PDA

View Full Version : Slower Powder: AA#5 or Unique

Shiloh
03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Well folks, I was asked today which is a slower powder AA #5 or Unique.
I said AA #5 wa a tad slower, but were close in burning rate.

Upon going to numerous sites, some say AA #5 others Unique. Two sites had no listing for AA #5 at all.

Which is it folks??

Shiloh

wiljen
03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Answer is "It Depends". They are indeed close in burning rate and depending on the cartridge they can reverse positions.

Hardcast416taylor
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
I use both powders, just in differing cartridges. If you were asked which meters best, the answer would be AA #5 hands down thru a measure. I use this stuff in about all my handgun loads sometimes for the metering factor alone, could be why I buy it by 8 lb. jugs.Robert

missionary5155
03-02-2011, 04:26 AM
Good morning
Between the two... it is going to come down to all the other componets involved that change burning caracteristics of that powder in a confined cylinder within the guidelines set by the manufacturer. A heavy boolit may tilt the rate to one over the other.. a primer.. the shape of the brass.. But in the end the two will still be so close it would not matter at all to the intended target.

btroj
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Wljen is, of course, right. Powder speed is dependent upon lots of other factors, it is not a set number.

Char-Gar
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I have shot allot of Unique and AA5. AA5 is a tad slower. Lot variations is not going to change that basic equation.