PDA

View Full Version : Adding elasticity to lube

warf73
03-02-2011, 03:17 AM
I’ve got a lube that is working great in my 480ruger but while my sized and lubed boolits wait to be loaded the lube starts to chip away from the lube groves if I’m a little rough with them.

My lube is a half gallon of every candle wax that has been burnt in my house for the past 2 years. My first thought when I melted the different masses down was to mix it in with something else as wax filler when needed. On a whim I hand dipped 50 .476” boolits to just see how good this wax/lube handled be shot down a bore, and then from there decide what to use it for. As of right now and 100+ rounds later I can run a dry patch down the barrel after a range session and all I get is specks of lead and a shinny bore behind it.
I want the wax now lube to be more elastic, what would be a good additive to make that happen?

I’ve thought about ATF or even STP but not sure if those would do the trick, what do you all think?

This lube smells like flowers when shot lol my dad give me static about shooting a manly gun that smells like a woman out of a bubble bath.

Warf

stubshaft
03-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Add lanolin to help it adhere to the gorrves and make it more pliable.

captaint
03-02-2011, 03:52 AM
I would think that adding a decent quantity of liquid Alox will do the trick. enjoy Mike

Maven
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Lanolin, ATF, or petrolatum (Vaseline) will do the job, but it's a cut & try proposition.

randyrat
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes Lanolin or Alox should work. I sell Lanolin so I hate to say it but; Try Alox first if you have it on hand....
Both are actually a bullet lube and have good qualities. Start with a little at a time until you reach your goal.
Be careful of hydrous Lanolin the water in it will eventually evaporate and change your lube quality. I sell Anhydrous (pure no water, USP)

rockrat
03-02-2011, 11:42 AM
You could all some Bullplate to it also

thegreatdane
03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
+1 for Vaseline

geargnasher
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Vaseline will make it softer, but lanolin will make it pliable and sticky. You might need a little of both, like a couple tablespoons to a pound.

Gear

cajun shooter
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM
The biggest problem you face is that you will never be able to duplicate your lube even if it is the best you have ever used. Those candles could have been from many different waxes such as beeswax, soy, bayberry and so on. For now though I would go with the adding of lanolin as it will do many things to help out your lube. I have never used my lube which contains a large amount of lanolin and had leading of any kind.

buck1
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I have done something like this and Vaseline worked well. It took a bit more than I thought.....Buck

warf73
03-09-2011, 05:00 AM
The biggest problem you face is that you will never be able to duplicate your lube even if it is the best you have ever used. Those candles could have been from many different waxes such as beeswax, soy, bayberry and so on.

I agree with the statement about duplicating this lube but it a half gallon and I've not mixed in the Vaseline yet.
Not sure how many sticks a half gallon of lube will make but I'm sure it’s more than enough for a few years to come. This lube is for my hand dipping not my mass production lube that is in my star. I hand dip all my rifle boolits and now all my .476 boolits.

Thanks guys for the suggestions I'll try the Vaseline as it’s the cheapest.

warf73
03-09-2011, 05:01 AM
I have done something like this and Vaseline worked well. It took a bit more than I thought.....Buck

Was the mix 3:1 or more?

warf73
05-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks guys I added 2 teaspoon of Vaseline to 2 cups of lube and the it worked great. The lube isnt chipping off anymore after being sized and setting around.