. I hope to find out with mine soon.

dagger dog
03-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah I have some pig squealer loads for my Blackhawk with RCBS 255 452 water quenched wheel weight alloy and a heavy dose of H110 and magnum primers that I worked up from info on Linebaugh's Custom Sixgun site the pressures are supposed to be in the 30,000 psi range. After I get the Rossi broken in good I'll try some of those.

Hope you can get your .357 up and running.

dagger dog
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
More on the Rossi.

Shot about 25 handloads through the Rossi '92, mild loads of Trail Boss, with my water quenched wheel weight RCBS 255-452 LSWC. Was able to hit the 2" steel swinger @ 40 yrds, with 4 out of 5 in a squat position. I think that was due to the better Marble full buckhorn rear sight that took the place of the tiny factory rear, I had already replaced the front one with a 3/32" ivory bead.

It handles the "cowboy" loads pretty good, and I'm still wanting to try the +P+ .45Colt Ruger loads that I have worked up for my New Model Blackhawk.

On close examination of the fired brass from the Rossi, I found a rather prominent BULGE , close to the base just above the head. If I had to say what caused it, I would say the ramp that guides the cartridge into the chamber extends some what into the chamber, of course the pressure from the igniton pushes the brass into that area of the chamber, causing the bulge.

Maybe the fact it will feed just about any shape bullet is in direct proportion to the amount of metal removed in the ramp- chamber area?

Running the brass through my Lee carbide resizer smooths the bulge out, and I have marked that brass to see if subsequent loadings may cause a failure of the cases from over working the brass in that bulge area.

This also "cold waters" my wanting to run some high pressure rounds through the '92, not wanting a face full of unburnt powder and brass!

So I will keep an eye on the over worked cases ,proceeded with caution, and see how this will effect the longevity of the brass.

More later.

dd

Jeff H
03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I'll be watching.
There is a noticable bulge in my .357 cases, but not horrible. It has me thinking about a .44 mag now and I would probably not be loading it to the low level I have been loading the .357.