PDA

View Full Version : suggestions, small square mold to use with hardness tester.

tackstrp
03-01-2011, 01:05 AM
just got my Cabine tree hardness tester. Have some lino type in orginal form and some 63 % tIn lead bars for test comparsions. However siting here trying to come up with someting to use to make a small square,for testing only. Could be some kind of cookie or kitchen stuff that could be used.

Brain drawing a blank. Neat tool.

bumpo628
03-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Drill a hole with a hole saw in a block of hardwood. Use a chisel or screwdriver to break out the plug. Not square, but easy to make.

calaloo
03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
I use crown caps (like from a beer bottle). Take the plastic seal out and ladle the alloy in.

Bret4207
03-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I've been using my Cabine Tree for 10 years or so and never found a need for special ingots. What exactly is the issue you are having?

WILCO
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Brain drawing a blank.

Use a box end wrench. Hold flat and fill it up. Knock out slug when cool. Done.

tackstrp
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I've been using my Cabine Tree for 10 years or so and never found a need for special ingots. What exactly is the issue you are having?

just learning and wanted to have an easy clean flat sample to test . Gave away one cavity lee mold few months ago . that would have been great to use.. just flaten out the nose from round to flat . sure could find a drill bit to do that.

have several flat nose molds, now that i am thinking, could use any of those. to cast a sample for testing. and learning how to use. Helps to read the insturctions. :)

tackstrp
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
bottle caps . i like that idea

Bret4207
03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
As long as you get the point of the tool lined up square, more or less, with the test sample you should have no problem. IOW, as long as the test sample can't slip away from the point you're good to go. I've tested the sides of pointy boolits and it works fine.

tackstrp
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
will try the bottle cap . need something easy to test while in the process of adding lead or tin to the pot. dont want to heat up molds, cast bullets then find to soft or hard. . want to get the mix correct first.