PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Rotary tumbler

sst04
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
I posted this on a couple of other sites so some of you may have seen it, but I figured I would post it here as well.

Decided to make a Home made rotary tumbler for stainless steel. My dad works on typewriters and has a nice selection of old parts.

The Motor and paper rollers are off IBM selectic models. The rollers already had bushings on them, the only thing I really had to do was cut one of the hand wheels off and install the gear.

The Motor is a 1/35hp 1625rpm, It has a clutch on it that will engage the drive gear once the motor gets some speed. Dad said these motors dont go bad, so we will see.

I tried it today with 500+ 40s&w brass just to add some weight to it and there was no difference, seems like it will have enough power to tumble the 5lbs of stainless, water and brass.

If I can not get the cooler lid to seal, Im going to go with a 9in piece of PVC pipe. I installed some paddles inside the cooler to move the media around.

I will end up making everything again so it will look nicer, but only after I see how it will do tumbling for a couple of hours.

So far I only have about 4 hours tied up in it and zero dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkuDFBpKVA

bumpo628
02-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Looks good - nice job.
It looks like you can move the idler closer if you change out the container.

I made one too out of an old treadmill, but I just use it for walnut or corn cob.

94Doug
02-28-2011, 03:50 AM
That's really cool.

Doug

Walter Laich
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
looks great! seems to be quiet, too.

tackstrp
03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
sure look better than what i built. did you pull any thing inside to help agitate like in a washing machine?

Doby45
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I installed some paddles inside the cooler to move the media around.

I would say he did.