PDA

View Full Version : No gas checks. Any big deal?

qajaq59
11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
How many don't use gas checks on a 30-30 load. I've been shooting a 170 gr bullet that doesn't use them and they seem to shoot just fine for off-hand practice. It's a real light load with 7.5 grs of Unique and I haven't seen any signs of leading, but I curious if there is any reason not to use them?

versifier
11-21-2006, 10:08 AM
A good reason not to use them is that the little buggers are expensive. If your load shoots accurately without leading, that's an even better reason. :drinks:

Pystis
11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I have shot 185gr Lee boolits that are designed to be shot with GC in 7.62x54R without gas checks with reasonable accuracy. (Minute of clay pigeon) Load was 6gr of VV N310. Quiet and nice to shoot. I shot 2 bunnies with it last winter.:Fire:

44man
11-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I have been shooting a lot of boolits with gas checks and a lot that don't need them. Tell the truth, I can't see a single bit of difference. Some of my most accurate boolits don't have them. The only thing I have found is that if a boolit is made for the check, some will not shoot without it because you lose a drive band.

Buckshot
11-22-2006, 02:29 AM
...............Best if the slug is designed to NOT take them, rather then not use the GC if so designed. But as others have posted, sometimes it works out. I have the Lyman 311410 which is a 130gr RNPB and I think it's really aimed at the 30 M1. However I've used to to good effect in the 30-30, 30-06, 7.62x39 (.308 groove), and the 7.65x53 Argentine.

The 2C mould drops the boolits in common WW area alloy or harder at .314". I don't think I've ever intentionaly fired a GC design without the GC,

................Buckshot

PatMarlin
11-22-2006, 02:39 AM
I've been thinkin' bout' takin' my 311407 GB and removing the gascheck shank on 3 of the cavities.

I think that would make one heck of a versatile .30 cal mold.. :Fire:

Bass Ackward
11-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Nice picture Pat. What did you have to do to get that expression?

Any .... way .................... Stabilization is the key. You have to maintain bullet balance with the center of gravity far enough to the rear of the bullet to make it stabilize. Twist rates, velocity you want to run, bullet design itself, and even peramiters of the load itself. If you can stabilize it under your conditions, it shoots.

9.3X62AL
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM
My experience parallels that of Buckshot--I haven't tried a GC design without checks. A LOT of posters report good results from doing so--it might be worth a try, esp. when you consider that use of a gas check adds over 2 cents to the cost of a given round. Most of my rifle loads use a gas check design--most of my handgun rounds don't.

mastercast.com
11-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I use a 165 grain RNFP plain base bullet in .30-30 cast of linotype, sized .309 with 14.0 grains of Accurate Arms XMP5744. No leading and excellent accuracy. That load is over 1,300 f.p.s..

Mike
mastercast.com

Larry Gibson
11-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I find that many FB designes can be driven to the 1600 fps range with very good accuracy given the proper alloy and lube. Bevel base bullets don't seem to get quite as good accuracy up through that velocity but certainly they are acceptable for practice and fun. I haven't shot many GC desined bullets with out the GCs for some years. I found reasonable accuracy upwards of 1200 fps with some designs, mostly those with long bearing surfaces. I found accuracy was always better with PB bullets so why not just cast them to begin with. After shooting cast bullets for quite a few years I am of the opinion that GC bullets are almost always more accurate than PB/BB bulletswith loads (handgun or rifle) above 1400 fps and many times at lesser velocities.

With that said let me state that "accuracy" is relative. I do in fact shoot lots of "minute of clay pigeon" loads with perfect enjoyment. Understanding the cone of fire of a load at the range I am shooting simply means if I hit within that cone of fire I have shot well, even if the actual target is not hit. For example; I shoot at leaves and dark spots on the 200 yard berm of the range I shoot most often at. Now many of these leaves or dark spots would be smaller than the cone of fire at 100 yards much less 200. If I hit close and "throw dirt in their face" I am happy with the shot. Surprisingly I often actually hit the target. Most often this is off hand shooting with Trapdoors or milsurps (various Mausers and '03s).

I suppose if you have only one mould for a given caliber and it is a GC one might try it without GC. However, are moulds that expensive?

Larry Gibson