PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with cabin fever?

waksupi
02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
In the past week or so, the yearly cabin fever has started showing up here. We have been lucky, it is showing up a bit later in the year this time around.

The appearance of the affliction is always a joy for the staff here. [smilie=1:

Blowing off steam here isn't all that good, as you will feel bad about it in a month or so. I know I have a hard time avoiding it.

I deal with it at home, by spending time outdoors, fishing, shooting, and just going about life. I cast boolits for the summer, repair fishing and camping gear, and boat equipment.
I make lots of different things, and last week gave a seminar on doing wire inlay into rifle stocks. I try to get together with friends at least once a week.

What do you all do for the winter doldrums?

Bulltipper
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Me and the dog play a lot of cards. He always wins my money...

Finster101
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I just go outside....but it was 83 here today!

oneokie
02-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Cabin Fever? Is that the result of not having a life?

rockrat
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I go out to the man cave and cast boolits, or if its above freezing and little wind, go to the range.

man.electric
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
We combat cabin fever by drinking my wife's home made wine from the previous harvest and acting like kids again. It seems silly, but the taste of summer's fruit can make you feel warm even when it is -20 outside.

*Paladin*
02-28-2011, 10:34 PM
In the past, winter was my reloading season for loading the ammo I'd need for the upcoming spring thru fall. This winter I've added casting to my winter activities. Fortunately, we still get decent days every now and then to get out and shoot and I've also spent a good bit of my weekend time scrounging lead...

wallenba
02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Me and the dog play a lot of cards. He always wins my money...

What do you charge him for dog food?

btroj
02-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I am going to the indoor range tomorrow. Working with a newer shooter.
Luckily our winters usually are mild enough that I can get out to the outdoor range once or twice a month. This year it was different . Only one trip to outdoor range since November.
Luckily we have a decent indoor range that is not too expensive.

Brad

JeffinNZ
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I have a long history of pacing............

Jailer
02-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Luckily, I have taken up casting and swaging and they have both kept me busy this winter. It's a good thing too, I don't care much at all for winter and I usually get pretty grumpy come February/March.

Coyotes kept me busy last winter but they seem to have vanished around here this year.

Cherokee
02-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I cast bullets, load ammo for future use, go to the indoor range once or twice a week. I am using this winter to develop loads for several guns that I will then mass produce on the 650 for summer shooting. Otherwise, read some, and follow several forums.

Doc Highwall
02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I have been using my CAD program to design my reloading dies for case expansion.

waksupi
03-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I feel sorry for you guys down south, with out much, if any winter. Up north, we REALLY appreciate summer!

smoked turkey
03-01-2011, 02:20 AM
Been doing some inside remodeling that includes a new man room in the basement where the reloading happens. Working on my reloading station. I call it that because a reloading bench makes it seem like I should have had it done when my wife thought it was going to be done. That was before Christmas. I didn't make it. Hopefully before long. I then start on our computer area which is kind of our home office. All this keeps me out of trouble except with her.

a.squibload
03-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Cabin fever? I like it in here!

S.R.Custom
03-01-2011, 03:30 AM
This year I took up skiing. Been at it pretty much every weekend since Christmas. I'm actually going to feel bad when the snow starts to melt... :(

lwknight
03-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Cabin fever ?? Man its plowing time around here already.
January was a boogger for sure.

waksupi
03-01-2011, 04:02 AM
This year I took up skiing. Been at it pretty much every weekend since Christmas. I'm actually going to feel bad when the snow starts to melt... :(

You need to visit Montana. Summer is two days of mediocre skiing! You can see people skiing the glaciers most any time of the year.

Sprue
03-01-2011, 05:30 AM
I've got plenty of hobbys that keep me occupied and broke. I got two new 308 rifles and a stainless 223 fluted bolt rifle that I need to work with I've never had a 308 cal till recently.

Then theres Leather Craft that keeps me busy too. I don't make a business out of it I just like to dress the hardware up a bit and make a belt, holster or sheathes. Theres always something to do thats related to the sport.

[note to self] its also time to ship my scuba tanks off for inspection. [/note to self]

I've been learning how to tie knots and learning to make Turks Heads, I find that very interesting and consumes a lot of time. But the worst part is trying to keep the shop clean, thats an endless job. Hmmm what does "clean" mean btw ?

There of 3 of us gun nuts in the area. Two of us have lathes, torches and such.

Then theres the endless mods/upgrades for the toys. Also on fair days I go reclaiming/mining of spent lead bullets at the range. Oh, and I just got back into Ham Radio after a 3 yr layoff.

All of that and plus frequent trips to the Dr Office(s) Gotta keep the Pharmacy and Doctors in business.

All in all I'm ready for some fair wx too, but with that comes mowing season and heck with the Gardening. Get this, I'm on the outskirts of the city, 400 yrds away from the a Major Freeway yet I have dear harvesting on MY crops. It takes little effort frequentcing the road side vegy stands.

Talk about piece of mind!

Isaac
03-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Outside of the household chores that I help the Mrs. with, I try to get into a few projects that I dream up throughout the year.

I'll also attend a few select gun shows and/or spend some Saturdays visiting gun shops. I usually find a deal or two on some used dies and other loading equipment. Cleaning and servicing the new components will usually occupy a few evenings or a Sunday or two. I'll also do some case prep and reloading. Then, there is time spent going throught the safe and wipeing everything down.

Isaac

Bret4207
03-01-2011, 07:28 AM
There's simply no time for cabin fever. Even in the worst weather we're still out and about doing all the necessary things. On the rare truly miserable day it's a relief to hole up and just sit still for awhile. I know there are people who get bored, but that concept is not something I have to deal with. A little spare time would be refreshing.

missionary5155
03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Good morning
Books and research and projects.
But I have never faced a situation where outsdie activity would be deadly either.

Geraldo
03-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I feel sorry for you guys down south, with out much, if any winter. Up north, we REALLY appreciate summer!

We definately have winter in Florida, but it's hard to get cabin fever when the season only lasts three days. 8-)

Jal5
03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Went through the safe recently and made sure everything was cleaned and oiled. Started casting this winter so plenty of projects to do there. Plus there is always reloading chores to get ready for spring. And I did manage three days on the range in Feb. testing out some new loads.

No cabin fever yet...

Just Duke
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Look in the Special Projects section. I have no time to think about boredom.

casterofboolits
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Reorganze and clean the loading room, clean moulds, try to find the missing parts for two of my Star lube sizors (usually use my Magma Lube Master), Inventory my "junk" in case I bite the big one so the wife will have an idea of what to get rid of and it's value. Also clean and organize my man cave so SWMBO will quit looking in and shaking her head

If all else fails, I break out the 1/35 scale models of WW2 tanks, half tracks, trucks, artillary and build something intresting. Have to replace a couple models my seven year old, autistic grand daughter decided to play with. She did a job on a Jagdpanther and a Sherman M4A1.

Just Duke
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
You need to visit Montana. Summer is two days of mediocre skiing! You can see people skiing the glaciers most any time of the year.
I could build you a dog sled.

mroliver77
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
In Ohio it is not so much the cold as it is the rain, mud, dreary, wet, snow one day and rain the next and rarely seeing the sun. It wears on you especially if your bones double as a barometer. My shop is not heated yet so I set up a single stage press on the kitchen counter and have been loading .32 Long. I can shoot right out the back door and have a steel at 60 or so yards and a target backer if I get that energetic. I have been known to set up a table in front of the door and shoot from the kitchen where it is warm. ;)
My sister on the other end of the farm raises feral cats as a pastime so targets of opportunity abound.
Jay

patsher
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
do a lot of sleeping and watching old movies all night

got our days and nights turned around, I think! LOL

gray wolf
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
This winter has been brutal for us, but we try to keep on going. My back has gotten a little worse and Julie had to do the snow blowing the last few times. It's hard to even help bring in the wood for the stove. I do what I can and am happy about that. The dogs are fine, and as usual are a hoot and a half. Ashly the Mal. is great and little Sophie has become a very special friend.
We do what needs to be done around the camp, I have no place to cast in the winter so I just think about it and read everything on the board and soak up the knowledge, and read all the threads. I always stay on top of all the guns and make sure they are ready if needed.
This winter has brought my wife Julie some problems we are trying to get past.
She has suffered with a bad Gum problem in her mouth for a while and the Dentist said her teeth have to come out. She seems to be OK with it, but I can see some times
she is sad about it--I can't blame her. The Maine care said they will pay for the oral surgeon but not for her dentures, They told here to get a blender. Can you imagine that ?
Get a blender, I wanted to put the ******** head in a blender.
So we have been spending much of our time trying to get help with the funds for her denture.
The cheapest we found is about 1,500 for the set. So I got a ways to go.
Other than all that I guess it's been a typical Maine winter, snow , ice and more snow.
We are looking at the spring so we can plant and grow the old veggies in the raised beds.
We still watch the movies from the Library, Did old John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart the other night. We still look forward to anyone passing through Maine on there way to someplace
so we could say hello.
Well men think spring, stay busy and be well.

Sam

firefly1957
03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Caught up on some projects and up to date reading Castboolits now I need the wind to stop blowing it does nothing for my groups.

MT Gianni
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
My work has always been busy in the winter. Summers are ever too short and fall gets the hunting time. Spring is when I get my doldrums, no ice fishing, rivers are brown and high etc. I cast in the spring, load on quiet winter weekends and try to find a day to get my eyes sighted back into a target. I can shoot here when it is cold but not too wet as our range is at the bottom of a long steep hill.

44fanatic
03-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Here in TN, I have a hunting season that runs mid September to mid January, then its fishing followed by Turkey season. Aint no time for Cabin Fever.

Growing up in MT (Helena) I remember the bitter cold. I think I was young and stupid then cause we just dressed for it and headed outside. Ski lift tickets were affordable back then.

MtGun44
03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
It is mapling time! We spend Saturdays gathering and boiling sap, with a picnic
lunch around the boiler at noon. Lots of fun, hard work and fellowship. Great
to get out of the house and do something in the woods this time of year.

Bill

BD
03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm missing cabin fever these days. Any free time I get lately is spent sleeping. I was in the spare room the other day looking for an old router to send out to my daughter and realized the leather project on the table had been sitting untouched for two months.
BD

Rick N Bama
03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
In Ohio it is not so much the cold as it is the rain, mud, dreary, wet, snow one day and rain the next and rarely seeing the sun. It wears on you especially if your bones double as a barometer.

Are you sure you're not talking about N. Alabama? (LOL) That's the way it's been here this winter, just miserable for the most part & my old bones have done a lot of hurting!

It appears that Spring is well on it's way although we're having cool, if not cold, nights, the days the sun shines are nice, 'bout 70* as we speak. Sure can't gripe about that on the 2nd day of March. This time last year, (maybe on the 3rd or 4th), we had snow.

Rick

atr
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I just slowly go nuts and hope I dont totally unravel before spring. I do alot of dreaming about hot summer days working on my property in the Okanogan and swimming in the lakes. I try to shoot at least twice a week and do some casting to replenish the supply.
I am looking forward to getting the garden going in late March and then opening fishing in late April..

waksupi
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I just had some extra winter time entertainment. The plow guy had to work at it to find somewhere to push the latest drop of snow. I had to go pull him out of a snow bank. At least he got things widened out to more than a vehicle width!

Ohio Rusty
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Cabin fever ...... a 12 foot stare in a 10 foot room.
I try to hang out in the garage piddling with stuff, or have small projects I can do to whittle away the days until spring gets here ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

man.electric
03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
If cabin fever is really driving you crazy, start an insane project like I am and rebuild your entire loading setup. My wife and I bought this house three years ago and I set up a small 6 foot bench in the corner to get me going while we settled in. Unfortunately, that room of the basement likes to get wet and the little bench is a continuously cluttered mess and my decision to build an indoor casting station lit a fire under my **** to get a project going.

I currently have the six inch pipe routed outside for my exhaust fan and the old bench relocated to the dry room and the old six foot bench cleaned off and moved to become my casting bench after I build my new bench this weekend. It is amazing what treasures you can find when you organize and move every case, die, press, mold and powder you own.

montana_charlie
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
My remedy for cabin fever is to log on here and start pestering some poster about his lousy spelling, nondescript sentence structure, or his inability to ask an understandable question.

I know they're rare, but you do occasionally see the supposedly nonexistant 'dumb question'.
If I could find one of those at a time when the cabin fever was really gettin' my goat, I might be able to effect a cure that would last all winter.

Ah, well...a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, in a most delightful way...

CM

Blammer
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
cabin fever, hmmm

I have a wife

she tells me when to get outside and do something. :)

Shooter6br
03-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Shoot my air pistol ALOT> also cast alot of bullets

Char-Gar
03-02-2011, 11:27 PM
What is cabin fever? I live in deep South Texas where a cold day is 60 degrees. Today it was 78 and I went to the range for some shooting. I do believe, I would get the hell out of place where I had to deal with long grey cold winters.

9.3X62AL
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
What is cabin fever? I live in deep South Texas where a cold day is 60 degrees. Today it was 78 and I went to the range for some shooting. I do believe, I would get the hell out of place where I had to deal with long grey cold winters.

Charles, you just explained California very succinctly. All the fault of that G-- d--- Rose Parade, every Jan. 1. Everybody back East and up north sees all those palm trees and floats draped with chicas in butt floss, and the place has 700K new Rust Belt Refugees as residents 2 weeks later.

waksupi
03-03-2011, 01:40 AM
My remedy for cabin fever is to log on here and start pestering some poster about his lousy spelling, nondescript sentence structure, or his inability to ask an understandable question.

I know they're rare, but you do occasionally see the supposedly nonexistant 'dumb question'.
If I could find one of those at a time when the cabin fever was really gettin' my goat, I might be able to effect a cure that would last all winter.

Ah, well...a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, in a most delightful way...

CM

Everybody stand back! Charlie has it! [smilie=p:

PatMarlin
03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
A squaw.

calkar
03-03-2011, 02:12 AM
I think Im going to start tinkering with making my own knives, I am so tired of the junk knives that I carry and are in my kitchen. I made a small forge this winter, and found a nice anvil.

calkar
03-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Pat, Please!! Please!! share a link to a good squaw supplier!

Duckiller
03-03-2011, 02:30 AM
I moved to southern California 46 years ago. Except for two summers on the Greenland icecap and one winter in New Hampshire, all while in the Army I have not had to worry about cabin fever. You want REAL cabin fever finish up your work at one radar site on the icecap about 45 minutes after the last plane for three days leaves. Absolutely nothing to do and everything to do it with is packed away. Probably the most boring three days of my life.

geargnasher
03-03-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm not tellin' ya'll where I got my squaw!

Aside from that, building a new shop, finishing the house, working on three cars, working up loads for four different guns, hoping one day I can get back to leatherworking projects, crafts, and decorative metalworking.

Gear

calkar
03-03-2011, 03:10 AM
This put in mind that scene in the movie jeremiah johnson. When he tells his squaw to learn the word YES!. Great figure of a man YES?. You learn that word and we will get along just fine.

PatMarlin
03-03-2011, 03:20 AM
That's a good movie.

dale2242
03-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Doing fretwork on my scrollsaw. This is a jewlry box I made for my grandaughter....dale

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/dale2242/Hunting%20and%20game/Fretwork/IMG_0791.jpg

PatMarlin
03-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow-!

Char-Gar
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Deep South Texas has all the weather advantages of California without the Granola Bar (fruits, nuts and flakes) culture. We are a might heavy with Mexicans (95%), but in due time, so will the rest of the country. So you can get a start on the cultural shift by moving down here. Just don't bring any of your Yankee ways with you. We don't want our laid back life style transformed into a warm hyper Yankee culture.

dragonrider
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Blammer is exactly right, with a wife one does not have time for cabin fever, DAMHIK

Thumbcocker
03-03-2011, 08:00 PM
:veryconfu Shoot six holes in the freezer. It had it coming it was staring at me for days.

waksupi
03-03-2011, 08:48 PM
:veryconfu Shoot six holes in the freezer. It had it coming it was staring at me for days.

Brahahahahhahahahaaaaa!

Hickory
03-03-2011, 09:09 PM
You guys can do what my crazy neighbor does.
He camps out for a weekend every year the middle of February out in the woods without a tent.:holysheep
His theory is that the inside of the house is very inviting for the rest of the winter.

Chiefs50
03-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I do quite a bit of snow plowing with my Polaris Sportsman 500. On warmer days I go out to the garage to do some casting or take a trip to the range. On colder days I shoot my air pistol in the basement. I've also been playing around trying to develop some handloads for my newly acquired, Contender, .45 70 barrel. I also do a bit of snowshoeing and work on friends'/relatives' guns - mostly cosmetic stuff. This is also the time to collect dogwood shoots that will be made into arrows; and prune the fruit trees/grape vines. Staying busy.

MtGun44
03-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Mapling again Sunday. Good, clean fun.

Bill

Lively Boy
03-05-2011, 12:23 AM
building plastic models and casting and loading rounds.....need to shoot some now.

Just Duke
03-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I'll trade you a dog sled for the .458 straight across.

Just Duke
03-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Bunch of dog sledding videos HERE (http://50caliberforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dogsleddingforum&action=display&thread=2776)
HIKE HIKE!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DOG%20SLEDS/0727_race_dogs.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DOG%20SLEDS/Jan_Bootz_Dittmar.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DOG%20SLEDS/Ken_Chezik.jpg

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/equip&supplies.htm

These are the hand tied dog sleds that I want to make.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DOG%20SLEDS/Allagash_03.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DOG%20SLEDS/5Allagash20with20laced20basket20004.jpg

These two Samoyed's are fast fast. Nice camoflage too. ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v_KmL7JJURo

pls1911
03-05-2011, 04:06 PM
LW hot it about right for North Texas. I plowed last month and mowed the winter leaves off the yard last week. Does at the feeder are a little bit pooch belly, and I patterned bucjkshot behind the Barn yesterday.
I should smelt a few hundred pounds of lead this afternoon, if I finish my honey do list first.
Cabin fever? No here... more like early spring fatigue probably.
I'd welcome a week or two in the hills, shut in with the snow.

The cure? A good hill country pig hunt!

man.electric
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
The cure? A good hill country pig hunt!

If you have excess bacon, send some my way! We are lucky enough to not have pigs destroying our crops up here, but I would really love to go hog hunting. Kill one for me.

kbstenberg
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Who has time to get Cabin Fever!!!! Winter is almost as busy as summer. Fishing, Casting, Wood working, OH ya Honey Do List, Job. Good thing I'm retiring in a year so I can slow down.

lwknight
03-06-2011, 01:06 AM
KB, thats what you think. When I'm not working I have less time and more things to do than when I'm employed full time.

OeldeWolf
03-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Cabin Fever?

I have a touch of SAD, so I have a number of "daylight" bulbs in the house, which seem to help a lot.

My gf/SO is handicapped, and Feb was a really bad month for her, so the house is in miserable shape, I will spend tomorrow trying to make it fit to live in, again. But between work, the house, the family vehicles (professional auto mech here), and my disabled mother needing help with her house, little free time.

This winter, I have also had to deal with what appears to be the arrival of rheumatoid arthritis, and trying to figure out what I will do when it gets bad enough I can not work anymore. I have a daughter in CO with a second house, but my son (local to me now) does not want to live there, due to his mother being there, and his wife being the only asian they saw all week last visit.

And what was that Chinese curse, the one about living in interesting times? lol

:violin: