PDA

View Full Version : help building indoor range/ trap

bingo
02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Basement at work has about 60 feet ot unobstructed isle with a backwall of concrete foundation. Ventalation will be squirrel cage draw fan aimed towards the elevator shaft. Range use will be before or after store hours.

Want to make a backstop/ sand trap. Safety is #1 here. My idea is a piece of steel, maybe 36x60 inches,suspended ,attached to the ceiling at an angle down into abox of sand, maybe 12 inches deep.

Many thanks if someone can give advice on how to and specifics on sizes, thickness, angle etc..

P.S. handguns only

dragonrider
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
A local indoor range uses the exact same type of backstop. 45 degrees should work ok. The material you use for the backstop is of more importance than anything else. I would suggest using a material called T1 and 5/8" to 3/4" thick, depending of calibers used. Ventilation should be at least a furnace blower and I would pipe to the outside and not into a

Wayne Smith
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Ventilation/air movement needs to be at the shooters point, not at the bullet trap. Most lead breathed in indoor ranges has been from the primers, not the boolits.

bigjake
03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Ventilation/air movement needs to be at the shooters point, not at the bullet trap. Most lead breathed in indoor ranges has been from the primers, not the boolits.

Theres lead in primers? why? :confused:

deltaenterprizes
03-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Sand causes back splatter when the lead builds up.

Three44s
03-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Yes, there is lead in primers ......... the exception being the newer lead free ones!

Why? Because they work well and at a lower cost!

Three 44s

Swindler1
03-01-2011, 11:42 PM
:shock:

HammerMTB
03-02-2011, 12:59 AM

It's called lead styphnate, and is part of the explosive/propellant of the primer
lead styphnate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_styphnate)
here's a link to Wikipedia