PDA

View Full Version : What do you think this stuff is?

robertbank
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
With my new set up I am emptying my Production Pot into my larger 20lb pot. I am getting a froth from the pour similar to what you get when you pour milk into milk. The froth is hard, silver in colour and won't melt into the mix if just left on the surface. I , at first stirred it into the contents and it would mix. I then thought it may just be zinc from small WW that melted when I did my original smelting of the raw WW.

I have decided to remove it from the alloy competely. Thoughts on what it may be?

Take Care

Bob

Bass Ackward
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Robert,

Froth? Metal bubbles?

Are you using the same flux in both pots?

Ricochet
11-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Zinc. Skim it off.

GP100man
11-20-2006, 08:28 PM
robertbank

does alloy cast ok?
if it does it aint zinc.

robertbank
11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
GP100man - Yes, alloy casts ok but I wonder if there is just enough zinc in the alloy to casue it to separate as the alloy pours from one pot to the other.

Bass Ackward - yes I flux with candle wax. IT is more a foam as opposed to bubbles and it is like lead just before it turns liquid. Kind of crystalized.

Ricochet - That is what I am doing now. I kind of think it is zinc as well. In 10lbs I get about a spoonful of the stuff.

Any other ideas feel free to post.

Take Care

Bob

KYCaster
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
robertbank

does alloy cast ok?
if it does it aint zinc.

I agree. I assume this is the setup you posted a pic of last week. If that's true, you're dropping the from the top pot six or eight in. to the bottom pot. The lead is no longer a steady stream, it's separating into individual droplets, each one of them carrying a little air with it.

The froth is just air bubbles. It looks crystalline because it's oxide. It stays on top because it's lighter than lead.

When you add metal to the top pot, flux and stir the bottom pot, that should take care of it.....no need to throw away good alloy.

Wellllll.........that's my opinion, anyway.

Jerry