PDA

View Full Version : combination gun update

justashooter
03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
some of you might remember reading a thread in which i described a combination shotgun/rifle:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=99768&highlight=remington+rider+insert

to update, i have run this gun on the range, staying on 12" steel at up to 300 yards with 225 grain castings (roger's better bullets) over 9.8 grains unique at about 1150 fps (chrono'd). snow on the ground prevented calling of missed shots and hanging of paper, but i am of the impression that i need a bit more velocity to keep sight graduations accurate. a few loads of 28 grains 3031 made 1600 fps, at the limit of the action strength and too fast for the sights, but probably a good deer load, after tuning for accuracy. no sign of leading.

the good news is that i have found a good condition 1873 trapdoor stripped barreled action ($10 at a local auction), so am in the process of adding another caliber. at same auction i bought 400+ castings from montana precision for less than 20 cents each. mostly the 480 grain spire point type .458.

a caliper indicates 1.050" at barrel breach, with a strait taper to .730 at muzzle of the 32" barrel. receiver stub will be left in place, rough grinding, and then turning at .900 for .065 from baseline to form the "rim", then to 2.5" from breach face at .800" to form the chamber insert, then bore diameter minus 2 thou for 8", then 10 thou clearance to allow for rubber hammer windage correction should the insert fail to print to POA. near the muzzle will be an area of bore diameter minus 2 thou, then reduction for 11/16 or 5/8 NF thread to accept a tapered muzzle nut. a pinned extractor section will be made and fitted by hand.

worries? this barrel appears to have been mandrel forged, and there are a few indications in the bore, as well as on the exterior of barrel. reducing exterior may just clean up the indications, leaving a sound forge welding. reducing the barrel wall thickness to .135" or so wil prohibit hot rodding, but the shotgun barrel should ensure safety even if the forge seams split. 11 grains of unique is reported to give 1050 fps with a 500 grain at just over 10K psi, so i should be able to get up into 1100-1200 fps and have reasonably correct sight gradations. just have to find a machinist to do the cutting.

off in neverland: wonder where i can get a 25-35 blank of suitable length?

on the horizon? another pair of trapdoor barrels en route for use in a double shotgun conversion which i already have vintage rifle sights for and will be basing on a stahl 16 gauge with greener crossbolt and exterior hammers. will be cutting to 24" and jug choking, adding rifle sights, and attempting to regulate at 100 yards.