PDA

View Full Version : Mauser?

NHlever
02-27-2011, 05:53 PM
In my travels today I ran across a Brazilian model 98 mauser in 30-06 that looked very good on the outside, and was smooth in operation, etc. Though the bore was dirty / dusty it had some shine. The lands looked like they might be a bit rounded. It had a square notch rear sight, and flat topped front sight that I could actually see, and that endeared it to me a bit. The shop wanted $250 for it, and I thought that was pretty good, but I've been out of touch with such things since I stopped building rifles from old mausers several years ago. this one is in original condition as far as I can tell. The 24", or so barrel is threaded on the end, and there is a plunger in the front of the front sight that I didn't see a use for, but other than that it seems complete. Does anyone have more info, or feedback on how good these rifles are. I'm looking for a cast bullet shooter, and won't mess with it as far as "sporterizing" it , etc. If it was rebarreled, it sure looks like it was an arsenal thing since it is still fully military.

Lead Fred
02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
I have a FN Belgan Mauser 30-06. Best $180 I ever spent. It is my cast thrower. Mine had a brand new Parker-Hale barrel in it.
After WWII Browning was all over the world converting mauser plants.

Someone chopped up the stock, and changed the rear sight. I put a brand new K98 rear sight on it, then put it back into full wood. It looks like its been though WWII, but Shoots like a house on fire.

Mk42gunner
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
There is no way you can build a rifle for $250.00. If it meeets your needs, see if the shop will either clean the bore or allow you to do it. I wouldn't buy rifle that had rounded/ extremely worn rifling, but you can't tell until the bore is clean.

Robert

koehn,jim
02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
1908 Brazilian mauser were 7-57 not 30-06. I have seen arsenal re- dos in 308 but not 30-06 are you sure it wasnt an 8mm german re done. Not withstanding the action is plenty stong if its a 98 but the magazine well may not be long enough to feed with 30-06. Does it have the crest on the reciever.

Rico1950
02-27-2011, 08:03 PM
koehn, Jim

"In my travels today I ran across a Brazilian model 98 mauser in 30-06"

NHlever
02-27-2011, 08:32 PM
1908 Brazilian mauser were 7-57 not 30-06. I have seen arsenal re- dos in 308 but not 30-06 are you sure it wasnt an 8mm german re done. Not withstanding the action is plenty stong if its a 98 but the magazine well may not be long enough to feed with 30-06. Does it have the crest on the reciever.

Ah, that is what has me asking here since I hadn't seen a Brazilian 98 in 30-06 before either. I've had a couple of the 7X57's, but I don't believe this is a 1908. It does have a crest on the receiver, and I should have written down the model number it was something 30. It sure looks full military with wood handguard, etc. The action would be a little short for some 06 loads, but it will also feed most of what I would shoot. I'm not into long spitzers or the 200+ grain bullets. Most cast stuff will end up around 3" - 3.100 and that should work OK. I'm a little afraid that some arsenal rechambered some guns that were originally 7.65 X 53 Argentine, or something. I'm pretty sure it was imported by Century Arms out of St. Albans VT. I am also pretty sure that it's not a 1909 Argentine Mauser, but I suppose it could be.

Ben
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
If it has detachable bottom metal, it most likely isn't a 1908 Brazilian.

Ben

HangFireW8
03-06-2011, 05:05 PM

According to my 1996 copy of Ball, the M1908/34 Short Rifle was a Brazilian government refit to .30-06 at the Itajuba arsenal. The rifle has a crest and should be marked MOD.088/34.30 on the side of the receiver.

Or, the gun shop may be all wet. It happens.

Oh, there is also a Brazilian M954 Short Rifle in 30-06. It should have a threaded muzzle.

-HF

NHlever
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
You nailed it! That is exactly what that mauser is.

tinsmith
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the information. A friend just sold me a Brasilian Mauser in 30-06. It is marked: Fabrica De Itajuba - Brasil Mod. 08/34 .30. I was wondering what I had! It is un-cut military issue with a perfect bore. I put just a few rounds of cast through it on my 100yd range back in the woods. Group wasn't too good - almost 4" off the bench. I'll slug the bore to see where we are at.
Just a question for someone more knowledgable than me. The bolt closes firmly on my cast loads, new factory or even GI ball ammo. The chamber seems clean, along wih the bore. Is there a home remedy for this or should I even worry about it. The previous owner shot it with full power J-loads with no problems.

leadman
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Clean the chamber with a brush and solvent. If it is still tight take a couple of thousands off the shell holder and mark it for this gun.

Sometimes if you anneal the neck and shoulder the brass won't spring back as far so it will fit better.

HangFireW8
02-11-2012, 12:46 AM
4"/100 yards is really good start for a military Mauser in original trim. Slugging the barrel might tell you something. Post the measurements and also number of lands/grooves and how deep and wide they are. That '06 barrel may have come from the US, Belgium, or Brazil.

If you have a dial caliper and a piece of metal tubing the right size, you can use them to measure the headspace of your '06 brass. Just slip the tube over the neck and measure the whole thing. Hunt up a bunch of brass and sort them into different lengths, then start chambering them until you run into resistance. That is the headspace measurement of your chamber. Now, compare that measurement to some factory ammo, and see where it sits. It is possible, but highly unlikely you have an undersized chamber. More likely you have a bunch of long headspace brass.

Measure like this:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/24083/catid/8/Hornady__formerly_Stoney_Point__Bullet_Comparator

303carbine
02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
According to my 1996 copy of Ball, the M1908/34 Short Rifle was a Brazilian government refit to .30-06 at the Itajuba arsenal. The rifle has a crest and should be marked MOD.088/34.30 on the side of the receiver.

Or, the gun shop may be all wet. It happens.

Oh, there is also a Brazilian M954 Short Rifle in 30-06. It should have a threaded muzzle.

-HF

That was going to be my answer, I had one of the Itajuba Mod 54 rifles.[smilie=s: