PDA

View Full Version : to everyone that lives in Alaska

jballs918
11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
to all that live up north,

in the very near future i may be heading up there to start working. i am in hte airforce right but i may end up headig up there for a better job. i have a question for you all. i need to know what kind of clothing to get. i will be heading up there most likely in the middle of march. there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration when i do this. i will be flying so weight of everything will be a is issue. i know certain airlines only let you carry so much. also i will be there for up to 90 days. that takes my into the summer, then i head back for another 90. so please let me know what you all think

klausg
11-21-2006, 05:05 PM
jballs- it depends on where in AK, March is still winter, even down here in the "tropics" of the Anchorage bowl. Bullshop can give you better info on the interior, he is fairly close to Fairbanks. If you're going to be working outside, you'll need insulated coveralls, don't mess around with the normal stuff, get the "Arctic" version, ("Arctic" is Carhart, I think Walls is "Blizzard-Pruf" or something like that). You'll also want a pair of bunny boots, (military VB or "mickey mouse" boots), some really good gloves and a balaclava. Polypro longhandles & warm socks go without saying.

Anchorage, typically, doesn't get much worse than -20, and by March we're starting to think about breakup. Hope this helps a little.

-Klaus

Ivantherussian03
11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
I am in the Bush. No one can tell you what to buy; especially without more information. Different activities involve different gear, and equipment. I would just wait to buy things till your here. A hat, wool gloves, and thick wool cap will be enough for March. Winters are not as rough as people might think. But dont get me wrong, the extremes in weather can leave you shattered. I frequently walk to work in 50 below. A winter on the northern plains are comparable, if not worse. Depending on your activities the gear can be incredibly specific and unique to conditions found here in Alaska. Talk to people and be observant, then get out Cabelas catalog and visa.:-D Oh, and you will need a fur hat at some point if you really get out in the winter. If you have questions you can pm me.

Dusty Miller
11-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Be sure and take a lot of bug spray and a 12 ga. shotgun for the mosquitos!! (Hint: shoot the mosquitos BEFORE they land on you!)

PatMarlin
11-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Micky Mouse boots are awesome.. :Fire: