PDA

View Full Version : Anschutz 22 precision

Digger
03-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Ran into an old friend at the range today and he was shooting a Anschutz 22 lr left hand bolt , what a set up ! as I had never seen any thing like that up close before .....
I feel like a cave man shooting my common pistol rounds now , ... talk about precision shooting !
It looks like it has everything possible on it , right down to the adjustable cheek piece , he had it sitting on a three legged stand in the front and adjustable butt rest on the rear .
Watching him shoot .... after every shot he would adjust the stand's individual leg post as each one had a screw set pad and fire again for results .
He was apparently testing different loads from Lapua for the best batch or lot and write down the # for each one for later preference .... when your talking groups at fifty yds the size of a nickle or less and get picky when the flyer is 1/4 in out ......:shock:
Maybe standard for some people but this cave man caster was impressed to say the least ...

Always learning ..... digger

Longwood
03-24-2011, 05:29 AM
I really want one of their bolt action 22 pistols.

Bret4207
03-24-2011, 07:38 AM
We sued to see quite a few of the Anschutz 22's back when Savage was handling them in the 70's. Beautiful pieces of machinery.

shotman
03-24-2011, 09:23 AM
It should have been ONE hole at 50yds Mine will all day long and its just a standard 22 I have struck 17 matches at 25 yds and cousin beat me by one, That is with federal 22s like you buy in store

Herb in Pa
04-02-2011, 11:19 PM
It should have been ONE hole at 50yds Mine will all day long and its just a standard 22 I have struck 17 matches at 25 yds and cousin beat me by one, That is with federal 22s like you buy in store

Ya got a bridge you want to sell me????????????

shotstring
04-25-2011, 03:54 AM
That is the nice thing about the net Herb. If it gets too deep to walk through, you can still type and continue to shrink those groups down some.

But hey, I love a good story as well as the next guy.

BruceB
04-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Don't jump too fast, people.

I have a SPORTER-weight Anschutz that gives one-hole fifty-yard groups (five rounds)without any trouble at all. A nickel is not very small. These days, I need a scope to do it ....with selected ammunition. The rifle weighs barely 6.5 pounds un-scoped, but it SHOOTS. Half-inch groups at 50 are not unusual for this rifle.

Remember too, that many smallbore matches are fired at 100 yards, and changeable wind and lighting make a tough job even worse. Add in the IRON-sight match, and you'll see why atttention to detail is so important. I BELIEVE the 100-yard ten-ring is about one inch in diameter, and these people fire position matches as well as prone...that is, standing, kneeling , and sitting.

The comparison of various makes and lots of .22 LR ammo is standard procedure for match shooters. Once the most-accurate make AND LOT NUMBER is identified, the shooter will buy as many cases of that stuff as he can find (or afford)....that is, cases of 5000 rounds.

.22 competition is a rarefied activity, and to be a competitive small-bore shooter is a very high accomplishment. EVERYTHING is critical at this level, and great lengths are taken to minimize the variables. Shooters often gauge and weigh every single round, and cull ruthlessly if any tiny flaw is found.

The original post reflects a serious shooter doing what is required to reach his best -possible scores.

Claims in some of the posts here are NOT internet BS.

btroj
04-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Bruce is correct. Hang around a dedicated small bore prone shooter and you will see some of the best prone shooters out there.
Takes years of dedicated practice to really become good but these guys are machines when it comes to shooting. It isn't just the rifles, it is the ammo, rifle, and shooter working together.

stubshaft
04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
This is a group shot by a Remington 597 with a Jarvis barrel at 50 Yds with CCI standard velocity ammo. An Anschutz super match is more accurate than this.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-25-2011, 08:59 AM
BTW a nickel is .835"

Stubshaft has got it figured out!

In last years postal match I won first place in the .22 rimfire class with a 10 shot group of .859" from 50 yards with an old Rem 511 nothing special gun!

roysha
04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
"That is the nice thing about the net Herb. If it gets too deep to walk through, you can still type and continue to shrink those groups down some.

But hey, I love a good story as well as the next guy. "

Aesop's fabled SOUR GRAPES!!

Doc Highwall
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I have several Anschutz's and have done a lot of small bore shooting. On the American 100 yard small bore target the aiming black is 8" with a 2" ten ring and a 1" x-ring. The prone metric is 8.250" and does not have an x-ring and the ten ring is 1"

Char-Gar
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Guys... If you have never tried striking matches with a 22 rifle it isn't that hard. You just want the bullet close enough for the heat to ignite the match. That give you a fairly big target area. Hit the match with the bullet and you have a broken match. Match striking with a 22 is an old trick that looks far harder than it is.

I won lots of beer with that trick and nobody ever seemed to catch on.

I started in rifle match shooting at age 12 with a Winchester 75. Two years latter I got a Winchester 52 D bull gun. That rifle was a true sub-MOA rifle with any decent ammo. Most often I shot the Dewar match which was shot at 50 and 100 yards and 50 and 100 meters.

At age 16 I went to the service rifle and over the course fire. Each has it's challenges, but shooting outdoors at 100 meters with a 22 is fully as hard as shooting a much greater distances with the 03 or Garand.

Doc Highwall
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Chargar, I think because the 22 match ammo is only going 1080 fps or slower which is less then half the speed of an 30-06 it is makes it four times as hard.
This makes follow through a lot more important as it takes more then twice as long for the bullet to exit the barrel.

Herb in Pa
05-16-2011, 10:57 AM
My question on the subject was the ability to shoot consistant one hole groups @ 50 yards using run of the mill ammo on a consistant basis...not just the occassional "wallet group"....I shot a .389" group at 100 yards ONCE......doesn't mean it will do it again. Anyway, I had my square action 54 out the other day to test a lot of ammo..........here's the results at 50 yards.......adjusting the tuner as I went.
Just about anything will hammer @ 25 yards.

Char-Gar
05-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Herb... "These days "run of the mill" 22 ammo is pretty sorry stuff. Throw into the mix that most 22 rifles and pistols show definite preferences for different ammo, even lot to lot.

The bottom line is a high quality 22 LR rifles is capable of one hole 5 shot, 50 yard groups on a regular basis with ammo the rifle likes. It should be noted that the wind plays hob with 22 LR ammo and it takes a good shot to consistently get the type of groups we are talking about.

Doc..The shooters ability to "dope the wind" gets to be very critical in outdoor match shooting with the 22. This for the reasons you mentioned. Outdoor 22 match shooting is not child's play!

Herb in Pa
05-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, it's probably as cheap to shoot centerfire anymore. Finding the right lot of ammo can be a real problem.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Herb in Pa, your square action 54 is the 2000 series, I have two of them along with a round action and I like them.

stubshaft
05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it's probably as cheap to shoot centerfire anymore. Finding the right lot of ammo can be a real problem.

LOL - It's CHEAPER to shoot centerfire. Black box Eley runs 22.00 in my neck of the woods. :veryconfu

Herb in Pa
05-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Herb in Pa, your square action 54 is the 2000 series, I have two of them along with a round action and I like them.

Yeah, I've got a 54 square, a 54 round, a 54 hornet and a 64 mpr.......guess I like Annies too!

Petrov
05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I wanted to get a 54 action, realized that I wont be able to shoot it accurately because I will be shaking from crying over how much I paid for it every time I held it.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Petrov, have you ever thought how well you might shoot with a gun that was made to the highest standards? I know that when I go to a match that my ammo is my biggest concern, not that I will not shoot a 400 score but how many X's.

The 100 yard small-bore target has a 2" 10 ring and a 1" X ring. If your gun can only shoot a 3/4" ten shot group at 100 yards that only gives you a little more then 1/8" error plus bullet diameter to only shoot a 10 instead of a X.

My record at 100 yards is 400-37X's that I have shot several times, the first time I did it I placed third, yes third.

What gets me is a lot of people think because the recoil and muzzle blast is much less then high-power that it is easy as long as they buy a good gun and ammo.
I found out how hard it was when I started to shoot small-bore prone and position shooting and I had to work at it and it payed off in spades as my high-power went way up.

The deceiving part of small-bore vs high-power is the barrel time due to the fact that the match 22's are going max 1080 fps and the high-power is going 2600 fps and faster. It makes you learn follow through and wind reading.

Wind drift is linear at a given distance for a bullet. Example, 22Lr match ammo has approx 4" of wind drift at 100 yards with a full value wind, which means each
1-mph of wind moves the bullet .400" making wind reading skills a must.

Here are three targets I shot at 100 yards prone with a scope and a sling, no bi-pods or sandbag rests. The two white ones with black rings are the exact same size as the official 100 yard small-bore target made with reversed colors for shooting in the evening in order to be able to see the bullet holes and both score 100-10X's. The black one is the official 100 yard small-bore target and this is 50 shots rapid fired that I do in order to build stamina and a good position and is always shot with practice ammo like Federal 711B 1080 fps MV.
Can not post pictures will try later.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Here are the three pictures.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_31404dd1c8ca4f916.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=863)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_31404dd1c8ca6aaa7.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=864)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_31404dd1c8ca7eecf.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=865)

Petrov
05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
I am still considering one, when I shoot at those targets with my CZ even with the small ghost ring there is still too much empty space. I would get the annie for the great adjustable sights alone.

shotstring
05-26-2011, 03:16 AM
"That is the nice thing about the net Herb. If it gets too deep to walk through, you can still type and continue to shrink those groups down some.

But hey, I love a good story as well as the next guy. "

Aesop's fabled SOUR GRAPES!!

Hardly a case of sour grapes. My point would be that NO ONE can shoot one hole groups at 50 yards all day long with any gun at any skill level with regular bargain 22 ammo because the ammunition is incapable of doing it without severe occasional flyers, not to mention the overall lack of consistency. Claiming to be able to do it with regular store bought Federal ammo is just silly, and saying so is not a reflection on anyone's skill with a rifle - just their storytelling skills.

stubshaft
05-26-2011, 04:14 AM
That shotstring would be the "holy grail" of 22 shooting. Just think no more ordering 1075fps lots of Eley EPS off of machine #5 at $24.00 for 50 anymore.

Doc Highwall
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
When I got so I could shoot a 400 score pretty much all the time one of the other shooters said to me "Welcome To The Ammo Chase". I know what it means when you have shot a 400 prone but it comes down to X count as to where you place.

The targets above were all shot prone at 100 yards with Federal. The 50 shot target was shot with my practice ammo 711B 1080 fps and the two ten shot groups were shot in competition with 1000B 1080 fps. I used the 711B for barrel warmers and practice as the velocity, bullet lube and powder was the same but the quality control was different. I shot a lot of 400's with the 711B with about 30X's average but I would get ones that would drop down into the nine ring at 100 yards so I used it for 100 yard practice. At 50 feet the bad ones would still hit the dot on the A36 target so I use it indoors for matches.

cajun shooter
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I will say this about 22 accuracy. While working as one of the range instructors at the Baton Rouge,La. Pistol Range(old location) we received a call to ask for some range time. The request came from the coach of the USA Olympic Rifle Team. They were in the area for a fund raising. These young men and women were shooting what we referred to as space rifles and nothing but cases of Eley and Lapua ammo in the van. I had a Anschutz at that time that was my one shot squirrel gun and was under the impression that it was unbeatable on the range. I could not have had more fun for the two days they were with us. First it was a thrill to see the young people taking an interest in the shooting sports and the skill level that they displayed at the 50 yard line was beyond any I have seen. They made us Honorary members and left plenty of ammo behind. They would also shoot a stage and there was always boxes of ammo with 3-6 rounds left that they would not take with them. I had the pleasure of shooting one of the rifles and if you held as you should, the shot was in the center. Great Fun and I have always tried to give to that cause.

Longwood
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I have owned several rifles and pistols made in Europe and have been impressed with every one of them. They do get boring to shoot after a while if you don't shoot them in competition. They never miss. That can get boring in a hurry if you are not shooting targets or varmints.
I had a Wiehrhau Olympic pellet rifle that got stolen from me that would put them all in one hole at 10 M. That's one hole the size of the pellet, guaranteed or they will repair it for you. The rifle had a heavy barrel with a match grade pistol grip stock similar to the center 22 in the photo.
I still have a Fienwerkbau pistol that will do the same.
I had a Thompson Contender that I bought a couple of 22 barrels to shoot smallbore silhouette and with a scope mounted, the 10" barrel would shoot under 1" groups at 100 yard with several different types of match ammo. I had a couple groups that a quarter would completely cover. I settled on the GreenTag CCI for matches mainly because it was the cheapest for how accurate it was.
I was looking at a Anschutz 22 Pistol three days ago but when I priced some match ammo I decided I don't need one.:shock:
Everyone should own at least one fine European gun in their lifetime.

Hip's Ax
06-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I compete in a lot of different types of rifle matches. Everything from 1000 yard (with either a 6.5-284 or black powder in 45-90) to 10 meter air and smallbore is the most challanging of them all. Yes, the rifle and ammo must be up to par but your personal endurance is key. Shoot an across course high power match and you shoot usually 58 or 88 rounds. Long range, 60 round plus sighters, air 60 shots plus sighters and your day is done.

Smallbore prone is 160 record shots per day and two days or even 4 days. Easy to sleep 10 or 12 hours after one of those weekends.

BTW, I have a few Anschutz prone and positon rifles and they are very, very accurate but get to the master level in prone where its time to step up to a custom prone rifle built by the big guys and it does not matter who made the reciever. In PA you see many, many Winchester 52 C,D or E prone rifles as well as Anschutz. I shoot a Remington 37 all out custom prone rifle and it is as good as any of them. I have shot a 200-20 at 100 with that rifle.

BTW, we test ammo at 100 yards with a scope, anything that can shoot 1" goes in the maybe pile, anything that shoots less you buy all you can find and right away before its all gone.

David todd
06-12-2011, 02:46 AM
I have several Anschutz match rifles, one of them a prototype.
My father was involved in the ammo business for 30 years , and his company had the savage /Anschutz franchise for Canada.
The first thing I say when someone says they can light matches is " can you do it 50 times in a row?"
BR50 is a game I shot for a few years - even won the odd match, 50 shots with a possible score of 5,000.
The bull is under .50 and your bullet has to be all the way inside the ring to score
the 100 points - pretty tough.
The top shooters used to run about 4500/5000 and up.
I have also shot and won national matches in 3 position, and have compet4d at 200 years with my smallbore guns - I love 'em!
We were out the other evening , and after I set up the trigger on my buddy's C.I.L.310 ( 64 actioned Anschutz repeater) he put 5 into 1/2" at 100 with it, but a good match rifle should be able to do that for 10 shots .
David

David todd
06-12-2011, 02:51 AM
I compete in a lot of different types of rifle matches. Everything from 1000 yard (with either a 6.5-284 or black powder in 45-90) to 10 meter air and smallbore is the most challanging of them all. Yes, the rifle and ammo must be up to par but your personal endurance is key. Shoot an across course high power match and you shoot usually 58 or 88 rounds. Long range, 60 round plus sighters, air 60 shots plus sighters and your day is done.

Smallbore prone is 160 record shots per day and two days or even 4 days. Easy to sleep 10 or 12 hours after one of those weekends.

BTW, I have a few Anschutz prone and positon rifles and they are very, very accurate but get to the master level in prone where its time to step up to a custom prone rifle built by the big guys and it does not matter who made the reciever. In PA you see many, many Winchester 52 C,D or E prone rifles as well as Anschutz. I shoot a Remington 37 all out custom prone rifle and it is as good as any of them. I have shot a 200-20 at 100 with that rifle.

BTW, we test ammo at 100 yards with a scope, anything that can shoot 1" goes in the maybe pile, anything that shoots less you buy all you can find and right away before its all gone.
I have a 37 as well!
I asked my father one time just how accurate it was, and he admitted it was as good as the Anschutz free rifle he traded it for , but it is in a prone stock, and the previous owner ( bronze medal winner at the 1956 Olympics) needed a three position gun, so he traded it.
Mine has the Sweeney trigger in it, and the original Remington sights as well.
it's a hoot to shoot!
David