PDA

View Full Version : Need Encore information

Parson
03-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Just picked up a Prohunter action and thumbhole stock, no barrel. While I have about 35 years experience with Contenders as owner, competitor and gunsmith, I have absalutely zero experience with the Encore. Searched the net last night for some tech info on barrels. I found every opinion you could think of. 70 years old, 35 years as gunsmith now retired, marksmanship competitor and instructer I can usually seperate the fluff from the baloney, but I must confess I am confused about the Encore barrels. Looking at Graffs site for availability I find CVA barrels, CVA Bergara barrels and T/C Encore barrels. I find Heavey barrels, bull barrels, Encore rifle, Bergara and Pro-hunter but no dimensions or taper listed. I thought I might want a 25-06 in the 28" Pro-hunter, several claimed they were pure ****, 5-6 in. groups untill they cut them down to 20-22in. I well know you cannot trust a gun magazine writter to tell you the truth, if the gun company takes out a full page ad they get a good review. Those of you that have them, have had them or at least have some personal experience, whats your thoughts

pistolman44
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Can't help you out on rifle barrels but I have 3 pistol barrels. 6mm TCU ss 15" custom shop full bull, 44mag 12", and 17HRM 15" ss Pro Hunter, They all are very accurate. My frame is SS and a trigger job done by Vigin Valley at 1 1/2lb. Next brl. purchase will be a 30-30 or 35 Reminton. I did read that some brls. have long throats. If you reload you can adjust the bullet length depth to just touch the bore.

BABore
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Personally, I won't buy a T/C bbl anymore. Too many problems with rifling (chatter and missing sections), chamber to bore concentricity, big chambers, long throats or freebore, and a long list of other problems. I have both firsthand experience as well as friends that I trust. Yes you can get a good bbl and most do. I don't like wasting my money. I have heard good things about Bergara bbls via Mike Bellm's website and newsletter. He grades the bbls he receives and blueprints ones that he believes need it. From there I look at custom bbls. For around $100 to $150 more than a T/C you can get a bbl that someone stands behind. My first was a Bullberry and it is a fine bbl. My latest is from MGM and I am very happy with it. MGM makes good bbls at a reasonable price.

Most reloaders don't understand how to size their brass for a hinged breech action. Even the older methods used for the Contender, where you sized down til the action just closed, don't quite cut it when your running above 50 kpsi. Bellm's website has some good articles on the how-to's and why's. I had to relearn some reloading practices to get the accuracy I wanted. I also went to an oversized hinge pin, extra power locking bolt spring, and bedded and floated my forend. I did things one step at a time and could see the groups shrink with each one.

stubshaft
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I am a fan of MGM also. I have nine of Kerry's barrels in a wide variety of calibers. EABCO also makes some fine barrels for an Encore.

What Babore said is true regarding accurizing and loading for a hinged breech. But, when things come together they can be as/more accurate than a bolt gun. The key is to make adjustments ONE AT A TIME, so you can asssess the impact each one makes.

onesonek
03-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I have, and have had several Encore barrels. First off, I would suggest doing a trigger job. As for the barrels, I have not used a PorHunter barrel. I just don't have the desire for the extra length. As for contours, I don't know that TC ever made an Encore "bull barrel". I haven't got the measurements right handy, but the heavy barrel is about .800" and the standard is about .700". The PH might be different .
I don't have any factory barrels at present, not that they were bad, but they weren't great shooters either. They would however, stand up with some production bolt guns. I also have 2 Bergara barrels,,,,not bad barrels either, but still playing with them, so the conclusion of their accuracy is still out. So far they seem ok and warrent keeping for more load developement.
I got spoiled with custom barrels however. I have an older VVCG, and a 2 EABCO's ( not so sure at least one of them actually wasn't made by vvcg at the time), but most are OTT's (3 with #4 in process). Trouble is getting an OTT made today is not good. I do have a MGM on the way, and will likely go there for another or the next. All of these are sub 1/2 moa or better, with the OTT's leading the accuracy department. Fireforming loads in those, are often less than 1/4 moa. Worked up loads are usually better.

No disrespect to Bruce's thoughts or findings, but I'm not sold on Bellm's Oversized Hinge Pin. Maybe it helps, I haven't found the need to try one as of yet. Maybe I should just out of curiosity's sake. Heavier bolt springs don't hurt, but I haven't tried those either unless that's what was installed on my custom barrels. I had my trigger done by EABCO, and is at 2lbs or just a touch under. But they aren't hard to do oneself either.
Main thing is, you don't want any lubrication on the locking bolt or in the slot itself, as it raises cain with accuracy,,,at least that is what I have found.

I also don't use a hanger bar on the forend, but see where it might be an advantage,,,once the bar is installed it really don't matter how one tightens the forend. Without a hanger, consistant torque or rather inconsistant on the forend screws can affect accuracy. For the most part, I just watch how I torgue mine up, and also if a wood forend, make sure the "ears" are not in contact with the frame.

But for the money,,,, today I would go MGM and have it made the way you want.

Rafe Covington
03-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I have 9 TC Encore Custom Shop barrels [ got 3 more comin shortly], all are full bull barrels [.995 full length], they run from 15 in. to 18 in. long, shoot all them as pistol barrels. Personally I have never had a bad TC barrel, if they are set up right they are just as accurate as a bolt action handgun.

If I gave my opinion of Bellm I would probably get barred from this site.

Rafe:redneck:

Parson
03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
If I gave my opinion of Bellm I would probably get barred from this site.

Rafe:redneck:[/QUOTE]

Like I said in part, after 35 years as a gun smith I can read through a lot of internet wind on the mechanical end, I just have had no experience with Encores, but love my Contenders

quilbilly
03-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Having spent almost 30 years with Contenders (handgun and carbine), I acquired my first Encore with two rifle barrels about 3 years ago in .204 and 250-3000 calibers. I have had no problems with either and have been pleased with the accuracy of both. The .204 is scoped and gets 1" groups at 200 and the 250-3000 with an 18" barrel has a Williams peep getting 1-1/2" groups at 100 but I am not yet using CB's in either.

pistolman44
03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I have 3 Encore barrels and all three are accurate. One is a TC Custom shop 6mm TCU and the other 2 are standard factory barrels. My 44 mag 12" barrel is so accurate with 190gr. JHP is scarey.

lak
03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd have to cast my vote for MGM. I have two rifle barrel, both 24" and would like to have a 358 win made. Heard that some TC production barrel have not been as accurate as hoped for and the customers have been very unhappy. Have also read where the long 28" barrel will actually flex and act like a whip, cutting them back to 22" and accuracy improved....Lak