PDA

View Full Version : Soft Sticky Speed Green

DeepSouth
03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Made some speed green it seems very soft and is very sticky.I used 6oz beeswax to one bottle of Bull plate.I thinks this the correct mix.I would like to make it a little stiffer and was wondering if melting a Crayola crayon or two into the lube would stiffen it up?Would melting JPW down and cooking out the solvents put enough carnuba into the lube to stiffen it up?I live in south Mississippi so it gets pretty hot here.I just wonder if the speed green will be ok in the heat.Now I wouldn't leave a box of shells on the dashboard in August or anything.But if you left the gun in the truck or the shells were out on the bench in the sun while you were sighting in or something like that.I just was wondering if it could stand the heat?

madman
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
The ratio is 3 pounds bees wax to 1 btl bullplate is it not.? I bought my speed green straight from Bullshop. Great people to deal with, I just got some sprue lube, it came with a new mold from Sweednelson it works great.

I found the post by Bullshop he posted 3 to 1 Beeswax to bullplate by weight. Man was I way off. sorry.

Bullshop
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
We add 2 oz carnauba per 1 lb of speed green lube for a much stiffer mix.
I would stay away from the crayola stuff as I dont know what is in it.
I have been buying my pure carnauba from member Randyrat at a very good price.
He is not hard to find here and I think he is a vendor sponsor.
I have found that the bees wax from different parts of the country will produce different hardness of the lube. If perhaps your wax is softer than what we use it will be OK to simply add more bees wax. Up to 50 % added bees wax over the 3/1 formula will be fine and still have the lubricating quality needed to prevent leading although it may then require added heat to flow well from your sizer.
BTW we also get our bees wax from Randyrat.
OH and one more thing I should mention. Some folks are melting the bees wax and using a liquid volume measurement for the weight like in a measuring cup. This is wrong and may produce a softer lube than intended. The formula is by actual weight of both components. I use a postal scale we got at Sam's club for the weighing.

nanuk
03-01-2011, 10:07 PM
+2 on the Sponsors.

I ordered some stuff from Randyrat, AND some lube products from the BullShop

looking forward to its arrival

PbHurler
03-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I recently mixed a batch of Speed Green myself...and also noted it was a little too soft (for my liking & conditions) I added a mear 1/4 oz (weight) of carnauba to the batch and it stiffened it up nicely.

randyrat
03-02-2011, 09:14 AM
You guys are too kind, Thank you!

SPEED GREEN= 3 parts of beeswax to 1 part bull shop sprue plate lube BY WEIGHT

I noticed a friend of mine adds a little carnauba when the summer heat comes on and he saves the standard batch for all other times of the year.

One thing I would like to add, Beeswax will loose some weight as it ages, some water does evaporate. My wax is fresh so I add extra in all packages. I've never measured water loss, but I know it as a fact.
This MAY have something to do with the the softness or hardness in different parts of the country. This could have some affect on your lube. Of course, there are differences in beeswax in different areas also.

Recluse
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
You guys are too kind, Thank you!

You've earned that stellar reputation, Randy.

For those who haven't ordered from Randy, I'll tell you right here and now that his beeswax is the most consistent of quality and pureness of any beeswax I've ever bought.

We're fortunate to have Vendor/Sponsors like Randy and Bullshop here.

:coffee:

John Ross
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Does Bullshop sell Bull Plate by the quart or gallon instead of just the little bottles?

DragoonDrake
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes just talk to him.