PDA

View Full Version : H&R Model 12

skeet1
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I recently found a Harrington Richardson Model 12 military target rifle with 28" heavy barrel and target sight mounts like those that were sold by CMP some time ago. It has a Lyman 8X scope mounted on it but did not come with the target sight that I would like. The metal looks new and the barrel is flawless. The stock has handling marks but will clean up as new.

Now comes the hard part finding the sights for a reasonable amount of money. Originally they came with a Redfield Palma rear sight and a Redfield Olympic globe front. they can be found on E-bay and other auction sites for a premium price. Any one know where else I might look for a good buy?

Ken

trooperdan
03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Skeet, you just missed those sights on CMP, they ran out a couple of weeks ago. You might try asking in the CMP forum at www.odcmp.org, someone might have a spare set they would let go without too much premium.

Edited to add that the Olympic front sight is still at the CMP sales store for $29 plus shipping.

GARCIA
03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
You will be amazed at the accuracy of the M12.
Got mine from CMP but had picked up the sights probaly a good 15 years earlier. The sights kept complaining they needed a new home!:)

Hope you find your sights but they will be pricey!

Tom

Calamity Jake
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
This is how mine shoots at 50 yards 5 rounds.

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/HR_Model_12-2.jpg

And 100 scoped, 10 rounds
http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/HR_Model_12.jpg

I have the palma sights for it, there mounted on a Win 52

GARCIA
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Guy by the name of Ken Vianni offers a mount that attaches directly to the rear metallic sight base. No drill or tap scenario. Fairly expensive, last I heard was $75.

Mighty fine shooting their C.J.!

Tom

sagamore-one
03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I beleive the H&R model 12 is one of the most under rated of rimfire rifles. Not glamerous, but extremely accurate and prone user friendly. My son used his model 12 H&R at Purdue and out shot almost everyone on the team. Trigger time and a good coach beat pricey equipment every time. His model 12 shot so well that I got one for myself. It shoots better at 100 than anything else I own, including Anschutz and 40X Remingtons. Only drawback was trying to scope the beast. I ended up making my own mount.
Scoped or iron sighted, the H&R model 12 is an awesome rimfire.

Dale53
03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
I have both the military and commercial version of he Model 12 (the commercial version has a much prettier stock).

They both shoot at World Championship levels. I have a couple of Anschutz match rifles and a Suhl. All are first class match small bore rifles. I started my competition career by shooting smallbore.

The H&R's are as good as it gets when it comes to accuracy. They don't have the Anschutz two stage light pull trigger, but their trigger is as good as the Winchester Model 52's (I had three of them - now down to only a 52 sporter).

I agree that the H&R's are the most underrated smallbore match rifles, ever. They were a great buy from the CMP. I had a Kimber Match Rifle and frankly, the H&R is just flat out a much better rifle.

Dale53