PDA

View Full Version : Using shot gun brass to form jackets?

Tom R
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I was up late last night and I started playing at my bench. I took a lighter and heated up the brass part of a win AA hull it came right off. I tried another and same thing. I started playing around a bit more and took the piece of brass and set it upside down in the lee load all re-sizer. I think you could de rim the brass and use it for a jacket blank. The problem is making dies that will fit in a standard reloading press. I think this is a reason to start machining a run of swaging presses. I have been holding off until I needed one. I have been lucky enough to get away with just my old pacific and bair presses. Does any one have any experience trying this. I think it should work to an extent. I am not sure about the primer I took a few out but I thought maybe you could just swage it flat?

elk hunter
02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Tom,

I believe the base of all the current shotshells are made of mild steel instead of brass. Not that you couldn't use mild steel for jackets as it has and is being done for military rounds. Sitting here thinking about it, they would make an interesting jacket for a modern gauge bore rifle. They wouldn't be terribly strong in that application, but would be interesting none the less.

ReloaderFred
02-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Winchester AA, Remington RXP and Federal top of the line still use brass in their shotgun shells. The rest are either plain steel, or steel that is flash coated with copper. Shotgun primers are almost all steel. A magnet is your friend when trying to decide which is which.

Hope this helps.

Fred

seppos
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
.410 shotshell bases.. problem is that they are not the most common to see in the ranges..

S

RP
03-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Not sure but I was told that some use the shotgun primmer for a jacket for like a 32 or something. Now this is just what I was told years ago never seen it or heard it again. I am sure someone here would know if its fact or fiction.

scrapcan
03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Shotgun primer cups with out the internals are/were extensively used to make 25 acp bullets. I think Corbin still sells a set of dies to do this.