PDA

View Full Version : What is everyones favorite 30-30 load using the Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF boolit?

Centaur 1
02-27-2011, 01:12 AM
After checking the Ranch Dog website it looks like he's got another run of these molds coming in, and I have a birthday coming up in about 6 weeks. :grin: I got his 100 grain .380 mold for Christmas and it works so well that I want to move up and start loading full power hunting loads using cast boolits in my Marlin 336SS in 30-30. I have all the equipment that I need because I've been reloading a lot of plinking loads using a Lee 150 RF boolit with a flat base.

What I'm really looking to hear is which powder and charge gives the best results from the guys who use this mold to feed their Marlins. The website is great and he lists loads for just about any powder that you might have. I'm starting fresh and I don't use any of these powders yet. Even though he lists load data for about 45 different gunpowders, everything I use is either too fast for pistols, or too slow for my 30-06. Common sense just tells me that just because a powder is listed and it can work, it doesn't mean that it's the best choice. I've seen that quite a few people use IMR3031, 4895, BL-C2, and several of the Reloader powders. I'm hoping that I can pick the brains of some of you. Is there a powder or two that's a little more forgiving with this boolit? I don't mind working up a good load, I actually enjoy it. I just don't want to make the mistake of buying a powder that's known to cause fits with cast boolits and micro-groove Marlin barrels. I appreciate any info that I can get, and thaks in advance for the help.

btroj
02-27-2011, 08:17 AM
What kind of velocity you looking for? That is the first thing you need to decide. Different powders work well for different velocities.
For under 1500 you could use Unique. For 1400 to 1700 I would use 2400. For over 1700 there are lots of good choices. For top end loads H335 is good. BL C is good but only for top end loads. 4895 is never a bad choice.
For the ultimate in versatility go with RE7. It will allow loads from the 1500 fps level all the way to near top end. Meters well, shoots clean, and just plain works.

As you can see the cartridge, and desired velocity range, explain why some of us own so darn many cans of powder. Each has a specific application where it does very well. Some are multi tasters and they get the most use.

Brad

excess650
02-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I use AA5744 and H322 in both the 30-30 and 30-06. I doubt he lists 5744 as it may only be 50% case capacity, but was developed to be insensitive to position, so works well in most cases.

My notes include H322 under the RD 311-165 from 20-24gr H322. 20gr showed vertical dispersion, 21-23gr nice groups, and 24 opened a bit. Your rifle may react differently.

1Shirt
02-27-2011, 09:19 AM
My 94 likes 16 gr of 2400.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Centaur 1
02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
What kind of velocity you looking for? That is the first thing you need to decide. Different powders work well for different velocities.
For under 1500 you could use Unique. For 1400 to 1700 I would use 2400. For over 1700 there are lots of good choices. For top end loads H335 is good. BL C is good but only for top end loads. 4895 is never a bad choice.
For the ultimate in versatility go with RE7. It will allow loads from the 1500 fps level all the way to near top end. Meters well, shoots clean, and just plain works.

As you can see the cartridge, and desired velocity range, explain why some of us own so darn many cans of powder. Each has a specific application where it does very well. Some are multi tasters and they get the most use.

Brad

I already use Unique and Trail Boss for reduced loads. I'm looking to make a hunting load. It looks like it's fairly easy to get to 2000-2200 fps range, and I'd be happy with anywhere in that range as long as it is accurate. I just know that some powders work better with cast boolits and some are better with jacketed bullets. My understanding, and please correct me is I'm wrong, is that a cast boolit needs a powder that is fast enough to achieve good combustion, but not so fast that chamber pressures spike. Is there a certain powder that is inherently more forgiving when developing a load? I'm not looking to turn a hunting rifle into a tack driver, I just want a good hunting load without having to buy a bunch of different powders. What's that one powder that just seems to work decent no matter which rifle you're using. Maybe even one that can be used to get similar velocity from a 30-06 with this boolit.

Ranch Dog
02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
My 30-30s (5) are all used as big game rifles with 36.0-grains of BL-C(2). The bullets I use settle in at 21 BHN. One day, I might take the time to work with each rifle individually to see if there is something that fine tunes a load better but honestly, they all shoot so good that I leave them alone. They all use slightly different OALs and I vow to one day to actually trim the brass to match the crimp groove.

My dad hunts with a 30-30 full time so the load development was based on his M94. I used that work with my Marlins and one Savage 340. My Dad did switch to a Marlin this year (Glenfield 30TK), never thought he would drop the Winchester but he did.

btroj
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Centaur, I would really look hard at what Ranch Dog said. He is the designer of the bullet and has shot more of them then just about anyone. He also uses them a lot on game. Straight from the horses mouth so to say.

Bras

Centaur 1
02-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mike, that's what I was looking to hear. Does 36 grains show any signs of pressure in any of your rifles, it's a little higher than the listed max? Over on the Marlin forum it seems like a toss up between BL-C(2), 3031, and 4895 with jacketed; and if I remember right isn't it 4895 that's used in the Papajohn load? So I'm guessing it's safe to assume that in the long run I might find a better powder for my gun, but BL-C(2) is a decent starting place and should give good results with this bullet. Thanks.

Lead Fred
02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
I shoot the Ranch Dog mold, though the 30-06 using IMR-4895.
25gr 1700fps- 35gr 1900 fps. is what my 1953 Lyman cast book recommends.

Jech
03-03-2011, 02:44 AM
RD, have you worked up any 165gr plain-base data for use in your Marlins? I don't have a lot of chances to hunt so the majority of my loads will be reduced using the PB version of your mould...very interested to see what others work up for this new style!