PDA

View Full Version : 450 Marlin Cases (Short)

Gtek
02-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I just picked up 1895M in deal and was given a bunch of brass also. Former owner had multiple bags, well marked once fred, twice fired. Going through brass and find out of 100 or so half is over min. trim length 2.090" up to 2.105". The rest are averaging 2.080" or so and a couple down 2.035". Of course all is Hornady brass. There were several unfired "J" evolutions and they were running short of 2.090". Looking to cast up but I think consistent crimp in this whomper might be a goal. I shorten everything up I end up big jump unless I go bigger boolit. Hornady hire some Winchester QC,:killingpc Anyone else experience this? Thanks, Gtek

BABore
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Hornady cases loaded with the gummy tipped bullets are shorter than minimum. They use the same bullet in the 45-70. Since the throats are quite different between the two calibers, they elected to shorten up the 450 case so the same bullet would work with both.

WKAYE
02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Here's how you get out of this mess. Trim all your short brass to 2.080 and toss any much below that. Next, buy a Lee Factory Crimp die in 45/70. Disassemble the die and grind off the required amount, on the bottom where it contacts the shellholder. I don't remember the exact amount, but this does work. To get a starting point, subtract 2.080
from the trim to length of a 45/70. I used a small belt sander. I got rid of the 2 450's I had, brass is hard to find and expensive up here.
Of course your brass still is short, but now you can crimp it.
Hope this helps.

redneckdan
02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
This is just me, but if I had one of them I would send it in to the smith and have the barrel set back a thread. Then rechamber with a 458 2" reamer and use dang near any belted magnum as donor brass.