PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 ?

LeeRoy
02-27-2011, 01:36 PM
While surfing the web, something that is a challenge for me. I found this site and joined.

I have reload for a number of cartridges over the years, but only one using cast boolits.

I have a Lyman 450 sizer, when I put it away the last time it was used, I used most of the lube that was in it. but didn't clean or rmove the die. Long story short. I now find that everything has hardened.

What would be the best way to clean it and remove the die?

Thinks for any help !

LeeRoy

Dean D.
02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Howdy LeeRoy, welcome to Cast Boolits!

Try using a heat source like a hair blow drier or heat gun. That should soften up the old lube enough for you to remove the die. I've never completely emptied my lubrisizer so I'll let someone else chime in with instructions on that.

ronbo
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Have been able to remove the dies cold even with hard lube by loosening the die top nut all the way so no threads are engaged. Then I take the small end of the Lyman combination tool, place it under the bottom of the sizing die and push the bullet ejector rod up against the combination tool by lifting the 450 handle. The die should slide up and out. You might have to remove the top punch to get clearance to remove the die.

LeeRoy
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Dean D

Thanks for the reply.
It will be a couple of days before I can do anything to it, I will let you know what happens.

LeeRoy

JCherry
02-27-2011, 02:09 PM
The best way to completely clean out the old lube is to place the 450 in a large container of water and boil everything out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

mtgrs737
02-27-2011, 02:28 PM
The best way to completely clean out the old lube is to place the 450 in a large container of water and boil everything out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

+1 on boiling the sizer out. I remove the handle, and lube pressure disc unit first then I place it in a large pot I got at the second hand store for a $1 and boil until the lube is floating on top. Let cool and skim off the lube then remove the luber and dry and oil to prevent rusting.

mooman76
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
A hair drier will work fine. It also works as a temp heat source if you are using a hard lube and need a little heat to make the lube work easier. I recently changed my lube but I just ran out the old lube as much as I could and added the new. A little of the old lube was there mixed with it for a short while but no big deal to me. If you want to clean it out completely I'd go with the hot water method mentioned.

dragonrider
02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
+1 for the hair dryer, faster, easier and less messy.

Mk42gunner
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I have boiled out an RCBS Lubamatic, once. The next one that I do I will use either an electric heat gun/ hair dryer or a propane torch.

I highly recommend doing this outside. Less chance of annoying any other occuapants of the house or catching the house on fire if things go wrong.

Robert

LeeRoy
02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I will try the hair dryer first. It might be some what messier but easier to control.

LeeRoy

Valley Forge
02-28-2011, 01:51 AM
FWIW, an old and very heavily caked with "who-knows-what" Lyman 450 easily succumbed to a (fairly deep) pan of water simply boiled atop my gas grill. Works well now.

geargnasher
02-28-2011, 04:04 AM
FWIW, an old and very heavily caked with "who-knows-what" Lyman 450 easily succumbed to a (fairly deep) pan of water simply boiled atop my gas grill. Works well now.

+1. I used the side burner on my grille but same idea. If you add a teaspoon or two of Dawn detergent to the water it works much better.

Gear

LeeRoy
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the input !!

I used a hair dryer, and it worked great. As all that I wanted to do was to free everything up, so that I can buy a 357 sizer and new lube.

Now to get on with the rest of the set-up.

Would there be anyone in the Las Vegas NV area that would help someone refresh their memory on this casting addiction.

LeeRoy