PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Square Deal or 550B?

Aldeer
11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Any reason to pick one over the other if using only for pistol calibers? The autoindexing on the Square Deal is attractive, but the 550B will use all the dies I already own. Output rate is about the same for both.

robertbank
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I have the 550B and it does everything I need a press to do. Using your existing dies will save you a bunch of money. You may not load rifle now but it is nice to have the option if things change in the future. Friend of mine has one and says it takes longer to change out calibers with the Square Deal. I can't comment on that but can say changing them on the 550B is hardly a 10 minute job, less if you don't have to change primer tubes.

I would go witht the 550B

Take Care

Bob

ron brooks
11-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree with Bob, go with the 550B. One of these days you may want to load rifle, and you can use standard dies in it.

Ron

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2006, 12:48 PM
square deals are faster to load with. But if i could have only one press it would be a 550.

powderburnerr
11-22-2006, 01:19 PM
The only problem I have with the square deal is the head is so small I have trouble getting the cases in to the shellhead .my fingers are fat and stiff. Dean.

Mk42gunner
11-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I have used both, one of my strikers had a Square Deal, and I had a 550B. If I was buying new from Dillon I would get the 550. As long as you have enough tool heads to set up you dies the caliber changes take very little time, the only thing that is time consuming is changing primer size.

Robert

FISH4BUGS
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I have used my 550 B for so long I can't even remember. All I know is my customer number at Dillon is 3 digits. I think the ability to do rifle is the key. Never say never about rifle calibers.

mike in co
11-22-2006, 01:57 PM
square deal is great IF you leave it set up for one caliber and buy one for each caliber.
anything else go with a 550 or more...
i have 2 550's...one in small primer, one in large....

mike

imashooter2
11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Just about every blown up gun story I read on the net starts with ammo from a Dillon 550. It is a fine machine, but absolutely intolerant of error. Lose concentration, forget to advance the plate before you pull the handle and you have a problem. The auto index of the SDB or 650 is a valuable safety feature. I would insist on it.

My opinion only. 550 owners, save your howls of protest.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Having owned a 550B, replacing it with a Hornady LnL and loading on fairly often on a Dillon 650 a buddy owns, my recommendation is get a Hornady LnL. You avoid the potential kaboom issue, get a better powder measure (especially for rifle), automatic advance and spend less money by a good bit. I've never regretted not keeping my 550B.

Of the two presses you're looking at, the 550B is a good bit more versatile, but not as versatile as a LnL.

Just my .02,

Dave

NVcurmudgeon
11-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I have a Square Deal in .45 ACP and a conversion for .44 Magnum. By keeping the conversion set up in a spare toolhead, switching is fast and easy. I am thinking of getting another SD, this time in 9mm and .38 Special. I really like the way Dillon has stood behind my very early SD, which has now benefitted from all the improvements (free.) I have used a freind's 550, but the idea of a non-self indexing progressive gives me the vapors. There is way too much of a party going on in my head all the time. OTOH, loaders with attention spans might be well-equipped with a 550.

August
11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Auto-indexing is, indeed, important!!!!

Around here people say the following (no kidding):

1. I have a square deal and really like it. Wish I would have gotten a 550, however.

2. I have a 550 and really like it. Wish I would have gotten a 650, however.

3. I have a 650. I really like it!

True.

One brain fart with a 550 and you got a double charge.

Me? I have an SDB for cowboy loading. It goes fast and works great!

Baldy
11-22-2006, 07:45 PM
My rifle days are over so all I load for is hand guns. You can not beat the SDB Dillon for turning out quality ammo in a resonable amount of time. I load for .38/.357, .45acp, and .44spl. Once you get it set you can run 5 or 500 and it's right on the money. If I was going to do rifles I would want a good single stage press myself. What ever you chose good luck with it.

swampmaster
11-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Auto-indexing is, indeed, important!!!!

Around here people say the following (no kidding):

1. I have a square deal and really like it. Wish I would have gotten a 550, however.

2. I have a 550 and really like it. Wish I would have gotten a 650, however.

3. I have a 650. I really like it!

True.

One brain fart with a 550 and you got a double charge.

Me? I have an SDB for cowboy loading. It goes fast and works great!

I have a 650 and dont like it, I think I am the only one,would rather have two 550's or maybe the LNL

Larry Gibson
11-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Any reason to pick one over the other if using only for pistol calibers? The autoindexing on the Square Deal is attractive, but the 550B will use all the dies I already own. Output rate is about the same for both.

I have both presses. The SDB is used for 9mm, 38/357, .41 mag, 44 Spec/.44 Mag, 45 ACP and .45 Colt. The 550B is used for multiple cartridges; .22 Hornet up through 45-70. The only pistol cartridge loaded on the 550B is the .32 S&WL/.32 H&R Mag and the .38 Super (using 9mm dies) to load for a Spanish Destroyer. I really like both presses and the service you get from Dillon. I maintain and use a lot a single stage press also. Because most who ask this question have a single stage press they currently use and intend to keep it for rifle loading I most often recommend the SDB for "production" handgun ammo. It is easy to use and the auto indexing is nice. The 550B, besides loading rifle artridges, has other options. The 650 is a pretty "busy" machine and unless you really want to load LOTS of ammo it is not one I've found a need for. At a leasurely pace I can crank out 350 - 400 rounds per hour (includes filling primer tube and emptying ammo box) by myself. A thousand rounds in an evening isn't a problem. I have about the same rate on the 550B with the pistol rounds or when neck sizing rifle cases for cast bullet loads. Rifle cartridges loaded on the 550B require (for me anyway) a couple extra steps to ensure quality and to clean the lube off the cases. I do load cast loads on the 550B in rifle cartridges and of course 99% of the ammo on the SDB is with cast bullets.

All of my precision long range target and varmint cartridges along with big game hunting rounds are loaded on the single stage press with numerous quality control steps taken. Of course all of my test and precision loaded (for best accuracy) cast bullet rifle loads are loaded on the single stage press.

This is the first place on the internet where I have read of firearms being blown up with ammo loaded on a 550B. I would like to hear some documented cases if possible.

Larry Gibson

Dale53
11-23-2006, 01:14 AM
I know people that could screw up a brick. The Dillon 550B is a fine loader. Don't blame a tool for damn fool mistakes. There are people who shouldn't use ANY Progressive press. It doesn't make them bad people, they probably have other fine traits. I have a friend who sells loading tools by the ton. He won't sell a progressive press to those who are not mechanical. In the long run, he probably benefits from being particular who he deals with.

Dale53

Hunter
11-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Have you considered the Hornady L-N-L progressive that is very versitle? I love mine.

376Steyr
11-23-2006, 03:40 AM
I managed to double-charge a 45 ACP when I first got my 550B. I was young and stupid then, but now I am older. The root cause was that I was careless, but a contributing factor was I using an early version of a carbide sizing die from another manufacturer. The die had a sharp edge at the start of the sizing ring, cases would get hung up on the edge, stopping the machine at almost the top of the stroke, I'd have to back the handle up to clear the jam, and what you'd expect to happen did.

I love my 550B, but now I prefer to deprime and size on a single stage press and use the Dillon for priming, powder charging, and bullet seating/crimping.

Cayoot
11-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Have you considered the Hornady L-N-L progressive that is very versitle? I love mine.

I second that! The dies are easy as pie to change and with the Hornady powder check die in place I never worry about no charge or double charge issues. The only thing I ever wanted changed about the LNL was to get a primer warning system like on the Dillon. I found a used Dillon primer warning on anti-gun bay and bought that. A little bit of the reloaders secret weapon (duct tape) and it was fitting just dandy on my Hornady LNL. I've been using it for the last 4 years (the primer warning system...I've been using my LNL for over 10 years).

I love the machine....I think it is as versitle if not more versitle than the Dillions (I've used the Dillions, they are fine machines too) but cheaper to buy and much, much cheaper to do quick changes with. I also have broken several parts on my old LNL (my fault entirely) and believe that Hornady has warrenty/customer service as good or better than Dillions. I just call them up and describe what I broke or lost and it is in my mail box within 4 days. They have never charged me and even send extra small parts (decapping pins, retaining springs, primer tube bases--I'm clumsey and tend to loose things alot!) when I ask for them just so I don't have to be out of production if it ever happens again.

I load both handguns and rifles for myself, my 26 year old daughter and my two sons (ages 20 and 23). We go through alot!!!!

Consider the LNL....it is a great and dependable reloader, even more so when you start compareing prices of purchasing and converting!:drinks:

FISH4BUGS
11-23-2006, 09:58 PM
IThis is the first place on the internet where I have read of firearms being blown up with ammo loaded on a 550B. I would like to hear some documented cases if possible.
Larry Gibson

OK....documentation is here. Many years ago, I had (and still have) a 550B and was loading 9mm cast 124gr bullets with 231 powder.....my normal submachingun loads. Somehow I got an unprocessed military case mixed in with the commercial ones (I sort commercial from military - someday I will process the 5000 or so military 9mm's) , and when the primer didn't seat, in a classic brain fart move, I just pulled out the offending case with the jammed primer in it, and replaced it with another. I resized and primed the new case and moved on.
Unfortunatley there was a case in station #2. I did NOT move the shell plate forward and clear the shell plate of all cases before I replaced the offending case in station #1. Guess what? DOUBLE CHARGE.
The bad news: I blew up a S&W 76 submachingun. It blew out the magazine, chewed up the base of the barrel, and damaged the bolt. The good news is that the 76 is built like a tank. Their receiver tube is THICK steel, not muffler pipe.
A new Scott Andrey bolt and barrel and I was on my way. I also blew up a S&W 3914 the same way. That one was totaled with a bent slide and cracked frame.
I can assure you that I do not have brain farts any more while reloading. If I discover an unprocessed military case in station #1 and cannot prime it, alarms go off in my head, and I throw it out and completely clear the shell plate by completing all the other stations and advancing it before putting in a new case and starting over.
Other that that, the 550 is still my favorite. I load a ton on it for all my subguns and handguns. I am just careful as hell. Everyone should be carefull all the time when reloading anyway. I just got caught.

EDK
11-23-2006, 10:08 PM
The Square Deal was nice, but I love the 550. That said, if I only did 1 pistol caliber I'd be happy with the Square Deal. If I was rich, I'd have one for each pistol caliber.

Using dies from anyone but Dillon is guaranteed to make you crazier---tried my Lymans against the Dillon guy's advice and called back the next day to order the Dillons.

I heard horror stories about double charges and then saw a nicely engraved colt clone come apart from a double charge at a Cowboy shoot. "pop--pop--KAPOW!" They found the top strap a long ways away. About the same time, someone volunteered how he and his pal blew up SEVERAL colt clones in an article in SHOOT magazine.

Regardless of your choice, Dillon service and products are first class.

:castmine:

imashooter2
11-23-2006, 11:17 PM
And note that I didn't say the Dillon 550 was blowing up guns. The 550 does exactly what it is supposed to do... drop a charge of powder every time a case activates the measure. The users blow up the guns by not advancing the manual index.

robertbank
11-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Well until I read it I would not have believed it possible to double charge a 9MM case. Even my lowest charge of 4 gr of 231 under my 125 gr lead bullets is an easy peek. Surprsied 8 grains wouldn't be just about over flowing the case. Well have to drop two charges in a case to see what room would be left. That said it is possible but boy you have to really try not to pay attention to what you are doing.

Take Care

Bob

mike in co
11-24-2006, 12:14 AM
there is a simple answer to prevent double charges......ALWAYS PICK A LOAD THAT EXCEEDS 50% OF YOUR CASE CAPACITY !......

and it does not matter what press it is doen on.

( and now you know why i like rifle powders in rifle case.....)

KS1911
11-24-2006, 12:26 AM
And note that I didn't say the Dillon 550 was blowing up guns. ..... The users blow up the guns by not advancing the manual index.

but you did say that:

Just about every blown up gun story I read on the net starts with ammo from a Dillon 550.
which prompts me to say:

There are several presses that have manual indexing, the "problem" isn't specific with the Dillon 550b. I'm sure through the years there have been many kabooms related to using single stage presses also. I believe the main problem with any reloading operation is losing concentration, followed closely by ignorance of reloading techniques. To insinuate the owners of Dillon 550's have a higher rate of kabooms is irresponsible. Now to point out that a manual indexing machine or even reloader using a single stage press run a higher chance of making a mistake if not paying attention as compared to a auto-indexing machine I believe would be more appropriate.

I believe that you and I actually agree on this but I felt that the point needed to be made that there are other presses that pose the same "problem". And yes, I am a Dillon 550b owner but I have been looking (wishing?) at going to a 650 for the auto index feature. I also have disassembled 50+ rounds before because I wasn't sure if.....
However, I would do the same again regardless of what press I loaded the rounds on.

Lloyd Smale
11-24-2006, 05:38 AM
problem with that is economics. i shot about 500-1000 45acps a week and if i had to use a powder that did that it would just cost to much. I can get quite a few rounds out of a keg of bullseye!!! As far as only an idiot would double charge on a 550 add me to the list as its happened to me. Good thing is the gun took it. Its not hard to get a little complacent when you have a 5 gallon pail full of brass to load up. IVe got a powder check on my 550 now but still prefer to do 45s on the square deal as it saves time. I run 5 different square deals and it amazes me how much slower the 550 seams when i use it for the odd ball stuff. But then in defense of it it allways amazes me how much more solid it feels then a square deal. There both good presses and have there place on my bench. BUt to be honest if i could only have one it would be the 550. Its just more versitile. In some cases the manual index is nice.
there is a simple answer to prevent double charges......ALWAYS PICK A LOAD THAT EXCEEDS 50% OF YOUR CASE CAPACITY !......

and it does not matter what press it is doen on.

( and now you know why i like rifle powders in rifle case.....)

FISH4BUGS
11-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Well until I read it I would not have believed it possible to double charge a 9MM case. Even my lowest charge of 4 gr of 231 under my 125 gr lead bullets is an easy peek. Surprsied 8 grains wouldn't be just about over flowing the case. Well have to drop two charges in a case to see what room would be left. That said it is possible but boy you have to really try not to pay attention to what you are doing.
Bob
..............and I wasn't paying attention at all. It is easy to get comfortable with the 550B and simply seat the bullet in station #3 by feel and never look at it. I was paying more attention to how the ram felt when it seated a primer than anything else. Even if it overflowed with powder, I wouldn't have looked at it anyway.
I now LOOK into the case before I place the bullet on top to seat. I can SEE a double charge if it is there. I would rather slow down production a bit than blow up any more guns.
Idiot? You bet......but I learned my lesson....the hard way! I could have destroyed a $7,000 submachine gun. As it was it cost $300 to fix. S&W sold me a new 3914 for cost because they must have felt sorry for me. Lessons learned the hard way are those you NEVER forget.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-24-2006, 07:54 AM
After listening to all the commentary, I'm once again reminded of why I prefer a press with an automatic advance. I never liked the potential for double charging on my 550, hated the manual advance and despised tedious process of adjusting the contrary powder measure. On top of that, I always wanted one more station for a powder check I never had with the 550.

The Hornady LnL has a silky sweet manual advance, a quick and easy to adjust powder measure that handles extruded powders much better than the Dillon measure I had with the 550. The LnL bushings make changing from caliber to caliber a quick an easy job. The automatic advance prevents double charging because the rounds are kicked out so they can't cycle through twice.

The extra die station for a powder check function is there. I have a RCBS lockout die in the extra station and though it's never activated, I certainly enjoy the comfort of knowing it'll warn me of low and high powder charges. The press also is a bit larger, with more room for my hands to get in and out when I'm doing changovers or inserting bullets. Changeover to another caliber only requires a $25.00 shellplate and enough LnL bushings for the die set you're adding, so it's not expensive. No powder measure is needed, as you can adjust the original quickly enough not to be inconvenienced. I just record my settings and it takes two minutes or less to return to the exact powder setting.

Last, the LnL is a good bit faster than the 550 because of it's automatic advance feature. It will produce rounds per hour rates that match the 650 with no problem at all. Adding a casefeeder will increase production rates to around a 1000/hour. Not sure of the exact figure, refilling the primers and powder is the limiting factor once you get above 650 rph.

I don't know current prices, but the LnL without a casefeeder sells for about what the 550 sells for without a casefeeder. My experiences with warranty service with both companies is it's about the same between the two companies. I've had both companies send me parts I broke due to hamfistedness when I was new to the presses and would have bought.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Dillon's, would still buy their products if they have an item I'm in need of, but for the money, the Hornady LnL's more modern design matches the performance of a 650 with greater convenience at the price point of a 550. And yes, they do have powder through case expansion for pistol.

As far as the Square Deal goes, it's a nice press for pistol and affordable, but the nasty knock is if you decide you want to reload rifle, you can't keep your dies if you decide to sell the press.

imashooter2
11-24-2006, 10:01 AM
but you did say that:

which prompts me to say:

There are several presses that have manual indexing, the "problem" isn't specific with the Dillon 550b. I'm sure through the years there have been many kabooms related to using single stage presses also. I believe the main problem with any reloading operation is losing concentration, followed closely by ignorance of reloading techniques. To insinuate the owners of Dillon 550's have a higher rate of kabooms is irresponsible. Now to point out that a manual indexing machine or even reloader using a single stage press run a higher chance of making a mistake if not paying attention as compared to a auto-indexing machine I believe would be more appropriate.

I believe that you and I actually agree on this but I felt that the point needed to be made that there are other presses that pose the same "problem". And yes, I am a Dillon 550b owner but I have been looking (wishing?) at going to a 650 for the auto index feature. I also have disassembled 50+ rounds before because I wasn't sure if.....
However, I would do the same again regardless of what press I loaded the rounds on.

Irresponsible?:roll:

I made a factual statement of my experience. Reasons for my experience? Hard to say. I do hang out on gun boards where posters are making large quantities of handgun ammo for competition. Those posters like to make their ammo fast, so they use progressives. And since the 550 is the most popular manual indexing progressive in service today, well there you go.

Rate refers to occurrences per user. I have not conducted a scientific study, nor am I aware of any organization that has. Nevertheless, I feel comfortable saying that Dillon 550 owners have a higher rate of kabooms than reloaders at large. Yes, you can double charge with a single stage. Hell, I don't see how, but I would be willing to say it is within the realm of possibility that you could double charge on an auto advance progressive. But it is easier, and therefore more likely, to double charge on a manual index progressive (of which, the 550 is the most common example). You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

FISH4BUGS
11-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Irresponsible?:roll:
Nevertheless, I feel comfortable saying that Dillon 550 owners have a higher rate of kabooms than reloaders at large.

You could be right. But it could also be because : 1) Shooters that use reloads in general and shoot a lot more have a higher chance of a kaboom. 2) More 550B's are used in reloading than anything else 3) Most shooters that load in quantity use the 550B. ERGO: the 550B is probably overrepresented in kabooms.
Regardless of the reasons, it points up to the REQUIREMENT of care in reloading. I think EVERY kaboom with reloads I have ever known of was due to "operator error".
SAFETY SAFETY and SAFETY are the three watchwords.

robertbank
11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Just so you understand my own Kaboom came from the way I was setting my powder measure at the start of a long reloading session with .45acp. Pure operator error using a method that failed in the number of checks and balances. Had nothing to do with manual indexing but everything to do with being in a hurray and trying to get the powder measure set quickly.

Changed my routine! Like my father - in - law always said, "Anyone can get lost it just takes a damn fool to stay lost."

With my Dillon 550B set up now the way I have changing to another brand would not make much sense now (Six different powder measure/tool head combos) but for the price difference the LNL appears to be a better buy now. I don't know what a base LNL goes for your way but it might be a better deal than the Square-Deal.

Take Care

Bob