PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt chunk

heebs
02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Got a few chunks of what I believe is babbitt. The guy I got this from said it was used to run large wheels or bearings on. It melts at 430F which makes me believe it is what they call ASTM #1 babbitt which is 90% tin, 5% antimony and other stuff. Melted it down and I got some froth which is confusing me as I didn't think that much tin would froth. Anybody with experience chime in please. I used Gulf wax as a flux.

Thanks

Heebs
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_83854d6c2af58662f.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=49)

lwknight
03-01-2011, 01:00 AM
I would say to test it in small batches. Mix like 1 ounce to 1 pound of lead and see how it acts and casts. There are strange things out there.
It could be tin/zinc alloy for all you know without a certified analysis

heebs
03-01-2011, 01:10 AM
It casts great. Like I said, it melts to liquid at 430F. Made a couple bullets out of it for fun and they were about 10% lighter than normal, and very brittle. Hit with a hammer and they broke apart. Just out of curiosity, where can you get an analysis?

a.squibload
03-01-2011, 04:34 AM
...Just out of curiosity, where can you get an analysis?

Some scrapyards have a handheld x-ray device that can determine the composition.
They did that for me free when I bought some ingots, etc.
No printout, I took notes.

nanuk
03-01-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a few pieces of babbit.
one is marked #4, which I believe is more lead than tin, the other is not marked... But I was told it is babbit.

I have no access to an xray machine. are their tables to tell the composition using SG?

bobthenailer
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
A+ on the scrap yard test as there are at least 13 + different grades of bearing babbit . a few years ago i bought 150 lbs of foundry type and had this test done at the SY , i think the tester said 58% pb/
28% antomony and 14% tin

Tom W.
03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
All the #4 I have is nickel Babbitt, mostly tin with no lead as per OSHA regs for the industry where I got it from.

The nickle content is very small, as is the copper. It melts at a low temp and cast straight it makes some awfully hard and light bullets.
I save my stash for the tin content...

heebs
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I am also saving this for the tin content. The chunk in the picture ended up with 45 pounds of ingots after cleaning up. Will have to go to the junkyard and see what they say.

Heebs