PDA

View Full Version : New guy checking in

spitstickler
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I've been lurking around here for a while and finally taking the dive into casting. I've been reloading for about 4 years now and can't believe how much I enjoy it. I almost enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting, which seems really strange to my wife.

Anyway, I've got a little bit of starter equipment ordered and will try my hand at casting for my 1911 first. I ordered a Lee 2-cavity mold and have started buying various lead off of ebay until my 30-day waiting period here expires and I can buy stuff directly of the exchange here.

I've got my father-in-law excited about this venture as well. I was talking to him last weekend about it and he told me he had a job when he was in college back in the 60s at a newspaper where he melted down tired linotype into ingots. And one summer he helped a plumber where he said all the cast iron stuff they worked on used lead to seal up the joints. He's starting the scavenging process too. Should be some good bonding time around the smelting pot in the future!

Just wanted to say howdy and thanks to all the folks the freely share their knowledge here on the forum.

357shooter
03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Welcome to casting and the forum. It's a blast, and maybe a bit addictive as well.

Good luck with the lead and enjoy it all. It seems like the learning never stops, and that's what is part of the fun.

I'm with you, casting and handloading are as much fun as shooting. Like having 3 hobbies in 1!

03-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Welcome.

Be sure to read all the stickies. The archive (link at bottom of page) is invaluable. Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and Reloading Handbook are must haves.

Read the Leementing threads and posts, that way when the mould arrives you'll know that the first thing you will need to do is toss the directions. After Leementing, they cast excellent boolits.